Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #46
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
That was not product placement. Larssen was not paid for including the brand names (as should be obvious). He did it for versimilitude.
"Larssen was not paid for including the brand names (as should be obvious). "

Curious as to why that should be obvious? Wasn't The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo published after his death? So there is no way he ever new it would be the success it was. I'm not saying you are wrong, that it was in no way product placement for which he was paid, but I don't see the "should be obvious" part. I don't see why suspicion should not be raised by the description of that computer that sounds like an ad?
Old 10-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #47
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
That was not product placement. Larssen was not paid for including the brand names (as should be obvious). He did it for versimilitude.
I agree with this. I remember that part, when I read it, seemed unnecessary and an unwanted infodump, but I don't consider it product placement. It was just poor writing.

I really doubt Apple went out of their way to pay some (then) unknown Swedish author to mention their device in his book. Do we really think their marketing department thought another 11 customers would boost their business significantly?

We know for a fact that product placement happens in movies and TV shows, but I have not really heard of such in books. It would be news to me.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #48
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
That is already with us. A few examples from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. Just a quick search for product names (this really struck me while I was reading it) turned up these:
I thought that the excessive descriptions of the specifications of her computer were just an obsessed writer [a bit aspergers like the main character], and an editor reluctant to make changes after he'd died. That seemed too specific, even for product placement.

As for the IKEA references, they have a particular look... the description helped place what it looked like, and I can't think of a better way to describe an apartment if it's furnished with IKEA stuff... again, didn't feel like product placement to me. I envisioned that as a whole bunch of lightweight minimalist Ikea furniture and a heavyweight chair that didn't really fit.

And Mercedes... well... what should he have said "got into his luxury car"? Doesn't flow the same... Maybe I'm gullible, but none of those felt like product placement to me.

Last edited by twowheels; 10-24-2011 at 03:48 PM.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #49
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
As for the OP, I would love to have ads in my ebooks. Not only do I not mind them, I insist on them.

If we don't have ads in ebooks within 2-3 years, that's it for me. I'm immediately turning to the darknet for my books.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:11 PM   #50
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:

Curious as to why that should be obvious? Wasn't The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo published after his death? So there is no way he ever new it would be the success it was. I'm not saying you are wrong, that it was in no way product placement for which he was paid, but I don't see the "should be obvious" part. I don't see why suspicion should not be raised by the description of that computer that sounds like an ad?
It's obvious because what you're suggesting has never happened in the history of the universe. Even pre-arranged product placement in novels is ridiculously rare.

Sometimes authors like to include things in their stories that actually exist.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:50 PM   #51
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keryl Raist View Post
The idea of having a scene where a character does drink a Pepsi with a little hyperlink that can connect you to a Pepsi coupon might be interesting. The big thing is doing it so that it's not intrusive. I don't want to read page after page of hundreds of name brand items.
I wouldn't mind either, as long as the links were discreet--but they wouldn't be getting any revenue from me, because my ereader doesn't have wifi. Unless the ad/coupon is embedded in the text of the book, delivery is dependent on conditions outside the advertiser's, or even the bookstore's, control.

Advertisers don't want to pay for a portion of the ebooks I read, because I'm not going to give any consideration to the ads. I won't be clicking on the ad links because I won't be reading on a device with clickthough ability.

And while most newer ereaders have wifi, there are still plenty that don't--and plenty more that keep it turned off except when they're getting new books, both to save battery and because they don't have constant access to wifi.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:15 PM   #52
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLavigne View Post
I really don't like ads in my reading material, but lets look at the big picture:

1. Magazines and newspapers are full of ads, and nobody is boycotting them
2. Television, radio, internet sites -- sponsored and paid by advertisers
3. Commercial-quality videos on YouTube and news sites now lead with advertisements

If ebooks ads are tactfully placed, and not excessive, then I would be fine with it, especially if it led to a free ebook or at least a very good discount. Just please, please keep it mute. I can't stand internet ads that are audible distractors.

