Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 07-15-2017, 10:46 AM   #1
GimmeN289plz
GimmeN289plz began at the beginning.

Device: N289
Unhappy Private Message Issue

Hello,

Can someone help me as to why I can't receive private messages? Everyone is telling me 'its in the settings' but I can't find what I need anywhere.
GimmeN289plz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:42 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Click on User CP. Look under settings and options. Click on Edit Options.
Scroll down to messaging & notifications. Check the box beside Enable private messages.

If you do not have the enable private message screen, post more. There may be a minimum post limit.
Introduce yourself in the introduce forum if you haven't already.

Come down to the lounge and play the games or talk about whatever.

Take part in the general discussions.
Get to know us and let us get to know you. We don't bite as a general rule.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 07-15-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:18 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Click on User CP. Look under settings and options. Click on Edit Options.
Scroll down to messaging & notifications. Check the box beside Enable private messages.
It's not that simple. Some new members get those options right away; others have to wait. I've asked about this in the Moderators forum, and unfortunately none of us know the logic behind this. Possibly it's related to IP / Geograohy / eMail address / Forum activity, but these are just guesses.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:23 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
It's not that simple. Some new members get those options right away; others have to wait. I've asked about this in the Moderators forum, and unfortunately none of us know the logic behind this. Possibly it's related to IP / Geograohy / eMail address / Forum activity, but these are just guesses.
I did not know that. Let me edit my post.
Edited post. Thanks PeterT.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 07-15-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:36 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I never seem to be able to find the forum rules when I want them....I think it's the number of posts. I think new users have to post at least 10 times before they can do chat or have a signature.

Sorry I can't point to where that's at (or even if I'm not remembering it exactly right).

Edited to add:

Naturally, I found them after I posted. They're at the BOTTOM not the TOP of the pages. It's not as specific as I thought. From the Guidelines:

Quote:
11. New Member Restrictions

We have found it necessary to add certain anti-spam measures. They include restrictions to new user registrations. For example, new members cannot set up a signature and they may not manually add an in-post signature to their posts.

These restrictions are lifted automatically once a new member has proved to be a member with good intentions (which directly correlates to number of posts and length of time as a member).

Last edited by FizzyWater; 07-15-2017 at 05:40 PM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:30 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I never seem to be able to find the forum rules when I want them....I think it's the number of posts. I think new users have to post at least 10 times before they can do chat or have a signature.
It isn't the number of posts for PMs. The reason for the thread is that GimmeN289plz is asking me to send a PM, but, I couldn't as PMs weren't enabled. And the option for it was missing from the control panel. There are plenty of people who have PMs enabled with only one post, and I have received them from people with no posts. I can only guess there is something else involved. In the thread were this was happening, I speculated it might have been something to do with the domain for the email address used when signing up, or the account validation email.

But, it seems to have been fixed. I was just able to send a PM. GimmeN289plz is up to six posts, so maybe that's the count needed if there is something questionable about the signup.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:19 PM   #7
GimmeN289plz
GimmeN289plz began at the beginning.

Device: N289
Many thanks from me for all of your help truly! My apologies with my lack of ability to message consistently and explain my situation.

My son and I are travelling to see his grandma abroad for her birthday. We have limited internet availability where we are and my son bought this ereader at a garage sale with his allowance for his grandmother's birthday only to find out the ereader is bricked and now he has nothing to give to grandma. We were hoping to have it fixed by her birthday but circumstances beyond out control didn't allow that to happen. We gave it to her anyways and told her we would fix it as soon as possible. She was grateful and my son was happy. Now it is just my mission to fix it and then simply mail it to her.

I am downloading the link now and will let you know how I make out. Thank you again for your patience and understanding. I am looking forward to participating on the forums in the near future!

- Cody
GimmeN289plz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:10 AM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Good luck.