Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #46
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
You have to keep buying your books from them, or buy a non-Kindle eReader.
Didn't get it. Why do i need to buy books from Amazon ?
I do have a lot of books. Not a single bought from Amazon.
Simply convert them using calibre to mobi/pdf and read on DX.

Just bought DX 'cause it's a big reader like PB 903 (still waiting).
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:06 PM   #47
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekchick View Post
My relationship with my DXG is equal parts love and frustration. Since the initial DX launch (do you remember that they made a big deal about it being the first Kindle with PDF support?), owners have complained about its barebones approach to PDF support. Sadly, except for inadequate zoom presets, there haven't been any real enhancements to DX's PDF features. It seems that Amazon is ignoring the feedback.

Although I squee with glee when I win Kindle Scrabble, I'd be truly overjoyed if Amazon deployed more core features instead of making Kindle into a social networking and monochrome gaming device that also handles e-books. I don't mind if other people use their Kindles like a toy; to each their own. My worry is that Amazon seems to be focusing on soft features while neglecting to enhance Kindle's usefulness as a tool. It can do both.
Let's wait until new year.
Amazon has already announced lending feature for ALL Kindles this year; not many days left. That includes Kindle DX Graphite. New feature = new firmware; hopefully totally up to date firmware for DX.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #48
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Didn't get it. Why do i need to buy books from Amazon ?
I do have a lot of books. Not a single bought from Amazon.
Simply convert them using calibre to mobi/pdf and read on DX.

Just bought DX 'cause it's a big reader like PB 903 (still waiting).
You're referring to DRM-free books?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:54 AM   #49
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
No. This is for Lending books to other Kindle user, for 14 days. Has nothing to do with the DRM protection itself. The book won't be "readable" for you, the owner, during the process.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #50
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Let's wait until new year.
Amazon has already announced lending feature for ALL Kindles this year; not many days left. That includes Kindle DX Graphite. New feature = new firmware; hopefully totally up to date firmware for DX.
My plan is to remain secretly hopeful, but keep my expectations low so as to avoid potential disappointment. I think that's called cautious optimism.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #51
SkyDream
Wizard

Quote:
Sure.
All of my books are DRM-free.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:50 PM   #52
physics
Enthusiast
physics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX
Hi all-
I sent amazon's dx feedback an email, asking:
1) When the update with ability to lend books would be released, and
2) Whether the pdf capabilities of the dx would also be updated to those of the kindle 3.
This is the response I got:

------
Hello,

At present, we've made no announcement about a new Kindle features, so I'm unable to answer your question. We will let you know when it is widely available.

We're regularly working on improvements to your Kindle experience. I've let the Kindle team know you're interested in this feature.

-----
I'm a little confused now...I'd assume that the lending feature counts as a "new feature announced". Does this mean they've canceled the lending feature? I'd expect some announcement about it...anyway, I thought I'd post in case someone had a similar response.
physics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:54 PM   #53
Osiyo
Osiyo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Keep sending those emails, it's the most we can do to get an update.
Osiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:36 PM   #54
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
It's just bizarre that the k3 has better PDF features than the dx. Reading PDF on a device that small where you can't easily zoom and pan b/c of the slow refresh is just painful. On the dx, I imagine it's much more tolerable, and yet...
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:55 AM   #55
SkyDream
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
It's just bizarre that the k3 has better PDF features than the dx. Reading PDF on a device that small where you can't easily zoom and pan b/c of the slow refresh is just painful. On the dx, I imagine it's much more tolerable, and yet...
Complained a few days ago about this desaster.
There answer was to tell me how to read PDF on my KDXG

Well, fortunately there's the feedback link. So i asked if anyone read my mail or if they just picked up some keyword for their database to provide automatic answers. Told them i would like to have some authorized answer about the missing feature of this high-end expensive product compared to the less expensive K3 with that many features.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:46 AM   #56
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm glad I sold my DXG way back in September. I had a feeling the "support for PDF to match that of the K3" was BS, and so it was, apparently. So much gets picked up as fact when it can be traced to a wishful thinking clod who dreams about improvements, mentions this in a thread someplace, and then people start to quote and misquote the dream as though it was a promise from Amazon, or God, or some equally unlikely source. Obviously had Amazon ever promised such a thing it would have been done by now. Someone, sometime, someplace took something out of context and this whole myth then took on a life of its own.

I personally found the DXG to be too bulky and heavy, and rather pathetic with PDFs. And since I bought it specifically to read PDFs, it went by by! I've held on to my K3 even though I have two Sony Readers (350 and 950) which are much better and a NOOKcolor which is great for certain kinds of documents. But come Xmas the K3 is being gifted to my sister.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:30 PM   #57
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
seriously folks, while you wait just download Duokan.....been using it for a few days now and handles my pdfs really well.

pretty sure amazon will drop the update soon..it's a new device after all so it's bound to get some new features
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:19 AM   #58
rty
Zealot
rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle DXG, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by max99 View Post
seriously folks, while you wait just download Duokan.....been using it for a few days now and handles my pdfs really well.

pretty sure amazon will drop the update soon..it's a new device after all so it's bound to get some new features
Duokan is fine but somehow all my previsouly defined collections were not carried over to Duokan. Also, any ebooks moved to new Category created under Duokan disappeared when I switched back to the old Kindle system.
rty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:22 AM   #59
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by rty View Post
Duokan is fine but somehow all my previsouly defined collections were not carried over to Duokan. Also, any ebooks moved to new Category created under Duokan disappeared when I switched back to the old Kindle system.
collections in kindle are just an internal pointer to file locations. Duokan dosen't support these but for me it goes one better and supports full directory sorting.

what i did was organise all my books into subject folders so I can navigate easily in Duokan. Kindle meanwhile ignores the directories so i just create collections as normal. no need to duplicate files....so it's easy.

i basiaclly use Duokan for PDFs and reading manga...it's far superior to Kindle DXG for those specific things.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:52 AM   #60
vyiciu
vyiciu began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX Graphite
I also sent an email to customer feedback, specifically about pdf handling and whether it would come along with the lending function in a firmware update before the year ends. This was their response:

Hello,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and suggestions with us. I'm sorry for the inconvenience due to less PDF features.

I see that you have written a feedback of Kindle DX with reasonable suggestion.

The Kindle team and the associated departments will be more happy to read the feedback about their creation.

I've passed your message to all the appropriate people. We value this kind of feedback, as it helps us continue to improve our store and provide better Kindle experience.

As they are making more improvements in the Kindle software they will consider your feedback.

Again I'm sorry that I don't have more information when the lending function will be launched.

I appreciate more feedback from you. Thanks for your interest in Kindle.
––––––––

So... still nothing new, but I do think user pressure will help eventually?
vyiciu is offline   Reply With Quote