Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-05-2018, 07:20 PM   #721
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
OMEGAMAN (TM) Magazine Issue 6 has been released.

Download your free copy by clicking on the link below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wP3...SQjuf__ic/view
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:38 PM   #722
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
The Athlete's Bible: Strong Edition from the Fellowship of Christian Athletes is free at Christianbook and Barnes & Noble. It's currently not free anywhere else, but here are links to see if the price drops or someone wants to pester Amazon to do a price match.

Kobo ($19.99)
eBooks.com ($24.99)
Google Play ($7.99)
Amazon ($9.99)

FCA Bibles are study Bibles with pretty standard study notes and sports-related devotional material. In the past, they've always been the HCSB, but they're now the NLT. Incidentally, the last time I saw a free ebook version of the NLT was six years ago.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:50 PM   #723
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
The Athlete's Bible: Strong Edition from the Fellowship of Christian Athletes is free at Christianbook and Barnes & Noble. It's currently not free anywhere else, but here are links to see if the price drops or someone wants to pester Amazon to do a price match.

Kobo ($19.99)
eBooks.com ($24.99)
Google Play ($7.99)
Amazon ($9.99)

FCA Bibles are study Bibles with pretty standard study notes and sports-related devotional material. In the past, they've always been the HCSB, but they're now the NLT. Incidentally, the last time I saw a free ebook version of the NLT was six years ago.
Am always glad when I see a new post of yours--I.know that that I'm in for a treat. Your present post is no exception.

I hope that I don't offend, but i'm almost certain that I bought an FCA Bible quite a bit cheaper, maybe 3 months ago or so. When I get an opportunity, I'll try to check my orders at Amazon and see what I paid. Alternatively, I may check ereaderiq.com to see what the historic high and low prices have been. It may be a flawed theory, but it seems to me that that can give a person a rough idea of what those prices might be in the future.

The NLT . . . . I know practically nothing about it. However, I saw it prominenty mentioned on a website, a few nights ago. I could not remember for sure if the site was offering it as a download or as an online resource. I was pretty sure the latter was correct. I found the website, and the book was, indeed, an online one (https://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-versions/). It's available that way at Bible Gateway, and probably at a lot of another websites, too.

A person _might_ be able to find a downloadable, but pirated one, _somewhere_ on the Internet. Ironically, some people who identify themselves as Christians no doubt have have been guilty of downloading translations of the Bible, translations that are still in copyright--the NLT, for example, was published in the 1990's. I say "ironically" because, jusf considering the New Testament alone, there is much that that Book says against that _kind_ of practice--e.g., not stealing, obeying the people in civil government, treating others as you would want to be treated, etc.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:54 AM   #724
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
I hope that I don't offend, but i'm almost certain that I bought an FCA Bible quite a bit cheaper, maybe 3 months ago or so.
It's not free anymore (it was apparently just free yesterday), but a slightly different edition is $1.99 today. Again, apparently only at Christianbook and B&N.

Quote:
The NLT . . . . I know practically nothing about it. However, I saw it prominenty mentioned on a website, a few nights ago.
It's a popular paraphrase. I find it to be less heavy-handed than The Living Bible and not as theologically narrow as The Message. I personally don't use it much, but a church I attend occasionally has the NLT as its pew Bible.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:56 PM   #725
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
It's not free anymore (it was apparently just free yesterday), but a slightly different edition is $1.99 today. Again, apparently only at Christianbook and B&N.
<snip>
The tracking information, for the NLT, that I mentioned, is at https://www.ereaderiq.com/dp/B001AS6...g-translation/. Scroll down until you see the graph. The $4.00 or so price point looks like it has been pretty common the last couple of years.

Speaking of B&N, there's a thread, "B & N selling itself to stay afloat," at General News > E-book News. That's a pretty ominous development, it sounds like (however, I don't quite understand the title of the thread--if it sells itself, what will be left to stay afloat?). Personally, I quit buying from them about 3 years ago, when they suddenly and without warning wouldn't let us download and save our own books from our libraries there.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 10-10-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:51 AM   #726
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Logos 7 Basic FREE Today, along with a Plethora of FREE and Very Inexpensive Books!

I stumbled upon the following webpage yesterday. Then, I checked it, for only the second time, just now. So, please be understanding if I get some minor things wrong.

This is a webpage of deals from Logos Bible Software. The deals change each day.

There are a huge number of books and other resources there today, starting at $0.00. They appeared first when I requested a sort by price, low to high. Note: some of these may be books that Logos throws in with its Basic 7 package, which is also free today (at least). More about that later.

Ah, you may say, the prices then jump up to several dollars from there. No. The next price point is 25 cents, and there are maybe 2 dozen of them. Then there are maybe 4 dozen at the 50-cent price point, then some at 52 cents. Then, 59 cents. Well, you get the idea. Oddly, there are quite a few scattered along the way that are several dollars; you'll recognize them by the lack of a price on the far right. However, Logos may have that corrected later in the day.

Ah, you may say next, the books must not be very worthwhile. Wrong again. I've seen some free and ultra-cheap books and other resources that I consider very worthwhile. I'm springing for a lot of them.

Now, the "engine." You've got to have an engine in order to use any of Logos' books; these are not standalone books. One is in any level of Logos that you buy, along with a set of books; what books are in the set depends upon what level that you buy. The higher the level, the greater the functionality, also." If you're not familiar with Logos, the Logos 7 "Basic" level has a smaller number of included books and less functionality than the higher-numbered ones, but is still powerful. It is free today, also! [/I]. Follow this link for more information, and to "purchase" that.

Start your bargain-hunting odyssey from here.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 10-13-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:06 PM   #727
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Logos books are geared toward use with the Logos Bible software, and the Logos Bible Software is intended for Bible study. With so many "features" available to the user, you really need to run the program on a desktop, or at least a laptop, so that you have more room on the screen to spread things out.

I suppose that you could run the software on a smartphone--I think that there is even an app for that. But I certainly wouldn't recommend it. A tablet? Well, maybe, if it is a _large_ tablet.

What you certainly can do, on a desktop all of the way down to a smartphone, and do well, to one extent or another, is to read a Logos book. Thus my reason for posting the Logos book deals on a website (Mobileread) intended for the discussion, and passing along of information, related to mobile electronics.

Another thing that I should mention is that Logos is a Faithlife company. Verbum, Vryso, Biblia (or it may be Biblica--I get them confused), and maybe another company or two are under the same Faithlife umbrella. The company has designed things so that any (as far as I know) book of one subsidiary will run on the same platform as another one of their subsidiaries. Each subsidiary is intended for a different kind of user (it's called "market segmentation," and lots of companies do it). For example, Logos and Verbum appeal to the more academically, studious type of reader, while Vryso appeals to a more casual reader.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 10-13-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:26 PM   #728
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Endeavour, Free

The English Bible and the Seventeenth Century Revolution
by Christopher Hill

The Bible may be the most important book ever written.

But in 17th-century England it was also a radical document.

In this brilliant history Christopher Hill analyses the importance of the Bible to the life of England in the period after it became widely printed and read.

Christopher Hill (1912-2003) was a university lecturer in sixteenth- and seventeenth-century history, and from 1965 to 1978 he was Master of Balliol College. His many books and textbooks include ‘Milton and the English Revolution’ and ‘Liberty Against the Law’.

First published 1993 by Penguin Books

https://www.amazon.com/English-Bible...dp/B00PUVC94O/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/English-Bib...dp/B00PUVC94O/

https://www.amazon.ca/English-Bible-...dp/B00PUVC94O/
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:34 PM   #729
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Logos books are geared toward use with the Logos Bible software, and the Logos Bible Software is intended for Bible study. With so many "features" available to the user, you really need to run the program on a desktop, or at least a laptop, so that you have more room on the screen to spread things out.

I suppose that you could run the software on a smartphone--I think that there is even an app for that. But I certainly wouldn't recommend it. A tablet? Well, maybe, if it is a _large_ tablet.

What you certainly can do, on a desktop all of the way down to a smartphone, and do well, to one extent or another, is to read a Logos book. Thus my reason for posting the Logos book deals on a website (Mobileread) intended for the discussion, and passing along of information, related to mobile electronics.

Another thing that I should mention is that Logos is a Faithlife company. Verbum, Vryso, Biblia (or it may be Biblica--I get them confused), and maybe another company or two are under the same Faithlife umbrella. The company has designed things so that any (as far as I know) book of one subsidiary will run on the same platform as another one of their subsidiaries. Each subsidiary is intended for a different kind of user (it's called "market segmentation," and lots of companies do it). For example, Logos and Verbum appeal to the more academically, studious type of reader, while Vryso appeals to a more casual reader.
Verbum also caters to the Catholic market. Vryso seems to have become Faithlife Ebooks which has the virtue of being straightforward.

As someone who's acquired books from a number of the Faithlife subsidiaries, through the same Faithlife Account, all can indeed be read on any Faithlife platform.

I agree that many of the features are better used on a large screen although I personally find using the passage guide as well as the split screen option on my small tablet to be quite acceptable.

My main reason for buying Faithlife books for study despite the closed garden software is the cross-linkage made possible by that fact. Being able to follow references to their source as long as the source book is available on Faithlife and I've bought it has been very, very useful even with a relatively small number of books. I've not bought a full library just my favorite Bible translation(s), a handful of reference books and commentaries plus any interesting books offered for free or deeply discounted.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:59 PM   #730
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
Verbum also caters to the Catholic market. Vryso seems to have become Faithlife Ebooks which has the virtue of being straightforward.

As someone who's acquired books from a number of the Faithlife subsidiaries, through the same Faithlife Account, all can indeed be read on any Faithlife platform.

I agree that many of the features are better used on a large screen although I personally find using the passage guide as well as the split screen option on my small tablet to be quite acceptable.

My main reason for buying Faithlife books for study despite the closed garden software is the cross-linkage made possible by that fact. Being able to follow references to their source as long as the source book is available on Faithlife and I've bought it has been very, very useful even with a relatively small number of books. I've not bought a full library just my favorite Bible translation(s), a handful of reference books and commentaries plus any interesting books offered for free or deeply discounted.
Thanks for sharing a lot of great ideas.

I meant to mention that Verbum is to Roman Catholics what Logos is to Protestants. The functionality may be very similar, but the books are very different, in most cases.

I downloaded the Logos app to my smartphone, but was very disappointed with it. Not that it is bad product; it's just that there is just not enough real estate on the screen to do the Logos software justice the way that I use the software. I might find (even) a smartphone tolerable if I used it solely or almost solely for reading books, in the way that you do, though. I have no experience with a tablet at all, except for about half of an hour of frustration with some kind of Apple tablet.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 10-14-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:22 AM   #731
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

FREE from Google Play--Understanding and Loving a Person with Narcissistic P.D.

It's a $9.99 Kindle, but free at Google Play: Understanding and Loving a Person with Narcissistic Personality Disorder: Biblical and Practical Wisdom to Build Empathy, Preserve Boundaries, and Show Compassion.

This is a volume of an apparently new series. Therefore, ratings for this book are practically non-existent. However, co-author Stephen Arterburn has written several bestsellers; Every Man's Struggle and Every Woman's Struggle are two that quickly come to mind.

All of the other books in this new series, at Google Play, are apparently 99 cents each. Oddly, while Amazon has the above book for $9.99, each of the rest of the books in the series appear to be 99 cents there (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...oving+a+person).

Follow this link if you wish to pick up the freebie from Google Play. Follow this link if you wish to see all of the 99 cent volumes from Google Play.

Any advantages to purchasing from Google Play? I'm probably the only one who didn't know it, but I found out recently that if you buy an ebook from Google Play you can obtain it in either ePub or PDF formats (maybe both). I don't know offhand if they are DRM-Free or DRM-Protected.

Ordinarily, I'd buy a book largely based upon ratings. With the dearth of ratings for all of the volumes, I think that my stratagem will be to get the freebie, check it over, and them buy the 99 cent ones based upon my impression of the free one.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:06 AM   #732
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

An Idea for Spending Your $3 Credit from Google Play.

