Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 09-04-2020, 10:14 PM   #1
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Is there a way to update a TOC that's inserted inline?

I like having inline TOCs on my ePubs. However if I make an edit to the TOC after inserting it, I have to delete and then re-insert it. Is there some trick that I missed to update it?

ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:00 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
AFAIK a properly identified Inline TOC updates, but IIRC Calibres editor always puts it (the replacement) at the beginning.

Sigil leaves the placement intact
Different tools, different results which is why I use both
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2020, 04:50 PM   #3
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Odd, because mine didn't update. I used the "insert inline TOC" thing on a new file (toc_page.xhtml). Is there anything else I need to do to make it identify properly?
Old 09-05-2020, 04:56 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
AFAIK a properly identified Inline TOC updates, but IIRC Calibres editor always puts it (the replacement) at the beginning.

Sigil leaves the placement intact
Different tools, different results which is why I use both
But with Calibre and Sigil, you can easily move where the internal ToC. (I consider the NCX ToC the ToC).

But why bother with this ToC for an ePub? There is no software to go to that ToC as easily as you can with the NCX ToC. With Kobo, ADE, Calibre, using the ToC button brings up the NCX ToC and having a Contents entry is redundant as that means going from one to the other when you do not need to.

Another reason there's no need for this internal ToC is that you have the NCX ToC and if it's an ePub3, you also have the NAV ToC.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:19 PM   #5
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I have difficulty selecting the TOC entries on my Kobo. The inline ones are easier.
Advert
Old 09-05-2020, 06:48 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Odd, because mine didn't update. I used the "insert inline TOC" thing on a new file (toc_page.xhtml). Is there anything else I need to do to make it identify properly?
The Generate inline TOC is derived from the NCX TOC.
If that was NOT what you wanted (You want a way different TOC view), simply set the Semantics on your HTML file to 'Table of Contents' (this is what I ment as 'properly marked'. Using the Generate... button also does this step after creating the file)
Old 09-05-2020, 06:54 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But with Calibre and Sigil, you can easily move where the internal ToC. (I consider the NCX ToC the ToC).

But why bother with this ToC for an ePub? There is no software to go to that ToC as easily as you can with the NCX ToC. With Kobo, ADE, Calibre, using the ToC button brings up the NCX ToC and having a Contents entry is redundant as that means going from one to the other when you do not need to.

Another reason there's no need for this internal ToC is that you have the NCX ToC and if it's an ePub3, you also have the NAV ToC.
I DO move it. Drag. Done.
The reason, is I usually only keep it when it is the 'longer version', not simply a mirror of the NCX.

@Owned
Does your Kobo have the latest FW?
Tap the center: The whole lower-left (where it says Chapter...) will take you to the (NCX) TOC when tapped
Old 09-05-2020, 08:24 PM   #8
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
@Owned
Does your Kobo have the latest FW?
Tap the center: The whole lower-left (where it says Chapter...) will take you to the (NCX) TOC when tapped
I know where it is. I just find it easier to use an inline TOC.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:47 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I have difficulty selecting the TOC entries on my Kobo. The inline ones are easier.
I find that strange. I generally find the in-line ToC pages badly constructed and I have to be accurate with the touch to use them. The ToC screen allows tapping anywhere on the line. Plus, to get to the in-line ToC page, I would have to use the ToC screen to navigate there.

Is the issue the size of the lines on the ToC screen? Or something else?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:21 AM   #10
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Yes, the size of the Kobo ToC I find a bit too small. With the inline, I can increase font size.
Old 09-06-2020, 02:01 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Yes, the size of the Kobo ToC I find a bit too small. With the inline, I can increase font size.
Have you tried the "Large Print Mode" in the Beta Features? That can adjust the size of the interface.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 02:17 AM   #12
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I just turned it on, but it only seems to increase the font size in the ToC menu while leaving the buttons themselves the same size.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:54 AM   #13
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I like the inline TOC, but I have my own CSS in

C:\Users\<userid>\AppData\Roaming\calibre\resource s\templates\inline_toc_styles.css

Making an inline TOC pulls this CSS in to format it. Might be an option if you want to make the font larger, etc.

Spoiler:

li > ul {margin-bottom: 1em;
}

ul.level1 {
padding-left: 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;
margin-top: 1em;
margin-left: 0;
text-decoration: none;
}

ul.level2 {font-size: 100%;
}

ul.level3 {font-style: italic;
}

li {margin-top: 1em; list-style-type: none;
}

a {text-decoration: none;
color: black;
}

a:hover {
border-top-style: solid; border-bottom-style: solid; padding-bottom: 2px;
padding-top: 1px;
border-top-width: 2px; border-bottom-width: 2px;
color: white; background-color: black;
}
h2 {
page-break-before: always;
page-break-after: avoid;
text-indent: 0;
text-align: center;
margin-top: 0;
margin-bottom: 1em;
font-size: 2.5em;
font-weight: bold;
font-style: normal;
color: blue;
}
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:18 AM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I just turned it on, but it only seems to increase the font size in the ToC menu while leaving the buttons themselves the same size.
Odd. I tried large print mode with it's default of 145% and the numbers of entries displayed on each page of the ToC was reduced and the line height noticeably increased. Since each line is a "button", this would seem to make tapping on a line easier.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:13 PM   #15
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

There's no option to set the percentage for the large print mode on the Kobo Aura HD, just a "on" checkbox. Line height didn't increase for me. (Also I found that there's a Solitaire game built into my Kobo. Nice.)