Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-06-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
bruck
bruck began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Is it possible to get .prc files into the iPad Kindle App?

I'm loving the ability to upload .prc files to my new Kindle 3. Its very nice that my father's iPad can read my books too (the ones that I buy from amazon). Is there away he can read my .prc files as well?

Would it be better to keep them as .pdf's and just read them in iBooks?

Thx
bruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:16 PM   #2
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Assuming your .prc books are DRM-free (I don't remember the DRM situation with .prc). You have a couple of choices:
1) Use calibre and convert them to a format that Stanza can read then load the Stanza app.
2) What you want to do is called sideloading. Do a search on that and you will find lots of info. One post is here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89040 it talks about a technique that works only if your computer is a Mac. I have tried it with a PC, and it didn't work.
3) You will also find another sideloading discussion that seems to involve jailbreaking your Ipad.
4) I haven't tried this, but I wonder about emailing the file to your Kindle? What would happen if you used that and tried then to open it in iPad for the Kindle. I've never used this so I have no idea if it would really work, and don't know about trying it for kindle on iPad. Even if it does work, it seems a pain if your have a lot of files.

p.s. I should note that most of these ideas are not mine. I've just listed some of the things others have noticed about sideloading.

Last edited by emellaich; 09-06-2010 at 11:19 PM.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
You can put them into iBooks, however, if they are available in epub (most non-drm are).
That is a simple as dragging them in iTunes. I do it with BAEN books all the time.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
As referenced above, you can sideload with a free app called 'iPhone Explorer' if you have a Mac.

I tried the email attachment thing, but it didn't work (file type is not associated with any application). ePub and PDF attachments can be directed to one of several ePub/PDF reading apps I have on my iPod (ironically, not iBooks). I think the filetype needs to be registered by the app somehow to allow that, and K4iPhone apparently does not do this. In the past I've suggested that Amazon provide a '@kindle.com' email address for Kindle apps so that attachments could be put into their delivery queues (just like you can with a Kindle device), but it would probably be much easier for them to just register the filetype with iOS so that Kindle format email attachments could be delivered via a regular mail address and put into the appropriate K4iOS documents folder just as other email file attachments can be directed at one or another viewing app. I'll send this suggestion to kindle-feedback@amazon.com. They always do everything I ask them to. Well, not really...

Actually the @kindle.com idea would still be useful, since that would be able to covert to Kindle format. As would support for iTunes side-loading via its File Sharing feature (without need for iPhone Explorer)

Note that calibre can send things to iBooks via iTunes, but not yet to other reading apps that you might have installed on there. Most likely the ability to side-load via iTunes to other apps that support this is on the calibre feature wish list somewhere....

Last edited by tomsem; 11-05-2010 at 05:30 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
As referenced above, you can sideload with a free app called 'iPhone Explorer' if you have a Mac.
There is also a version for Windows.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert