Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-29-2020, 06:21 AM   #16
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Yeah, and stay off the computer. I tend to buy a lot less then. I don't buy from my phone unless it's cat food or grocery store pickup.
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:48 PM   #17
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
My goal is 120 books for 2021. And spend less time reading eBooks, more paper books.
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2020, 09:46 PM   #18
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post
My goal is 120 books for 2021. And spend less time reading eBooks, more paper books.
Why? What's the qualitative difference, content-wise?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 12:26 AM   #19
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Why? What's the qualitative difference, content-wise?
No difference at all. The problem is, I read entirely too many eBooks on my Kobo. I've resolved to read less on it, but not entirely switching to pBooks of course.
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 01:02 AM   #20
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No difference at all. The problem is, I read entirely too many eBooks on my Kobo. I've resolved to read less on it, but not entirely switching to pBooks of course.

I'm still curious about why you feel this is a problem, unless switching to paper books is designed to make sure you spend less time reading overall. That would certainly work for me, I' be lucky to read 2 books a year if I had to read words engraved on the carcasses of trees.
Advert
Old 12-31-2020, 01:45 PM   #21
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've finished my last book of the year. I start 2021 with 901 books on my TBR. My goal is to end 2021 with fewer books on my TBR.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 02:09 PM   #22
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Well, the New Year is still VERY new, and I'm underway on my goal of 130 - a good start!
Old 12-31-2020, 02:48 PM   #23
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I've finished my last book of the year. I start 2021 with 901 books on my TBR. My goal is to end 2021 with fewer books on my TBR.
I am starting the year with exactly:
  • 700 Ebooks unread
  • 90 Audiobooks (mostly free) unlistened to
  • 580 Pbooks unread (though many of those I would count as my wife's books. I keep it all in my total as it keeps me honest about the volume of material I have at my disposal)
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:27 AM   #24
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Ooo, sounds cool!
Myself, I already read more than I buy, as I never actually buy books. Overdrive is my best friend
I buy more than I read. it seems lot of books i want are not on overdrive or the wait is too long
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:31 PM   #25
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I finished my first book this year, a 2020 publication left over from last year, and am reading another 2020 book. The first was lousy, the second is mediocre (not bad enough to abandon, alas). I think, I hope, I’ve finally learned my lesson about new books. I noted last year how that year’s publications really dragged down my overall rating; there were a few gems, but a lot of stinkers. I own so many books that I truly want to read that it’s a shame to waste good reading time on dreck.

It’s a problem I’ve had all my life; I buy the books I want, but I also fall prey to the temptation of the library for new books and the problem is logistics. The library books expire, so they jump to the head of the queue. This year, I’d like to be judicious in my library reads and not be seduced by the allure of the shiny. Borrow only those books I’ve actively sought out and skip the rest, and, to be honest, mostly stay away from review pages. I got a lot of bum steers last year and from the quality press, too.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:38 PM   #26
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've never bothered with the library since I got into ebooks. Now that libraries do ebooks, perhaps I should. But I rather like being able to refer back to books I've read, and it's not an expensive hobby, really.
Old 01-03-2021, 01:32 PM   #27
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I don’t really like the library much either. I like having my own library! Then I can read whatever I want whenever I want!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:13 PM   #28
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I've never bothered with the library since I got into ebooks. Now that libraries do ebooks, perhaps I should. But I rather like being able to refer back to books I've read, and it's not an expensive hobby, really.
The snare for me with library books is that they’re books that are expensive. The bad mystery novel I just read, by John Banville, was published last October and costs $14.99! Older Banville novels can cost $11.99 to $12.99. I’d never spend that, not even on a good novel. I also like non-fiction, especially history, and that tends to be pricey. Occasionally one will go on special for a bit, but I’ve got books on my wishlist that have languished there for years, so OverDrive is an important part of my arsenal for books I want to read. What I need to resist are books that catch my eye mostly because they’re new, especially if there’s a lot of buzz.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:01 PM   #29
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
What I need to resist are books that catch my eye mostly because they’re new, especially if there’s a lot of buzz.
I think we all need to be more willing to abandon mediocre books.

It's something I struggle with. I only abandoned 6 books last year (less than 4%). I suspect I should abandon more.
Old 01-03-2021, 03:32 PM   #30
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I use Overdrive to try new authors. A way to test the waters without jumping in a lot of cash. Unfortunately, due to budget constraints few ebooks are added monthly by my local library.

Last year I abandoned 17% of started books.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote