Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-06-2018, 11:56 AM   #16
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I've never heard of it either. It sounds like some kind of corruption or bug in the update process. It might be worth getting in touch with Kindle support and letting them know it happened. They might have seen it before and your specific experience could help them to trace out the reason (or bug).

Are you able to successfully reload everything, including collections?
Apologies for the lack of updates, for some reason I wasn't getting email notifications of replies.

I tried restarting the device fully many times, the books didn't come back.

Anyway, my collections all resynced without problems and /most/ of the books redownloaded ok. All official Amazon purchased books have been fine but I've has an occasional personal document that just refuses to redownload. On those occasions I had to delete the document from the library and email it in once more.
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:57 AM   #17
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I am curious as I have a similar issues with my Oasis2. For me its when I try to open any doc, sideloaded book or file, my kindles goes haywire. It gets stuck for a bit and then I get that same popup. But its what happens after that that is weird. Once I try that with a doc, doesn't work so I go back to my home. When I then try to download anything from the cloud, kindle purchased books, samples it says downloading and complete, but they aren't actually there. They just will not download. The only thing that fixes it is a restart. I even did a complete factory reset on it and it didn't fix that issue. So for now I cannot open any docs on my Oasis. Thankfully I have other kindles that I can get my recipes on. The Voyage and basic with the same new update 5.10.1.1 does not have that issue.

I send feedback about this and also the issue with the books in the kindle store not showing any info other than the blurb on the Oasis. No reviews, no series info, no also boughts, etc. I send feedback from the device as they get a log that way. Settings, contact us, feedback.
Get straight on to tech support for that.
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:15 PM   #18
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmonster View Post
Get straight on to tech support for that.
Well I did mention it in the feedback straight from the Oasis and they get a log from that. I don't do well on the phone and I have never been able to get a tech support when I call or chat. I just get the usual CS folks and its really difficult for me to describe the issues. They don't listen well.

Most of my books are straight from amazon thankfully. So I have set my kindle to show only books for now. I am hoping a future update will fix this mess. Just not up for the stress of calling and getting the runaround as I usually get.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:47 AM   #19
tunnel bore
tunnel bore began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks for the advice. I had done a factory reset with no improvement.
I submitted an email to customer support and just spent 20 minutes on a call-back trying everything I was told (force fresh delivery of books etc.). The upshot? The call-handler was going to recommend they replace my Paperwhite.

That's a pretty awful firmware update that locks the hardware up so badly that the only option is to replace the hardware
tunnel bore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:57 PM   #20
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnel bore View Post
That's a pretty awful firmware update that locks the hardware up so badly that the only option is to replace the hardware
The 5.10.1.1 firmware has been pulled from Amazon's update page (see the main 5.10.1.1 firmware thread). Apparently you're not the only one who's had serious issues.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:16 PM   #21
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'd guess it's related to the text file viewer not working? But maybe the file nuking is happening more often than I think.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:00 PM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I'd guess it's related to the text file viewer not working? But maybe the file nuking is happening more often than I think.
No, you're probably right — I'm just now reading about the text file viewer. I must have missed it before. To be honest I didn't even know Kindles could read text files. I guess I should test it on my Kindle Basic (8th Gen) since it has 5.10.1.1 firmware. Actually I haven't had any trouble with 5.10.1.1, but I don't read text files on it.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:20 PM   #23
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
No, you're probably right — I'm just now reading about the text file viewer. I must have missed it before. To be honest I didn't even know Kindles could read text files. I guess I should test it on my Kindle Basic (8th Gen) since it has 5.10.1.1 firmware. Actually I haven't had any trouble with 5.10.1.1, but I don't read text files on it.
You are safe. The problem is when you update to 5.10.1.1 from an old FW below 5.9.7. I posted in the update thread. See here.

ETA: I am sorry to say that those that updated and have problems are not safe, unfortunately.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 11-09-2018 at 07:23 PM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:52 PM   #24
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
What exactly are the potential issues? I was on 5.9.4 on a freshly unboxed kindle manga when I updated and the only issue I see is related to reading .txt files downloaded from the cloud
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:17 PM   #25
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
I didnt see it mentioned here, but amazon has pulled the 5.10 series updates from thier update web site.

Edit: DuckieTigger has posted about this in the other thread.

Last edited by coplate; 11-12-2018 at 07:20 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:17 PM   #26
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I have some issues with this new update and I wasn't on any old update before. I was on whatever the one before the new one was. Issues are only on the Oasis2 for me from what I can tell. Hopefully they'll have a new one soon to fix it.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:52 PM   #27
rosemaryknits
rosemaryknits began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite
OH! I am having the same problems!

NOTHING that I sent to my kindle using "send to kindle" (which are on my amazon cloud) none of these will open.

My paperwhite isn't exactly bricked, but I do want to smash it with a brick right now. I am so so so disappointed in this update.

I poked around and I discovered this. Articles which I sent to my kindle and which I then downloaded from my cloud arrive onto my kindle as an azw3 file. If I connect to my computer, fetch the offending file using calibre, then send from Calibre, the same article now appears as an azw file and it opens perfectly.

so frustrating, but at least a work around.

I have not tested opening all file types.

Also, hooking it up to my computer causes the wifi to be knocked out. The only way I can hook up to wifi once again is to restart. So frustrating.

edited to add - Also this oddity - when opening a document, I can apply any of my custom pages with custom fonts, yet if I open "font and page settings" it tells me that custom fonts are not available. Weird.

Last edited by rosemaryknits; 11-14-2018 at 11:55 PM. Reason: added info
rosemaryknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 03:55 PM   #28
khron
khron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G/PW2/Voyage + Kobo Glo
the problem I have since 5.10.1.1 update is that sorting by book name no longer works, nothing shows up (empty list), but sorting by author or by recent works
khron is offline   Reply With Quote