Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-19-2010, 04:39 AM   #1
bob1xxx
Zealot
bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle k3 and k2 and White Aluratek Libre Pro
Unhappy got a book from b&n wrong format?

Hmmm maybe Im out the 4.70 but I though you could buy drm ebooks from B&N and they would work on my Libre. So far it a No go any I cant seem to convert it? Is there any away to get b&n ebooks to work? Or is 4.70 bad lesson or did I download the wrong format? Any constructive posts welcomed
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
petechan
Connoisseur
petechan doesn't litterpetechan doesn't litter

Device: Aluratek libre
I may be mistaken, since I haven't actually bought an ebook yet, but am planning to, but I think to get DRM epub books your best bet is to go to ebookstores which carry them like fictionwise, kobobooks, lulu books or booksonboard. I usually use inkmesh to find the best price, and yes sometimes the prices are not as low as amazon or barnes and noble, but I guess that's the price of being limited to a certain DRM format. On balance though I also count the free library books I can get on my Libre
petechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2010, 12:03 PM   #3
bob1xxx
Zealot
bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by petechan View Post
I may be mistaken, since I haven't actually bought an ebook yet, but am planning to, but I think to get DRM epub books your best bet is to go to ebookstores which carry them like fictionwise, kobobooks, lulu books or booksonboard. I usually use inkmesh to find the best price, and yes sometimes the prices are not as low as amazon or barnes and noble, but I guess that's the price of being limited to a certain DRM format. On balance though I also count the free library books I can get on my Libre

Yeah true but its sometimes hard to find some popular titles (ie sci fic novels in this case) elsewhere than B&N or amazon. I got a gift card and tried their site obviously a wrong move unless someone has a suggestion?
Old 03-19-2010, 12:12 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Do you know the format of the ebook you purchased from B&N?

If it was the ereader format and the Libre reads ereader format then maybe B&N's DRM scheme is different from what the Libre can read.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
causticmuse
Binge Reader
causticmuse doesn't littercausticmuse doesn't litter

Device: Treo 650, JetBook Lite, Asus eeePC 900a (Linux), Palm Pre
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1xxx View Post
Hmmm maybe Im out the 4.70 but I though you could buy drm ebooks from B&N and they would work on my Libre. So far it a No go any I cant seem to convert it? Is there any away to get b&n ebooks to work? Or is 4.70 bad lesson or did I download the wrong format? Any constructive posts welcomed
I've downloaded both free and paid-for ebooks from the B&N store recently, and some have been DRM'ed eReader (.pdb) files while the more recent ones have been DRM'ed ePUBs. I don't think the Libre's firmware supports eReader PDB files at all, so if that is what you bought, you would have to unlock the file and convert it to a readable format for your unit. If it's an ePUB and won't open, it might be because B&N uses a different DRM scheme than Adobe. (Sorry, I'm not 100% sure of that.) I know that the DRM on B&N ePubs can also be removed to allow the files to be read on any ebook reader that can open unencrypted ePubs; I've done this on one of my own purchased books so I could put it on my Palm Pre and Jetbook Lite.
causticmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2010, 12:21 PM   #6
bob1xxx
Zealot

Question

Ok yeah its their PDB format, blech. Is there any way to tell before you buy what format the books in PDB or Epub on B&N because I would have not bought the book if it wasnt Epub ... Oh well no more late night ebook shopping for me.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
causticmuse
Binge Reader
causticmuse doesn't littercausticmuse doesn't litter

Device: Treo 650, JetBook Lite, Asus eeePC 900a (Linux), Palm Pre
Quote:
Ok yeah its their PDB format, blech. Is there any way to tell before you buy what format the books in PDB or Epub on B&N because I would have not bought the book if it wasnt Epub ... Oh well no more late night ebook shopping for me.
Nope, not as far as I can tell. I've looked for some kind of format label on the books at B&N, but haven't spotted anything so far. Since their B&N Reader software and Nook read both formats, they don't seem to care about the rest of us who are using other devices.

You can still try to remove the DRM from the PDB and convert to ePUB.
causticmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:56 PM   #8
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
"Calibre", which has a forum here, is great at converting from many formats to ePub.
It also has a "Page Setup" Output profile = "JetBook 5-inch", that should match your
Libre's display.

You will need to remove the DRM from your purchased eBook, for Calibre to be able
to work with the book. The fact is that, to obtain the most out of your eReader, you
will need to learn how to remove the DRM. Unfortunately, most of the world has taken
the position that removing the DRM somehow contributes to the theft of the ebook,
and have allowed the practice itself to be deemed illegal. Therefor sites like this are
unable to provide links or direct instructions to remove the DRM from the books you
have purchased and want to use on the device of your choice.

You might be able to find, using Google perhaps, a means to convert your "ereader"
files 2 HTML that Calibre would be able to work with.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:44 PM   #9
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I believe if you use a search site like Inkmesh it will tell you whether an ebook offered by B&N is in ereader or epub format.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
I believe if you use a search site like Inkmesh it will tell you whether an ebook offered by B&N is in ereader or epub format.
Grooks, unfortunately we have no way of telling (and AFAIK no one outside B&N knows unless they download the ebook) - right now we label all B&N ebooks with the eReader format. We are monitoring their webpages, however, and will start labeling BN ebook with the correct format if they even make this information available.
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:04 PM   #11
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Recently I downloaded via 3G a free book from B&N to my nook and to my 800SG. The nook book was in ePub format. The 800SG book was in PDB format. I put the the book from the nook on my 800 and it worked fine. I find it strange that all of the books that I have gotten via B&N for the 800 are in PDB format when the 800 does not support PDB well.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:32 PM   #12
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Yes, you can see the type of format if you download the sample before buy it.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote