Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 02-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony 650 and Cool-er
Why do emails disappear from the inbox

Each time my vox hibernates the already opened emails in my inbox disappear. When I touch ''load more messages'' they don't come back.
Orn8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
what type of email server, POP, IMAP or Exchange?

or who is the mail provider, Gmail, Hotmail etc
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=167380
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

I'm using pop3 and it is an email address from my own personal domain. The point is it downloads the email fine but if I go back to the inbox after the vox has hibernated the inbox is empty. On normal pop boxes, once the email is downloaded, it stays in the inbox until deleted but this isnt happening on the Vox.
Thank you.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
Orn8one
Groupie

Thanks for the link Mr Nobody. It doesn't solve my situation sadly. I had already done the search for similar questions to mine.

Last edited by Orn8one; 02-26-2012 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Typo
Advert
Old 02-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

I wasn't suggesting the link would solve your problem, I was suggesting that what you are experiencing just might be the "by design" behaviour of the app. *shrugs*
Old 02-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
Orn8one
Groupie

Sorry Mr Nobody, I didn't mean to offend you. I know a dim view is (understandably) had of people posting new threads without searching for the answer. I did appreciate you taking the time to answer me and didn't want you to think I hadn't bothered to try to help myself before posting a new topic. :-)
Old 02-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #8
mr_nobody
Evangelist

I'm rarely offended and I don't know for a fact your issue is not fixable. But the default email app does seem to behave not like a "real" email program. It's possible that installing a different email app will give you the behaviour you are looking for.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:52 AM   #9
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

dont use pop email anymore so unable to try this, but a thought/bug on why this is happening

the Vox refreshes the emails each time you open the app, so it reloads all from the server
pop is designed to be downloaded and not stored on server (even though mail apps sometimes give an option to keep mails on server)
so when you open your mails, it downloads them to the vox, removing them from the server
next time you open mail, it tries to download again, but since it has previously removed them there is nothing there

I use a personal domain for email, and didn't realise it did imap until recently, changing to this fixed all my issues of using mail on multiple devices

Anyone else using the Vox with a pop account and have it working ok?
Old 02-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #10
mr_nobody
Evangelist

I don't believe the default email app does delete the messages from the server (unless you hit the delete button). It just doesn't show them once they are no longer "new".
Old 02-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #11
paulsalter
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
I don't believe the default email app does delete the messages from the server (unless you hit the delete button). It just doesn't show them once they are no longer "new".
was only meaning pop accounts for my above, which are designed to be downloaded to your computer, removing them from the server at the same time

I use an Exchange account and an IMAP one, both these show all messages (read and unread) and they only get deleted when I delete them (from any of my devices/computers)

If I still had a pop account I would try it, see how the Vox handles it, but I know that it is not very good if using multiple devices, imap is much better

Last edited by paulsalter; 02-27-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #12
mr_nobody
Evangelist

Ah right, totally forgot I have mine set up as exchange (since it can also be accessed via pop).
Old 02-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #13
paulsalter
Fanatic

I find exchange to be the best on the Vox, gives the added benefit of calendar/contact sync and emails gets pushed immediately to the device (although it probably helps the battery run down quicker)