Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-16-2017, 11:33 PM   #31
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
It doesn't really matter how/why someone becomes a pulp writer (and it's possible we may have different ideas of exactly what constitutes pulp, it's quite a loose term), what matters is that some people are very good/successful at it.
True. I was just pointing out that some of those David mentioned wrote so much so quickly for a definite economic reason. There is nothing wrong with Pulp I think. Some of the best of what we call classics of science fiction for example were written during the pulp era.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:37 PM   #32
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigilBear View Post
I think it kinds of depends on the project. I'm working on a series of books about state symbols and came up with a scheme that works (for me, at least).

I wouldn't call the first book in the series low quality; it's actually far better than the competition. However, I'm not going to go into great details in describing individual symbols, offering more of an overview instead. I'm also not going to put much work into footnotes, endnotes, references, etc.

After that book's published, I'm going to work on books focusing on particular categories of symbols, such as state flags or birds. Each of those books will have a greater emphasis on quality (or thoroughness), including more detail, endnotes and references, etc.
Symbols/references can date a piece of writing too. I'm reading "the black lizard big book of pulp" at present and some things that would be everyday references to a person reading in the 1920's are not as clear to me.

Last edited by crich70; 06-16-2017 at 11:40 PM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:48 PM   #33
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Symbols/references can date a piece of writing too. I'm reading "the black lizard big book of pulp" at present and some things that would be everyday references to a person reading in the 1920's are not as clear to me.
I have had to google stuff too from older books because the reference or word made no sense.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:41 PM   #34
toddhicks209
Enthusiast
toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by misshannuh View Post
Hey guys, I recently created a blog article talking about quality vs quantity of books published. If you’ve been in the publishing or self-publishing business for any amount of time you will have eventually come across the extremely important question of quality vs quantity. Is it more important to publish fewer books that are of a higher quality? Or is it better to publish more books but sacrifice some quality in the mean time? In this blog, I’ll discuss the full impact of having a quality book and what things can be improved that make the most difference. Click the link below to view it:

https://pinn.cl/qualityvsquantity

I hope that you enjoy and learn from this article. If you have more ideas and questions, let's discuss!
Although it helps to write a high quantity of books, you're not doing yourself or readers a service if your work lacks quality.
toddhicks209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:12 PM   #35
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The OP is what I call a "promotional spammer," in my opinion.

He's not here to discuss a da** thing. He made one post - and with a link to his business - and has not returned since.

And (again, in my opinion), has no intention of ever returning.

Very rarely, a promotional spammer actually brings up an interesting topic, which is the reason that this thread hasn't been axed.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-25-2017 at 08:15 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author, publisher, publishing, selfpublishing, writer