Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-23-2020, 07:32 AM   #1
pinko
pinko doesn't litterpinko doesn't litterpinko doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox C67
New Onyx Boox Nova2!

Ok, there is a new ebook reader in town
Onyx Boox Nova2 promises very well: more powerful processor (Qualcomm ), memory and loger battery life, better connectivity, microphone, Android 9.0 and OTG support.

Here all the info and a video teaser
https://notebookitalia.it/onyx-boox-...zo-video-29531

Bye
pinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:18 AM   #2
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Yep, hopefully we'll get android 9, fingers crossed.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2020, 10:43 AM   #3
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Yep, hopefully we'll get android 9, fingers crossed.
What problem do you have with the existing Android version that you absolutely want a new version?
Everything works for me.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:19 AM   #4
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
What problem do you have with the existing Android version that you absolutely want a new version?
Everything works for me.
I've no problems with android 6 everything runs smoothly it's just that if you promise something you should deliver.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:30 AM   #5
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
I've no problems with android 6 everything runs smoothly it's just that if you promise something you should deliver.
Yes, if it is possible!
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2020, 04:27 AM   #6
N8Walker
N8Walker began at the beginning.

Device: onyx
Seems to be a Nova Pro upgrade.
IMHO: WiFi dual-band (2.4GHz/5GHz) + OTG are the only benefits to a Nova Pro.
Better hardware (speed/ram/android) will not be noticeable in most of the use cases.

This release buried my hope that nova Pro will get an android 9 update. (So ​​far, Onyx has only supplied new devices with a new os-versions (Android 6 to 9 would be a huge jump)).

I have returned my nova pro and will wait for the nova 2 (5GHz wifi is the main reason).
N8Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:33 AM   #7
Gibbo
Guru

Got this reply from @OnyxBoox twitter response to my inquiry about the Android upgrade:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200324-102958_Twitter.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	574.4 KB
ID:	177879  
Old 03-24-2020, 11:29 PM   #8
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
Quote:
Got this reply from @OnyxBoox twitter response to my inquiry about the Android upgrade:
yeah,. typical from onyx, just lie lie and lie about updates, release new devices and then stop answering anything about the old ones.

From "android 9 on november" to we are working on porting some feature to android 6.

suuuure onyx, sure. It makes a lot of sense to lose your time porting things to A6 when those already exists on the upgrade that you promised for later.

don't believe their lies.

Last edited by whopper; 03-25-2020 at 02:33 AM.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:31 AM   #9
N8Walker
N8Walker began at the beginning.

Device: onyx
it's no use bashing onyxboox.

From my point of view there is no device out there, that offers me as much as a nova does.

Everyone should make a decision for himself whether he buys one now or wait for the next release, that's the consequence of this kind of marketing. I returned my nova pro, bought 2 days earlier. I was in the same situation 8 years ago buying an Onyx Boox i62 HD + Light. At that time onyx stared releasing new devices with android. I never got an update
even though onyx released some identical (tech.specs) devices with android.

I dropped the i62 two weeks ago after 8 years of use, otherwise I would have continued to use it.
(8 years, no issues and perfect battery life, even without android or maybe because of the lack of android ?! :-D)
N8Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:40 PM   #10
pinko
pinko doesn't litterpinko doesn't litterpinko doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox C67
Ok, there are the first live photos and the video of Onyx Boox Nova 2.
I don't see many differences with the Nova 1 about design, but it's a real hardware upgrade. sounds good

Unboxing video and first start -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyEwp073e4I

There are also interesting details in the article -> https://notebookitalia.it/onyx-boox-...nteprima-29540
pinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:25 PM   #11
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually
SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nova Air C
does it have a speaker ?
SleepWithMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:44 PM   #12
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWithMachine View Post
does it have a speaker ?
Apparently not: https://www.boox.com/nova2/

Looks like a very decent ereader. Certainly, it has features which I would love such as the increase in RAM and the OTG functionality. Just not enough of an upgrade to cause me to ditch my Nova Pro which I continue to be quite happy with.

I can wait. Hopefully, a decent colour e-ink ereader will eventually come on the market at an affordable price.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:29 PM   #13
mtreader
Connoisseur
mtreader began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Nova 2, Kobo Clara
So the Onyx product page for the Nova pro lists all the file types supported, but the product page for the Nova 2 has nothing https://onyxboox.com/boox_nova2. Does anyone know how to learn what files are supported? (I want to be sure mp3 still is among them.)

Also, if anyone has used an eternal keyboard or text-to-voice with any Nova, I'm interested to learn how it worked fo you. Thanks!

Last edited by mtreader; 03-26-2020 at 10:34 PM.
mtreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:04 PM   #14
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtreader View Post
So the Onyx product page for the Nova pro lists all the file types supported, but the product page for the Nova 2 has nothing https://onyxboox.com/boox_nova2. Does anyone know how to learn what files are supported? (I want to be sure mp3 still is among them.)
I think your link was to the Russian site.

If you go to the official Onyx site and scroll to the bottom of the page, you will see in the specifications that it supports both WAV and MP3 audio formats.

https://www.boox.com/nova2/
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:23 AM   #15
mtreader
Connoisseur
mtreader began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Nova 2, Kobo Clara
[QUOTE=Question Mark;3968652]I think your link was to the Russian site.

Thank you! That page is much more useful.
mtreader is offline   Reply With Quote