Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #1
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Agency Pricing: Reverse Paradigm

There are dozens of threads here on agency pricing and the evils/advantages thereof so this may be retread territory.

I was reading the DOJ lawsuit thread and was curious as to how the publishers coordinate their distribution, so I visited the Simon & Schuster site to see if they were selling the books for the same price they "set" at other sites.

I was astounded to find they do not!, at least for the one and only example I choose.

I checked other retailers and found that the Amazon price is, as expected, the B&N price, is the Sony price, etc. But I check iTunes and find:

Ya know, in the real world--the meat world--this is completely bass-ackward. Manufacturers kiss the butt of their largest retailers. They bow and scrape and lick the feet of the megastores, and that includes never undercutting them.

But what is your point, Rob Lister?

I'm not sure I have one other than to share that I suspect there is something more to this than my wee brain can comprehend. I get that they do not 'like' Amazon, but they're treating other retailers the same ... except Apple. What kickback are they getting from Apple?
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Thanks for bringing that to everybody's attention. I am sure tomorrow Amazon will have the same, lower price. The publishers obviously are trying to support "anyone but Amazon". However, this may just be a mistake. I am sure Amazon has a contract that they may not offer the book cheaper anywhere else, as I read Apple has.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Agency pricing does NOT mean the price has to be the same everywhere - just that the publisher gets to set the retail price (unlike with paper books where they sell to the book store at, supposedly, about half the MSRP and then the store is free to set whatever price they want), which can easily differ from store to store and region to region (even when the same currency is used).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Agency pricing does NOT mean the price has to be the same everywhere - just that the publisher gets to set the retail price (unlike with paper books where they sell to the book store at, supposedly, about half the MSRP and then the store is free to set whatever price they want), which can easily differ from store to store and region to region (even when the same currency is used).
Agency pricing in general, yes.

But back when they instituted agency pricing I remember that I read that both Amazon and Apple had contracts with the publishers that books could not be offered at lower prices anywhere else (at least for the US market). This would mean that the prices at both stores must be the same, of course. I may be mistaken.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
@Rob Lister
Where are you located?
The $2 surcharge could be for distribution otuside the US.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
@Rob Lister
Where are you located?
The $2 surcharge could be for distribution otuside the US.
Virgina.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lister View Post
Virgina.
Ahh, well then it isn't Whispersync. Local sales tax?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
Rob Lister
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Ahh, well then it isn't Whispersync. Local sales tax?
No. Sales tax, where applicable (and it is not), would not be shown in the list price.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lister View Post
No. Sales tax, where applicable (and it is not), would not be shown in the list price.
It's $14.99 at every US vendor except iTunes and S&S's own site. It's not the first time I've seen weird pricing at iTunes.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #10
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Report it to Amazon and they will drop the price to $12.99. It isn't "supposed" to happen, but sometimes it does.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #11
Rob Lister
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Report it to Amazon and they will drop the price to $12.99. It isn't "supposed" to happen, but sometimes it does.

eP

Why would I 'report it to amazon'? It isn't as if I care what they charge. I would no more buy the book at 14 or 12 than I would at $1.

I'm interested in the agency-pricing process; the inference here is that Apple has some sort of exemption. Also odd is S&S undercutting their retailers (assuming the word 'retailer' applies in an agency relationship).
Old 03-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #12
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
But what I'm saying is, I don't think Apple has any exemption. I think that was just a pricing mistake. Do you have any other examples?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #13
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
It is currently (3/11) $12.99 at amazon. Of course this doesn't answer the OP question and we don't know if this was a price match or just a slow database update on a price change.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote