Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-23-2017, 03:04 PM   #16501
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
When I checked earlier this morning, Kobo US had a pretty good sale for today (Nov 23rd) which seems to be mostly just a spotlight of existing publisher sale titles, conveniently located in one place, at $4.99 USD and under (mostly $1.99-$2.99).

A bunch of stuff from major publishers such as HarperCollins and Random Penguin House imprints, plus some Kobo-only discounts from small presses like Dundurn and the Hoover Institute and of course, reprints from Open Road Media. Many, but not all, of the discount prices are also available in Canada if you switch the country codes in the URL.

For some incredibly bizarre and probably inexplicable reason, they took it down while leaving today's spotlight title up, but the categories (and prices) are still live @ Fiction, Literary Fiction, Mystery & Crime, Thriller, Romance, Contemporary Romance, Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror (Orbit and Del Rey titles, and Douglas Adams' The Salmon of Doubt is just $2.99), Biography & Memoir, Nonfiction (some Jewish interest stuff in here, plus a bunch of nice science books), Kids
Thanks. It's not an incredibly bizarre and probably inexplicable reason, it's Kobo being Kobo.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:35 AM   #16502
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Kobo DownUnder has added another deal for the weekend - "Save up to 75% Plus get 5X the points.". The page for it is https://www.kobo.com/au/en/p/blackfridayanz17. That has links to lists for Fiction, Mystery, Romance, Nonfiction, Science Fiction & Fantasy and Kids & Teen.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2017, 08:44 AM   #16503
datcha
Connoisseur
datcha has a certain pleonastic somethingdatcha has a certain pleonastic somethingdatcha has a certain pleonastic somethingdatcha has a certain pleonastic somethingdatcha has a certain pleonastic somethingdatcha has a certain pleonastic somethingdatcha has a certain pleonastic somethingdatcha has a certain pleonastic somethingdatcha has a certain pleonastic somethingdatcha has a certain pleonastic somethingdatcha has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
There is a Kobo mailing list. In your account settings "My Account", check the "Yes please" radio button under "EMAIL UPDATES"
I went to my Kobo account : the "Yes please" radio button was checked ....

Maybe they were unhappy about my birthdate which made me over a century old. I just corrected it. I will see if I now get the info.

But that is not my only problem with Kobo. I wrote a review of an excellent anthology ("Soulmates" by Resnick and Robyn) but the review never appeared on the page. I posted it twice, the second time under the supervision of one of their chat people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Otherwise, subscribe to this thread, and check the first post of this thread. I try to keep it up to date with current discount codes.
I've just added the 40BOX code.
Was done too ... and BTW, thanks for your work keeping this info up to date.
datcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:54 PM   #16504
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Kobo AU has "Make a booklover's day with the perfect gift".

Give a $50 dollar eGift card to a friend and get a $10 eGift card by email.

I think I'll be friendly with myself.
Did you receive your $10 eGift card?

I took up this offer and the $10 was to be received within 48 hours. Not received yet after 3 days....

Love Kobo....
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:27 AM   #16505
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadele View Post
Did you receive your $10 eGift card?

I took up this offer and the $10 was to be received within 48 hours. Not received yet after 3 days....

Love Kobo....
Not yet, but I did read it as after the time the card was redeemed. I didn't do that for a day or so, 48 hours isn't up. And I also assumed they meant 2 working days, so that isn't up either.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2017, 06:42 AM   #16506
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I haven't received it either, and I redeemed it on Thursday.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:56 AM   #16507
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
After months of no emails from Kobo (so lovely to be spared the angst of defective coupons!), I get a message from them, informing me that my Super Points will expire on Dec 27. My first reaction was to be irritated they even contacted me but I suppose this message doesn't fall under "... info on the latest eBooks, offers, and app updates."

They can keep my measly points, just like they've kept all the codes I was unable to use
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:48 AM   #16508
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Why does Kobo's Black Friday promo say today only save on these books? The romance selection is the same every single day! I know, I've been checking it out every day.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:50 AM   #16509
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
Why does Kobo's Black Friday promo say today only save on these books? The romance selection is the same every single day! I know, I've been checking it out every day.
There's been a few books that were only for a day plus new books in the nonfiction section although most of the books have been around the whole time.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:21 PM   #16510
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I haven't received it either, and I redeemed it on Thursday.
Hi Terisa. I redeemed on Friday and not a squeak since. Hmmm
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:31 PM   #16511
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
In Canada & the US, Kobo is having an additional 1-day sale of discount titles from Macmillan imprints for $2.99 and less, including Tor and St. Martin's Press, which is probably also available at other retailers.

There's a whole stack of Janet Evanovich in her popular Stephanie Plum series, and a few Dana Stabenow titles in her Kate Shugak series (the 1st one is a long-term freebie offered by the author herself), some cozy mysteries, thrillers, a few romances, and sf/fantasy.

Officially, the deal only has a promo page for Canada: The Savings Aren't Over: Bestsellers starting at $2.99 (actually $1.99 for some of the Tor novellas), but changing the country code in the URL shows that most of the prices are also available in the US.

The Janet Evanovich portion of the sale does have a dedicated US promo page: Janet Evanovich Mysteries for $2.99.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:06 PM   #16512
zelda.owns.link
Evangelist
zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Kobo AU has "Make a booklover's day with the perfect gift".

Give a $50 dollar eGift card to a friend and get a $10 eGift card by email.

I think I'll be friendly with myself.
I did this here in Canada and did receive my $10! I was gobsmacked!!!
zelda.owns.link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:11 PM   #16513
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Through December 4th, Kobo CA, UK, and US are having a rather nice weekend sale on Chilly Thrillers, which in some cases includes Horror and SFnal ones, under £2.99/$4.99 CAD. Most are priced under £1.99/$2.99, with a substantial number at the £0.99/$1.99 mark. Some of the prices are just current publisher markdowns being spotlighted, but some of the things from the smaller presses are Kobo-exclusive markdowns and usually couponable/VIP discount-eligible.

The selection is actually pretty good, with a mix of stuff from large (the many divisions of Macmillan & Hachette) and small publishers (Head of Zeus, Orenda, House of Anansi, and other specialty), with a few indies thrown in, and a generous selection of translated works if you're into international authors, and many well-known authors and/or awards-recognized series in the lot. A fair chunk of my wishlist is in this.

In Canada, main page with categories: Thrillers, Mysteries, Women Sleuths, Police Procedurals, Hard-Boiled Mysteries (a good selection of 3-book omnibuses from Canadian small publisher ECW Press), International Mysteries, Historical Mysteries, Horror, Crime, Espionage, Cozy Mysteries, Romantic Suspense, Young Adult

US looks like it's got different categories but overall the same selection as Canada, barring some geo-restrictions. Main page here with categories: Crime Thrillers, Suspenseful Thrillers, Action & Espionage Thrillers, Supernatural Thrillers, Psychological Thrillers, Detective Fiction, Mystery Thrillers, Romantic Suspense, Thrilling Thrillers (which seems kind of redundantly redundant), Hard Boiled Mysteries, Kids & Teen Thrillers

In the UK, main page with categories: Chilling Crimes, Nordic Noir , Foreboding Fiction, Psychological Thrillers, Hair-Raising Horror

I should probably note that this being Kobo, some of the titles and authors aren't filed in the categories one might expect. Quite a number of foreign-language authors are filed outside of the dedicated International Mysteries and Nordic Noir cats, and some non-Nordics/domestics in, so it's probably worth making a trawl through the adjacent categories of whatever you're regularly interested in as well.

Semi-related to that, Quentin Bates and Michael Ridpath are English authors writing series set in Iceland—I really enjoyed Ridpath's Fire & Ice series, for which the 1st has been a freebie and the later novels not available as e-books in North America were on my wishlist (I read them in paper from the library and have been waiting literally years for them to pricedrop), and Bates' series was also pretty decent. ETA: I should probably also note that Bates' Frozen Out (in the UK sale) was published in North America as Frozen Assets, and has been a $1.99 Soho Crime bargain a few times in the past which you might already have, in case you travel. Also, the handful of tie-in novellas by Bates and Ridpath are both at what IIRC are regular prices, so you can wait to pick them up later.

I would recommend them both without hesitation for readers interested in trying faux-Scandicrime (especially if you happen to be a Tolkien fan, since the 1st-in-series Ridpath novel has a reasonably substantial connection to his works in the plot).

Last edited by ATDrake; 12-01-2017 at 10:42 PM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:19 PM   #16514
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
From what I've learned from interacting with Kobo, the Big 5 don't give them wiggle room on discounts. What Kobo does is create a discount code (GIFT50 just the other day), then only allow certain books to be discounted (https://www.kobo.com/us/en/p/dec50?u...=00003&utm_id=). So we have to visit a specific list, then remember to add the code ourselves to get the discount.

This might explain why codes shared on here don't have a high success rate. They aren't often global codes. Don't you think?
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:16 AM   #16515
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I have a 50% off VIP code if anyone wants it. Valid to December 20th.

For a limited time only: become a VIP Member for only £3 when you use promo code VIPDA4SVH
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coupon, discount, ridiculous deals