Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-09-2016, 10:06 AM   #1
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
How to use the search bar ";xxx" commands to launch an app?

On my KT3 (G000KA, 5.8.0), I tried adding an entry to the file /usr/share/webkit-1.0/pillow/debug_cmds.json:
";kt" : "/mnt/us/extensions/kterm/bin/kterm.sh" (to launch kterm by entering ;kt into the search bar)
(also need to do a 'mntroot rw' first, followed by a 'mntroot ro' after editing the file)

Didn't work...
I suppose it couldn't be so easy!

Anybody know how to do it?
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:10 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasser View Post
On my KT3 (G000KA, 5.8.0), I tried adding an entry to the file /usr/share/webkit-1.0/pillow/debug_cmds.json:
";kt" : "/mnt/us/extensions/kterm/bin/kterm.sh" (to launch kterm by entering ;kt into the search bar)
(also need to do a 'mntroot rw' first, followed by a 'mntroot ro' after editing the file)

Didn't work...
I suppose it couldn't be so easy!

Anybody know how to do it?
did you re-boot the kindle after changing the file?
(On the chance that it is cached somewhere.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2016, 10:12 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It actually is that easy, but...

You need to restart the framework before it will pick up the changes.

EDIT: ninjaed...
Oh well, at least I can confirm that is the answer.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:26 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
It actually is that easy, but...

You need to restart the framework before it will pick up the changes.

EDIT: ninjaed...
Oh well, at least I can confirm that is the answer.
Thanks.

I recall you suggested that we install a custom search bar command (for something that I don't recall - ??MrPI??).
So I was pretty sure that it should work.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:32 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

;log mrpi

Actually, that overwrote script used in the default command. Inspired the by complete absence of a working KUAL booklet on the newest devices.

But several people have written about adding custom searchbar commands, and it is even specifically called out as working in the Wiki documentation: Kindle_Touch_Hacking#Search_Bar_Shortcuts

Me, I happen to use several custom commands, so I know how it works.

Protip: when in doubt, restart the framework, it (caching) is usually the answer.
Advert
Old 09-09-2016, 10:36 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Oh, by the way knc1, what's with the new avatar?
Old 09-09-2016, 10:40 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Oh, by the way knc1, what's with the new avatar?
I was just getting tired of the old one.

This one I made for one of my web-sites, a site I was taking down earlier this week (the one that was the source of the 503 errors).

It is a digital copy of "His Master's Voice" - - minus the dog.

Last edited by knc1; 09-09-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:23 PM   #8
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Worked after a restart. Thanks, knc1 and eschwartz!
Thanks too for the pointer to the wiki entry.
The wiki entry does not mention that a restart is required, so wouldn't have helped me if I'd found it first!
Old 09-09-2016, 12:27 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Worked after a restart. Thanks, knc1 and eschwartz!
Thanks too for the pointer to the wiki entry.
The wiki entry does not mention that a restart is required, so wouldn't have helped me if I'd found it first!
Congratulations on #300.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:18 PM   #10
nasser
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Congratulations on #300.
Thank you, knc1!

As you can see, I joined MR back in 2010. Been more of a lurker than a poster!
Old 09-09-2016, 01:58 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I was just pointing out that it is definitely supposed to work. As for the Wiki, once I noticed it I also recognized it needed a tweak -- which I have now done.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:38 AM   #12
nasser
Evangelist

Oops!
It only worked on PW1 (B024, 5.3.6)
It doesn't work on KT3 (G000, 5.8.0 factory)... even after a restart
Strangely, ;711(and maybe the others too) still works on the same KT3

Can't figure this out...
Old 09-10-2016, 10:51 AM   #13
nasser
Evangelist

Doesn't work on PW3 either (G090, 5.7.4 factory)
Here too, ;711 still works.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:58 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Doesn't work on PW3 either (G090, 5.7.4 factory)
Here too, ;711 still works.
Two more serial number characters please.
There are 8 different models that start with those first four:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
Old 09-10-2016, 11:14 PM   #15
nasser
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Two more serial number characters please.
There are 8 different models that start with those first four:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
Works on PW1 (B02416)

Doesn't work on PW3 (G090G1) and KT3 (G000KA)