Vic
i'm not massively offended by ads in general but its a sad state of affairs when the only way to get away from advertisements is either a) turn amish or b)do nothing but sleep.

i read to get away from the constant noise and clutter bouncing around my head from those other entertainment mediums.

i think at the point when ads are inserted into the books themselves piracy will become a revolutionary act. if the book is free either way there is NOTHING stopping me from pirating a copy in order to experience a "pure" version of the book. the authors arent going to see a cent from the advertising revenue either way.

to shift gears a tad gamers were sold a bill of goods when they were told that dynamic ads and product placement in games was gonna lower prices. they're still $60....they haven't dropped in price one red cent.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:20 PM   #53
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekster View Post
Wow, I've seen placement ads before. I could accept the Mercedes and the IKEA part, thinking the author just thought it would fit or got a small kickback... but writing the release date and all the details of how many pixels and which processor in the laptop like a store ad is really over-kill. I'd definitely put away a book like that.
amen. the most i've seen is "he went to the fridge and grabbed a Coke". yes its a brand name but i could also just see it as a generic term for soda.

no way in hell would i pay for a product catalog like that.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:21 PM   #54
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
In the '60s, it wasn't uncommon for paperbacks to have a center insert with advertising for cigarettes or a book club.

Personally if it meant cheaper prices, I would like ads. I would no doubt remove them, but in the process of removing them I'd no doubt at least see them once so I wouldn't feel like I was doing something unethical...
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:36 PM   #55
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:

This - he didn't have a publishing deal when he wrote the books, or when he died, so even if he wanted to do product placement, I don't think he would have been able to.

Also, the technology he mentions is generally obsolete: I don't think you've been able to buy a Palm Tungsten T3 for more than five years.

Finally, given his political proclivities, I'm not sure that he would be in favor of product placement anyway.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:36 AM   #56
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
i think at the point when ads are inserted into the books themselves piracy will become a revolutionary act. if the book is free either way there is NOTHING stopping me from pirating a copy in order to experience a "pure" version of the book. the authors arent going to see a cent from the advertising revenue either way.
That's like saying that since you can get the book from the library for free, you might as well pirate it and not be limited by a waiting list or having to return the book.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:15 AM   #57
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keryl Raist View Post
Well, that's where one would hope the author/publisher would have some sense.

For example, I know I'd be willing to have 10ish linked terms in my book. Since I'm the publisher, I could take care of it to make sure it works that way. (Granted, no one is banging down my door to advertise in my books...)

Now, sure, Random House might decide that having every third word, and writing in extra scenes to add more words, linked is a brilliant plan. But my guess is their sales would drop.

One of my hopes for the indie book movement is that as more writing moves to the control of the author, that we'll see a more tailored and sensible approach to pricing and methods of making money off of books.
I actually believe that indie authors will be the first to pioneer the use of ads in books. Let's face it, Stephen King and James Patterson have made their big money. They don't have to bother with ads in their books or discount their prices.
Indie writers are different. Many of them are looking for income any way they can. I can see indie writers offering two versions of their books - an ad-free 2.99 version for those who hate ads and an ad-supported version for 0.99 or free. There may be even a fremium model where you get the ad-supported model for free with an option to "upgrade" to the ad-free version if you like the book. It works for games and apps, why not books?
The beauty of the "links" approach is that the issue of "intrusiveness" largely disappears, so long as the authors and publishers are sensible about it. Since authors would have ultimate control, it would be win-win for authors, IMO.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:24 AM   #58
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I wouldn't mind either, as long as the links were discreet--but they wouldn't be getting any revenue from me, because my ereader doesn't have wifi. Unless the ad/coupon is embedded in the text of the book, delivery is dependent on conditions outside the advertiser's, or even the bookstore's, control.

Advertisers don't want to pay for a portion of the ebooks I read, because I'm not going to give any consideration to the ads. I won't be clicking on the ad links because I won't be reading on a device with clickthough ability.

And while most newer ereaders have wifi, there are still plenty that don't--and plenty more that keep it turned off except when they're getting new books, both to save battery and because they don't have constant access to wifi.
Well, the advertisers don't have to appeal to everyone-just to the vast majority. My guess is that most people who read ebooks remain connected by default-especially when you include all those who read ebooks on their smartphones. Five years from now most people will read on devices that will be connected all or most of the time.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #59
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
When I read the Swedish version (Män som hatar kvinnor) the description of Salander's Air MacBook was already outdated, can't imagine what it must read like in translation a year later.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:07 PM   #60
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Well, the advertisers don't have to appeal to everyone-just to the vast majority. My guess is that most people who read ebooks remain connected by default-especially when you include all those who read ebooks on their smartphones. Five years from now most people will read on devices that will be connected all or most of the time.
And the advertisers will be content to just take a loss on the ones that aren't connected, rather than insisting those books only be compatible with wifi devices?
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote