Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-04-2010, 01:28 PM   #1
foldh7
foldh7 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Question screenshot from imageviewer (directly) - as hack

I have an idea/feature request that could be possible with a jailbroken kindle and would be useful (for me at least):
The possibility to take a screenshot (alt+shift+G) and somehow view the saved image from the kindle.
This is possible by plugging in the kindle over usb and copying the saved *.gif image from the "documents" folder to a "pictures\screenshots" folder...but I would like to achieve this WITHOUT having to connect the kindle to a PC.

Use case:
Railroad time table lookup over the browser. Store the result (as Screenshot) and be able to load it later - without 3G/WiFi or USB/PC connection.

Approach:
No idea ;-) Perhaps even a symlink from documents folder to pictures\screenshots would already do the job? I tried set this up: But creating symlinks is not allowed / possible (when attached over USB as fat filesystem). And microsoft ".lnk" does not work (as expected).

Perhaps one of the jailbreak experts could advise if / how this could be done - or would even be so kind to create a patch just for me...
foldh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, foldh7.

Someone should step in soon with suggestion.....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
A quick script to dump the fb to a new file in the pictures folder on ALT+G via the hotkeys hack?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
foldh7

Hello NiLuJe,

Thanks for your suggestion so fast: Didn't know about the hotkeys hack - does it already work for k3?

I would surely have to look up how to dump a framebuffer (and generate a png out of it...) - your proposal sounds slightly more complicated than I had hoped ;-) but good to know that it should be doable.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
foldh7

Same request - different subforum: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=101200
Advert
Old 10-04-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

fbgrab, or something based on the fbgrab code should do the job. QtE for Kindle uses something similar, AFAIK.

EDIT: Or not. fbgrab doesn't seem to support low bitdepth framebuffers.

It might not even be needed, we may have access to a way to get a ready to use fb dump in a more common image format, but I've never looked into this, so I'm not sure about that .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-04-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:51 PM   #7
foldh7

@NiLuJe: Is it possible gain write access to "/opt/amazon/ebook/config/framework.fiona.conf" (usbNetwork/telnet works fine, but not with write permission to this config file)?

I would like to set
PICTURE_DIR_INTERNAL:
from
/mnt/us/pictures
to
/mnt/us
--> this should list the "documents" [=default screenshot] directory as selectable directory from the image viewer...or I hope so ;-)
Old 10-05-2010, 03:59 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Fiona is the K2 (Codename: Fiona, Platform: Mario), so that config's not used on a K3 (Codename: Shasta, Platform: Luigi).

But to anwser your question anyway, read the nice MOTD shown on an SSH login .
Old 10-05-2010, 04:06 PM   #9
foldh7

ssh root@10.0.0.2 works fine

Last edited by foldh7; 10-05-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:12 PM   #10
foldh7

Oh and framework.luigi.conf does not have similar settings anyway...so I give up for now: The idea is probably not worth much time (and the risk to break the device...) - but many thanks for your help!
Old 10-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #11
foldh7

deleted

Last edited by foldh7; 10-05-2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: solution above
Old 10-05-2010, 05:20 PM   #12
isotherm
Connoisseur
isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 2
You could symlink pictures to .. if you want to do it that way.
isotherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #13
foldh7

I had already tried symlinks (several combinations could probably achieve the goal) if the filesystem type would support links...but both "docments" and "pictures" reside in the FAT part (/mnt/us/) of the storage.

So I think the only "simple" approach would be to reconfigure either
a) the picuture-viewer application (consider the documents parent as pictures-root to find screenshots)
or
b) the screenshot tool (placing screenshots in /mnt/us/pictures/shoots/ instead of in /mnt/us/ for the picture-viewer to see them).
Old 08-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #14
foldh7

Finally solved my request via launchpad...so trivial ;-)

1.) Create the empty folder "pictures/screenshots"
2.) Add to launchpad.ini: Z = !cp /mnt/us/documents/*.gif /mnt/us/pictures/screenshots

Now you can:
* Take a Screenshot via alt + shift + G
* Press SHIFT,Z
* View the new Screenshot (and any older/other gifs from the documents folder) via the picture-viewer application

From time to time cleanup the gifs (or install a "rm *.gif" launch).
Old 04-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #15
alban
Enthusiast
alban began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hi foldh7 - oldish thread i know....
Thanks for the work round.
This would be useful to me but I can't seem to get the script to work. I made an .ini file like the one you did above and put it in the 'Launchpad' folder. I.e.

[Actions] ##
Z = !cp /mnt/us/documents/*.gif/mnt/us/Pictures/Screenshots

and created Pictures/Screenshots in the root directory.
'Shift,Z' just fails after taking a screenshot with Alt+Shift+G. (I did S,S,Space to load the new command).
I have other folders in 'Pictures'. Imageviewer works OK with these other images.
When I looked at launchpad.ini all I could see were a lot of instructions etc nowhere really to put a command hence I made a separate .ini file and tried that. I am a novice tho'!

SOLVED: I'm a dolt! Missed the space after *.gif - now works a treat as a separate .ini script. Have to remember to press alt + Z to make it visible in the Home pages.
Thanks - great for maps.

Last edited by alban; 04-24-2012 at 09:35 AM.
alban is offline   Reply With Quote