Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-09-2021, 12:52 PM   #1
marp68
Addict
marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Converted epub pages to small

I succeded in converting an Amazon Kindle book to epub. But when I open it in my Kobo Clara reader the text is really small. But it looks like it's the actual page is small within the Kobo page. The text is aligned but placed more up in towards the left corner. And enlarging the letters didn't make them bigger. Only the page number went bigger.

Does anyone know what is wrong and how I can adapt the book's page to the Kobo's page size? So the text become placed on the whole epub page.
marp68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:05 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Without more evidence, it sounds like the source is a fixed layout eBook.

Can you at least post the CSS from the ePub so we can see what's there?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2021, 03:28 PM   #3
marp68
Addict
marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Thanks for the information.

I'm not that good at the internal things. How do you get the css data from the epub?

EDIT: okej, I did some exploring. If I unzip it I get two css files. Should I post them here?

Last edited by marp68; 05-09-2021 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-09-2021, 03:36 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marp68 View Post
Thanks for the information.

I'm not that good at the internal things. How do you get the css data from the epub?

EDIT: okej, I did some exploring. If I unzip it I get two css files. Should I post them here?
Yes. Put them in code blocks.

Old 05-09-2021, 04:47 PM   #5
marp68
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes. Put them in code blocks.
Don't know exactly how to do that. This is the text inside the files.

I opened them, but there were not much in them.

page_style.css

@page {
margin-bottom: 5pt;
margin-top: 5pt
}

stylesheet.css

.calibre {
display: block;
font-size: 1em;
padding-left: 0;
padding-right: 0;
margin: 0 5pt
}
.calibre1 {
display: block
}
.calibre2 {
height: auto;
width: auto
}

I could add the book as well, if it helps. Both the converted epub and the original azw3 file.
Advert
Old 05-09-2021, 05:37 PM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Don't do that if they are under copyright protection.

It appears that there is probably a lot of inline styling... *shudder*
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:40 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post

I would think Calibre would have converted all that inline styling to CSS.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:51 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Don't know exactly how to do that. This is the text inside the files.

I opened them, but there were not much in them.

page_style.css

@page {
margin-bottom: 5pt;
margin-top: 5pt
}

stylesheet.css

.calibre {
margin: 0 5pt
}
.calibre1 {
display: block
}
.calibre2 {
height: auto;
width: auto
}

I could add the book as well, if it helps. Both the converted epub and the original azw3 file.
If that is the full stylesheet, and with the description in the first post, it sounds like the pages are actually images. You would be able to see this in the editor. Do you see the actual text when you open one of the pages? Or is it a series of img tags?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:25 AM   #9
marp68
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post

It's a ebook free of charge until june. The author herself sent me the link.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:26 AM   #10
marp68
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If that is the full stylesheet, and with the description in the first post, it sounds like the pages are actually images. You would be able to see this in the editor. Do you see the actual text when you open one of the pages? Or is it a series of img tags?
Yes, there is both mostly text and a few images.

This is the book: https://www.amazon.com/Journey-Recov...0556491&sr=8-1
Old 05-10-2021, 03:33 AM   #11
marp68
Addict

And these are the files I have in Calibre. The imported azw3 file, the converted epub file, metadata and cover.

Last edited by issybird; 05-10-2021 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Copyrighted files uploaded.
Old 05-10-2021, 05:05 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
It's a ebook free of charge until june. The author herself sent me the link.
I downloaded this eBook and it's a low-res graphic image for each page. Since you are in touch with the author, you really should tell the author to redo it properly. This is not how you make an eBook.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:31 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Yes, there is both mostly text and a few images.

This is the book: https://www.amazon.com/Journey-Recov...0556491&sr=8-1
As it is just a series of images being displayed in separate files, and the images are all the same size, I would change to stylesheet to:

Code:
.calibre {
  margin: 0;
}
.calibre1 {
  text-align: center;
  text-indent: 0;
}
.calibre2 {
  width: 100%;
}
That will centre each page image on the screen and size them to use the full width of the screen. It might be better to use "width: 100%", but that will probably depend on the exact aspect ratio of the images and screen involved. And I would remove the page_styles.css file as that is just reducing the view port available for the images.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:45 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

After converting this with Calibre 5.17, I made some slight changes to the CSS and in ADE 2.0.1 and Calibre's viewer, it works.

Code:
body {
  widows: 1;
  orphans: 1;
  margin-top: 0;
  margin-right: 0;
  margin-bottom: 0;
  margin-left: 0;
  text-align: justify;
}
img {
  max-height: 100%;
  max-width: 100%;
}
.calibre {
  margin-bottom: 0;
  margin-top: 0;
}
.calibre1 {
}
.calibre2 {
  height: 100%;
  width: 100%;
}
Old 05-10-2021, 08:47 AM   #15
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Copyrighted files deleted. Do not upload copyrighted files again. This is your only warning.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote