Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #16
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Okay, here's my experience: today I uploaded a Sigil epub to the Kindle platform. It had an included cover, followed by a title page labeled "text" by the Semantics tool, followed by the table of contents which by happenstance contained id="start" as a result of an earlier incarnation.

For the past couple of years, this book has always opened at the Prologue. One of my reasons for revising the book was to get rid of the Prologue; I moved a couple of paragraphs to Chapter One and the rest to Notes & Sources in the back.

The result: now the book opens at the cover on Amazon's Look Inside page. (It is Look Inside that decided me not to waste time on the Prologue; it is such a good sales tool.)

I will ask KDP Support to "push" the new version to my archives, so I can test the book on my K3 Keyboard, Fire HD, iPhone, and Kindle for PC. For the moment, I only know that the downloaded, converted *.mobi file opens as follows: at the cover in every emulation except the "Kindle" and the two Apple devices, which open at the title page. (Hitch seems to suggest that the converted book file is still subject to change, so this may not be true of the actual devices and apps.)

I could of course revise the book to follow more closely RbnJrg's prescription, but I am delighted that the Look Inside opens with the cover, so I will do my experimenting on a different book.

Again, thanks to all.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #17
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, the purchased book also opens at the cover in the Fire HD. Hallelujah!
Advert
Old 06-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #18
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Okay, the purchased book also opens at the cover in the Fire HD. Hallelujah!
I gotta admit, I don't understand why anyone wants the book to open at the cover, but, if you do, great.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:05 AM   #19
Notjohn
mostly an observer

Maybe KDP Guy decided that a book should start with its cover. It is after all what we judge the book by, tee hee!

The titanium knees aren't as good as the originals were when they went under the knife, but I am told that they will improve with time.