Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-28-2009, 09:38 PM   #16
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I was recently reminded that I've never tried to install Wattpad on my LG Dare, so I decided to try it. Alas, it makes the third java e-book app that, despite assurances to the contrary, would not install on my phone.

At this point, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with Verizon, my carrier, and the way they trick out the phone to prevent its downloading anything other than what comes in Verizon's app store (which they will dutifully charge you for). Since they don't have an e-book reader in their apps... not even a PDF reader... a Dare owner on the Verizon network is SOL on e-books.

Oh, well... there's still my trusty PDA...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:34 AM   #17
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
At this point, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with Verizon,

YES.

Verizon locks down there phones with customfirmware
they disable bluetooth AND Java aps.

they want you to only buy there crap.

switch to T-mo or At&t and get a phone from them. they are fully open, have bluetooth that isn't crippled and has java support.

Verizon phones suck.

but your phone should have a simple TXT reader one it. but it would be hard as hell getting it one cause like I said, bluetooth is disabled.

there are ways to install stuff, but it involves hacking and breaking verizons filesystem and not all phones are able to do this...

last time I tried was with my Moto Razr 2 years ago, and it was buggy as crapy.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2009, 07:08 AM   #18
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yah... not worth the trouble. Maybe when ANY cell service reaches my valley I'll switch. Meantime, my PDA is fine.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:42 PM   #19
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
I was recently reminded that I've never tried to install Wattpad on my LG Dare, so I decided to try it. Alas, it makes the third java e-book app that, despite assurances to the contrary, would not install on my phone.

At this point, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with Verizon, my carrier, and the way they trick out the phone to prevent its downloading anything other than what comes in Verizon's app store (which they will dutifully charge you for). Since they don't have an e-book reader in their apps... not even a PDF reader... a Dare owner on the Verizon network is SOL on e-books.

Oh, well... there's still my trusty PDA...
Steve the problem is not with Verizon but with your phone. Your phone has to come with a Java virtual machine in order to run Java. That is the real reason you phone will not work.
Most lower end phones tend to be bolted down to reduce cost.
However you should be able to read off of their web site at m.wattpad.com through the Dare browser.

If you want more out of your phone you might want to look at smartphones. Like a PocketPC phone or a BlackBerry.

I've had both a PocketPC and BlackBerry of the years on Verizon and have enjoyed the quality of Verizon services without any restriction on my phones.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 06-29-2009 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Clarity
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:48 PM   #20
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Steve the problem is not with Verizon but with your phone. Your phone has to come with a Java virtual machine in order to run Java. That is the real reason you phone will not work.
Most lower end phones tend to be bolted down to reduce cost.
According to other sources, the LG Dare can in fact download and run 3rd-party apps. It's just the Dare on Verizon phones that are specifically locked down by Verizon, taking that ability away from you. (Wattpad confirms this.) Of course, the fact that the Dare (which, as far as I can tell, wasn't considered a "low-end" phone when Verizon offered it) is locked out of accessing outside apps is one of those things Verizon has a knack of not mentioning when they give you the phone... you always have to find these things out the hard way.

Quote:
However you should be able to read off of their web site at m.wattpad.com through the Dare browser.
Well, as I'm the kind of person who wants to own his e-books, reading them off of the site (if I have access, if the document is available, etc, etc) isn't for me.

At any rate, it's not worth replacing the phone over, at least not until I find myself needing to replace my PDA as well, and decide to go the smartphone route. It just would have given me another convenient e-book reader, that's all...
Advert
Old 06-29-2009, 03:57 PM   #21
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
According to other sources, the LG Dare can in fact download and run 3rd-party apps. It's just the Dare on Verizon phones that are specifically locked down by Verizon, taking that ability away from you. (Wattpad confirms this.) Of course, the fact that the Dare (which, as far as I can tell, wasn't considered a "low-end" phone when Verizon offered it) is locked out of accessing outside apps is one of those things Verizon has a knack of not mentioning when they give you the phone... you always have to find these things out the hard way.
Steve you are missing my point. Wattpad is a Java executable. LG Dare does not support Java it supports BREW(a competing technology to Java). To say Verizon locks it's phone because you cannot install an incompatible executable is incorrect. It's like trying to download a Mac program on Windows and saying Microsoft locks it's OS because it does not work.

Verizon does not lock it's phone, but it does not make installing 3rd party apps easy. You have to buy their PC-Phone connection and install them manually. See links below on how to install and 3rd party apps.

Example of how to install Flash games on your LG Dare

You need to install a BREW app on your LG Dare, and there are BREW apps you can install see the links below:

LG Dare Apps

Quote:

Well, as I'm the kind of person who wants to own his e-books, reading them off of the site (if I have access, if the document is available, etc, etc) isn't for me.

At any rate, it's not worth replacing the phone over, at least not until I find myself needing to replace my PDA as well, and decide to go the smartphone route. It just would have given me another convenient e-book reader, that's all...
Yes same here I much prefer to download the Books, your not missing much, the formatting on the Wattpad apps is not very good. I much prefer PDF, eReader or Mobi files over Wattpad.

BTW I switch to the smartphone route once my PDA died. I can tell you that was a great choice, I wish I would have switched sooner. Having to carry one device instead of a phone and PDA is just too convenient.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:33 PM   #22
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Steve you are missing my point. Wattpad is a Java executable. LG Dare does not support Java it supports BREW(a competing technology to Java).... You need to install a BREW app on your LG Dare, and there are BREW apps you can install see the links below:
I did know that, actually. I also know that the Wattpad site specifies that it works on the LG Dare. When I asked them about my problem, they reported to me that "their app does not work for the LG Dare on Verizon."

I'll check out the BREW download link, but I had also tried that from another source, and it hadn't worked out. I'm not expecting much, but if I try it and it works, I'll let you know.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:30 PM   #23
Jill74
Banned
Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader 505
this post is very informative. Im sure newbies in mobile read will find this very helpful

Jill74 is offline   Reply With Quote