Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 07-11-2008, 10:27 AM   #61
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
MR apéro : make event recursive ? Gaurnim says yes.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:51 AM   #62
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i just got a call from my new best friend in the world, Pauline from Bookeen. i'll meet her tonight to pick up my Cybook-for-one-week. i'm counting the minutes, y'all.
Advert
Old 07-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #63
zelda_pinwheel

first reactions to my Cybook-for-a-week over here. just in french for the moment (sorry !) but tomorrow i'll make an english version, and also add some photos to show the comparison with my eb1150.

also some details of my conversation with Pauline from Bookeen.

teaser : Pauline thinks apéros with Bookeen are a great idea, and we should do more. and, a new firmware is currently in developpment.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:50 AM   #64
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
and, a new firmware is currently in developpment.
Ha ha... At my office (we are a vertical/horizontal software vendor) we have a saying, "Shipping is a feature"... usually the most important one to the customer!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:22 AM   #65
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
we are a vertical/horizontal software vendor
what does that mean ?
Advert
Old 07-13-2008, 02:37 PM   #66
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
what does that mean ?
Vertical software is written for a specific industry. In my groups case we have two verticals... one is designed for Property management... you know, keeping track of leases, renters, etc. The second vertical is construction for companies that build houses and such.

Horizontal software is generic enough for all industries. In our case this would be our Payroll/HR software... to keep track of employees, cut pay checks, etc.

BOb
Old 07-13-2008, 03:00 PM   #67
zelda_pinwheel

ah, ok. thanks for the explanation.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:56 PM   #68
zelda_pinwheel

well, i hope Bookeen and Mobipocket will be patient with me. i have a list of questions which is now up to page 3. i might have to save some for next time. especially since otherwise, we might not have anything left to talk about, after friday night !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	questions.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	14344  
Old 07-14-2008, 01:03 PM   #69
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I see your plan; Keep them answering questions all night, in order to distract them, then walk out with your CyBook, having them think that it was yours and not a loaner. Clever!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:08 PM   #70
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
well, i hope Bookeen and Mobipocket will be patient with me. i have a list of questions which is now up to page 3. i might have to save some for next time. especially since otherwise, we might not have anything left to talk about, after friday night !
Mention the WorldCon 2009 Meetup.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:09 PM   #71
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
It simply isn't fair that this will be in Paris and I can't be there. The food, the museums, the jazz... sigh.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:14 PM   #72
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I see your plan; Keep them answering questions all night, in order to distract them, then walk out with your CyBook, having them think that it was yours and not a loaner. Clever!
yes, i thought it was a rather cunning plan myself. now keep those questions coming or we'll lose focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Mention the WorldCon 2009 Meetup.
added to the list !! i'll send them to the thread here for info though, since i don't really feel qualified to explain that. i can just say there will be an MR contingent there, and they can get details here, right ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageReader View Post
It simply isn't fair that this will be in Paris and I can't be there. The food, the museums, the jazz... sigh.
well, you have several choices to make you feel better :
1. come to the apéro.
2. come to the next apéro (there will be more, trust me)
3. organise your own apéro.
4. all of the above.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #73
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
yes, i thought it was a rather cunning plan myself. now keep those questions coming or we'll lose focus.
Don't be too concerned about getting all of your questions answered at the first one. This is supposed to be a friendly informal get together over drinks. (And besides, if you wait till folks are suitably lubricated, you may get more forthcoming answers )

As you mention, there will be more, and I believe Pauline from Bookeen thought more would be a good idea. Find out from the folks present how often they might be up for it, and plan future events accordingly.

Quote:
added to the list !! i'll send them to the thread here for info though, since i don't really feel qualified to explain that. i can just say there will be an MR contingent there, and they can get details here, right ?
Correct.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:21 PM   #74
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Don't be too concerned about getting all of your questions answered at the first one. This is supposed to be a friendly informal get together over drinks. (And besides, if you wait till folks are suitably lubricated, you may get more forthcoming answers )
thanks for saying that. i have been delegated on the french thread as the official question-asker for all the people who can't come, so you see they aren't *all* my questions (some are...), but i'm starting to get worried that it will turn into the spanish inquisition. and you know, nobody expects the spanish inquisition, at an apéro...

you're right, the best plan is to get them good and drunk, then they will agree to anything. "folders ? sure !"

Quote:
As you mention, there will be more, and I believe Pauline from Bookeen thought more would be a good idea. Find out from the folks present how often they might be up for it, and plan future events accordingly.
yes, pauline for one is very enthusiastic, which is great, and a lot of people are not available for this one and are disappointed to miss it. i will ask about the frequency. maybe we could plan the next one for october ; august is a slow month in paris, a lot of people are on holiday and a lot of places are closed, and then september is often quite hectic because it's back to work / school after the holidays. so october might be a good time. and, hopefully that leaves plenty of time for people to make plans. or maybe it should be later, so people have even more time to plan ?
Old 07-14-2008, 02:24 PM   #75
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
thanks for saying that. i have been delegated on the french thread as the official question-asker for all the people who can't come, so you see they aren't *all* my questions (some are...), but i'm starting to get worried that it will turn into the spanish inquisition. and you know, nobody expects the spanish inquisition, at an apéro...

Frankly, I agree. You don't want to scare them off. Although you could probably turn most of the specific questions into more general topics. instead of ten questions on navigation ask 1, Can you tell me anything about future plans for navigating the library? I'm sure additional questions will arise in the discussion naturally.

BOB

Tags
apéro, duck!, meetup, mobileread, paris