Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-14-2017, 11:01 AM   #1486
jeromuhi
jeromuhi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD/ ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I say leave the games and web browser. I extremely seldom use them, but I don't mind them being there.

Remove Comic/Manga support. I have not used them once.

I thought back on it and I can see the need for the browser, but the games are still something that seem trivial to me.

As for comic/manga support, still something I'd like to see better support for. It's a big market and I think if they tapped it and promoted the Aura One as the perfect Comic reading size, which numerous threads here have stated that 8" is ideal for the purposes of Manga. However looking at the real world measurements of a page for a manga volume, your looking at a 5.5" x 7.75" page, with an actual content area of 4.75" x 7", giving us a diagonal measurement of 8.3". The Aura One falls .5" short of this number, but closer than the average of most ereaders, which would be 6", which is short by 2.3". Couple that with the Aura One's 300 DPI and you have a pretty close substitute for tree pulp.
You could go larger, however the DPI on many of the larger ereaders like Onyx is a lower DPI, which for sharp lines with comics is not the greatest of reading experiences. It's a want, which last time I checked/lurked was what this thread was about. Would love to see Kobo embrace the geek side of literature and yes comics are literature. Don't believe me, read Watchmen.
jeromuhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:38 AM   #1487
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromuhi View Post
1) Remove the games and web browser, I have not once used them, other than the browser, which I used once and it's novelty quickly faded.
Well, I could argue something along this line:

Remove (imperative) all people I think they should be removed. I don't have any use for them.

Just wanted to point something here. If you don't have any use for something (flowers, animals, people, games, browser), it doesn't mean it should be removed just because you don't have any use for them.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2017, 12:00 PM   #1488
jeromuhi
jeromuhi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD/ ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_S View Post
Well, I could argue something along this line:

Remove (imperative) all people I think they should be removed. I don't have any use for them.

Just wanted to point something here. If you don't have any use for something (flowers, animals, people, games, browser), it doesn't mean it should be removed just because you don't have any use for them.
Point taken and acknowledged as a flaw in my thinking at the time of posting.
jeromuhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:12 PM   #1489
khl
khl began at the beginning.

Device: Aura One
Nickel shall improve the PDF viewer to allow
1. zoom/position according to Content's Width
2. keep the zoom size as well as position when moving from page to page. Something like moving lock or even always track and position to content width in new page (in case left/right page have different margin setting)

Currently, koreader out perform on the above. but switch forth and back is tedious these two reader.
khl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:24 AM   #1490
eric_d
eric_d began at the beginning.

Device: H2O
Finnish & Swedish dictionary support.
eric_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2017, 08:30 AM   #1491
Mr Meanor
He's a role-model.
Mr Meanor will become famous soon enoughMr Meanor will become famous soon enoughMr Meanor will become famous soon enoughMr Meanor will become famous soon enoughMr Meanor will become famous soon enoughMr Meanor will become famous soon enough

Device: PPC1, KA One, Cybook G3, Kindle PW, PRS-950, PRS-505, Tab 2, Mac5K
I would like the Kobo to remember my last book and library selection from the list instead of having to swipe through them all again when I have finished with my current book.
My Sony readers had that facility, I miss it.
Mr Meanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:01 AM   #1492
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Meanor View Post
I would like the Kobo to remember my last book and library selection from the list instead of having to swipe through them all again when I have finished with my current book.
In the Library/Books, does sorting by Recent help?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:29 PM   #1493
CmplxAdSys
Enthusiast
CmplxAdSys began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Meanor View Post
I'd also like a somewhat similar feature of it remembering the page I was on when I open annotations. I use my kobo for book club-type things and take notes in annotations about points to bring up for discussion. When I open say, page 7 of my annotations, then close it and go to the book's text, it would be super-useful if, when I re-open annotations, it's still on p. 7. Instead, it starts from the very beginning.
CmplxAdSys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:17 PM   #1494
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmplxAdSys View Post
I'd also like a somewhat similar feature of it remembering the page I was on when I open annotations.
This reminds me of a feature I relied on that was removed in the new interface: an indication on the home page that a given book has annotations, and how many of which type. I've hacked around that by creating a new "annotated" collection where I can add a book after making notes in it.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:43 PM   #1495
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
This reminds me of a feature I relied on that was removed in the new interface: an indication on the home page that a given book has annotations, and how many of which type. I've hacked around that by creating a new "annotated" collection where I can add a book after making notes in it.
I miss that to. You can see if a book on the home page has annotations by long pressing on the book and showing the menu. If it has annotations, the menu will have the option to open them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:10 PM   #1496
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I miss that to. You can see if a book on the home page has annotations by long pressing on the book and showing the menu. If it has annotations, the menu will have the option to open them.
But if you forget which books have annotations and which don't, then you'll have to check each book you've read or ar reading. That's just annoying.

What benefit does the new home screen give us vs the old home screen? IMHO, nothing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:47 PM   #1497
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But if you forget which books have annotations and which don't, then you'll have to check each book you've read or ar reading. That's just annoying.
And if you read my posts you will know I understand that. What I described was the quickest way to find if the book has annotations for the new home screen.
Quote:
What benefit does the new home screen give us vs the old home screen? IMHO, nothing.
Not for you, and not really for me. But, there are plenty of people here who say they like it. There were plenty of people who found the tiled home screen complicated and messy.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:39 PM   #1498
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Multilanguage keyboard support. Like you have on smartphones or the Kindle. It's annoying to have to change the entire device's language just to be able to look something up or search an author's name.

Not sure if this is a firmware thing or not but a Japanese to English dictionary. I find it kinda funny they added a second English to Japanese dictionary before one going the other way.

If possible, support for DRM-free AZW3 would be amazing. Converting is still too flakey for my liking.

Also second the manga/comic book support thing. You could even throw up a store page to the next one in the series if I don't own it and I wouldn't be mad.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:49 AM   #1499
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Here are a couple of features I'd like to see, mainly related to the Books listing:

1a. "I didn't want to open that!" This gets me all the time. I'll be paging through the book list, the device interprets a drag as a long-press, and I've opened a book I didn't mean to open. Sure, closing it and marking it unread is easy enough - except that now it's at the top of the Recent sort and there's no way to put it back where it was.

1b. For that matter, changing a book's "read/unread" status without opening it shouldn't affect its place in the Recent sort, regardless of how it happens.

2. Multiple filters in the book list. If I only want to see downloaded books, I can't also select unread books. For that matter, I can't select "not finished" (unread plus reading). Unrelated flags shouldn't be mashed together like that.

3. Wi-fi does not equal internet. There are valid reasons for wanting to connect to a wireless LAN - for example, if your internet service is out but you want to use the browser to connect to a server on your home network to download a book stored there. The reader shouldn't require internet connectivity before allowing you to connect to a network. (Check for it, sure - go right ahead and tell me you can't see the outside world on this network. But don't block me from connecting as if there's something wrong with my password.)
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:37 AM   #1500
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
1b. For that matter, changing a book's "read/unread" status without opening it shouldn't affect its place in the Recent sort, regardless of how it happens.
I agree with this (and the previous, and all your points for that matter), but if you change this functionality to not change the sort position, I also want a way to "touch" a book to force it to the top (or bottom for that matter).

I guess in addition to finish / mark unread, I want a read next, read last.
Right now, open, finish, mark unread all are equivalent to read next.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo