Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-07-2014, 04:43 AM   #1
Riverdance
Riverdance began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Kobo Glo Freezes after firmware update

I'm new to the group and hope someone can kindly assist.
My Kobo Glo was my pride and joy for the last 13 months, using it exclusively to sideload public library books without any problems. A little over a month ago doing a routine sideload I was advised that a firmware update was required and without hitch v3.3.0 was installed. That was the start of the problems of multi freezes without any pattern, they seemed random. Every tip and suggestion (battery level, date and time, refresh rates etc. etc.) that I could find on this forum and others were tried with no success. My warranty was 1 month over! I have tried the factory reset now twice and it still freezes, the only observation I can make is that over this last several weeks the weather has been significantly warmer, but prior to the firmware update, no problem using the Glo in warm/hot/sunshine conditions. I am despairing and may be forced to bin the Glo - does anyone have anything to help? As a footnote I would add that with these problems it really does highlight how badly designed the on/off sliding control is - ending up with broken nails and a sore finger - but I can live with that! But not the continual freezing - no!
Riverdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:58 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
It sounds to me like the hardware is marginal, possibly being pushed from marginal to unstable by the hot weather.

Depending on where you are and where you bought it, you might be able to return it even though it is out of waranty. Consumer laws in many countries give you rights that are not limited to the manufacturer's waranty period.

Which firmware version was the Glo on before the upgrade to 3.3.0? The code in the 3.x.x firmware versions is more highly optimised than in the 2.x.x versions. That is generally a good thing, everything runs faster. But it can also make the CPU work harder, which like the hot weather can push marginal hardware beyond its limits.

If you can't return it, you could try manually downgrading to firmware version 2.8.1, it is slower but might be more stable on marginal hardware.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:01 PM   #3
Riverdance

Thank you GeoffR for your comprehensive response - it is much appreciated. The previous version of firmware isn't known, when everything is working OK there was little reason to note it. The problem occurred after the Glo has not been used for 3 months and the update I think was mandatory(?). I live in Ireland and it was bought from an Argos outlet, they have a generous approach to returns and it might be worth a try. I will attempt to download v2.8.1 could you kindly provide a link and direct me to some instructions on how to do it. The other alternative I might have to consider if the above doesn't work is to buy another reader and have looked at the Kobo Aura which doesn't seem to have had too many instability comments. Thank you again.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:28 PM   #4
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The links to download older firmware are here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...72&postcount=2

(The link to 2.8.1 for the Glo is http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...date-2.8.1.zip)

Instructions for downgrading to older firmware: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...59&postcount=5

Once you have downgraded you need to avoid syncing, either via wifi or Kobo desktop, otherwise it will just upgrade again. It is not ideal, but If you are only sideloading books via Calibre or ADE then it shouldn't be too much of a restriction. (There is a patch for newer firmware versions which prevents them upgrading during a wifi sync, but I don't know if there is one for 2.8.1).

I don't really know how much harder the newer firmware makes the CPU work, so the older firmware might not help much, or if it does help it might only be temporary.

When you said the freezes were random, did any occur when there was no book open? If they only occur when reading a book then it could be an idea to try some other books, just in case the problem is a corrupt book.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:48 AM   #5
chromedome
Enthusiast
chromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Voyage, PW2, Kobo Glo (KK, Sony PRS600)
I've suffered exactly the same issue back in May. My Kobo Glo is about eighteen months old and was used daily. After the update, everything seemed okay and then suddenly I couldn't page forward - "yikes it's frozen" - out with the paperclip. I did all the resets - re-download books, start again - roll back firmware - leave wireless on - etc. All to no avail. it randomly freezes, sometimes after a couple of pages, sometimes I can read for an hour.

It's a real pity, I cannot sell it or give it to anyone in this state. I'm just waiting for a new firmware release, to see if it kicks back into life, but I'm only alive once so.......

.................... I gave up and bought a Kindle PWII. :-)
chromedome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:54 AM   #6
GeoffR
Wizard

Hardware wears out. You can often get a bit more life out of it by running less demanding software, using it in a less demanding (cooler) environment, or by reducing the CPU frequency (underclocking), but these are not permanent fixes.

My Glo is 20 months old and works perfectly, I hope it lasts for a few more years yet, but if I get 2-3 years out of it then I'd be happy. The money I have saved on paper books has more than paid for the ereader already.

If it only lasted 13 months then I'd be trying to return it for a replacement though, or at least trying to negotiate for a big discount of a new one.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:04 PM   #7
Riverdance

Thank you GeoffR and Chromedome, I was able to download 2.8.1 and install it - sadly it too froze after 10 minutes or so. So I did a factory reset (back to 3.5.x) and then tried an earlier version nearer the timeline of the version that worked fine, 2.4.1 was also installed but this time it froze and remained frozen at the Restarting splash and nothing will budge it. As I don't fancy trying to go through the pain of opening up and removing sd cards and the agony of having to use linux I have ordered a new Aura and will box the Glo up and throw myself onto the mercy of the retails store. Thanks again for your assistance - I've learned a lot! Best wishes from Ireland.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:15 AM   #8
mkeles84
Enthusiast
mkeles84 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura/Glo/Kindle PW2
May be use Koreader prevent freezing.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=2458

Last edited by mkeles84; 10-27-2015 at 03:43 AM.
mkeles84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezing, glo