Alister E. McGrath's Intellectuals Don't Need God and Other Modern Myths: Building Bridges to Faith Through Apologetics is currently on sale at Amazon for $3.99. Not to be outdone, Google Play is offering it for $3.49. Those are both really good deals.

However, if you received the $3 credit on an ebook from Google Play, details of which are in the thread in this subforum about it, the net cost to you for this ebook would be 49 cents. I jumped on that one.

Which brings me to sharing a good strategy for using the $3 credit and the $5 credit. Find an ebook, that you would like to have, on sale at Amazon or one of the other vendors who usually have the same, or about the same, sale price on an ebook. Aim for one that is slightly above $3 and/or $5, as the case may be; Google Play may have the same price or one close to it. If so, you can grab the book very, very cheaply.

The fly in the ointment is that Google Play is notorious, in my mind, for not having a lot of popular ebooks. They may not have one, or two, or three, or more that you're interested in. Keep looking and eventually you'll hit pay dirt.

For at least one of the credits--I've forgotten which one (if not both)--you don't have to be in any special rush to make a purchase--the credit doesn't expire for nearly 30 days from now.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 10-20-2018 at 03:30 AM.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:24 AM   #733
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It's a $9.99 Kindle, but free at Google Play: Understanding and Loving a Person with Narcissistic Personality Disorder: Biblical and Practical Wisdom to Build Empathy, Preserve Boundaries, and Show Compassion.

This is a volume of an apparently new series. Therefore, ratings for this book are practically non-existent. However, co-author Stephen Arterburn has written several bestsellers; Every Man's Struggle and Every Woman's Struggle are two that quickly come to mind.

All of the other books in this new series, at Google Play, are apparently 99 cents each. Oddly, while Amazon has the above book for $9.99, each of the rest of the books in the series appear to be 99 cents there (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...oving+a+person).

Follow this link if you wish to pick up the freebie from Google Play. Follow this link if you wish to see all of the 99 cent volumes from Google Play.

Any advantages to purchasing from Google Play? I'm probably the only one who didn't know it, but I found out recently that if you buy an ebook from Google Play you can obtain it in either ePub or PDF formats (maybe both). I don't know offhand if they are DRM-Free or DRM-Protected.

Ordinarily, I'd buy a book largely based upon ratings. With the dearth of ratings for all of the volumes, I think that my stratagem will be to get the freebie, check it over, and them buy the 99 cent ones based upon my impression of the free one.
I happened to see two of the above series at Christianbook. Both of them are 79 cents each. Even if you buy the whole set of maybe 6 or 7 volumes in this series, that's doesn't amount to much savings over what you would pay at Amazon or Google Play. But it is something. And I'm such a tightwad . . . er, uh . . . so frugal that personally I would spring for the Christianbook series just to save that little bit of pocket change.

Of perhaps even more value to some of you is this--apparently the entire series, at Christianbook at least, is DRM-Free (the reason that I say "apparently" is that that was true of the two books that I checked).

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 10-20-2018 at 02:32 AM.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:19 AM   #734
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Rice Broocks' [sic] very highly rated (at both Amazon and GoodReads) tome, Man, Myth, Messiah: Answering History's Greatest Question is only $1.99 at Christianbook, Google Play, and probably other of the usual suspects (I can't readily check at Amazon, because I've purchased the ebook in the past, and "read now" appears where the price usually appears).

The book is on the subject of the "historical Jesus."

It shows as a "daily special" at Christianbook. However, given the fact that it is that price at at least one other store, I wonder if the price will not still be good beyond today.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 10-20-2018 at 03:24 AM.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:36 PM   #735
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Rice Broocks' [sic] very highly rated (at both Amazon and GoodReads) tome, Man, Myth, Messiah: Answering History's Greatest Question is only $1.99 at Christianbook, Google Play, and probably other of the usual suspects (I can't readily check at Amazon, because I've purchased the ebook in the past, and "read now" appears where the price usually appears).

The book is on the subject of the "historical Jesus."

It shows as a "daily special" at Christianbook. However, given the fact that it is that price at at least one other store, I wonder if the price will not still be good beyond today.
Readeriq says it's $1.99 at Amazon US.

For your problem, the price can also be found under Kindle Edition near the center of the page.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote