Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-27-2007, 02:21 PM   #31
Bert
Enthusiast
Bert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with others

Device: iRex iLiad, PRS-600
Sources

Because several people would like them: here are the sources of the 1.4 version.

I just zipped my entire source directory (including build, dist, ...), so everything should be there. Also note I created the app with NetBeans 5.5, to edit the just open the source-dir and everything should work fine (you'll have to add the iText library to the NetBeans libraries though).

Note: these sources don't include the iText library I used. Visit http://www.lowagie.com/iText/ to get the sources or binaries.

A little disclaimer: It has almost 5 years since I last wrote something in Java (and the first time using an IDE, in college we had to use notepad/emacs so we wouldn't be 'spoiled' by the IDE's features). So if you see something strange/funny/stupid in these sources, please inform me ... I didn't take (yet) the time to 'clean up' these sources
Attached Files
File Type: zip ILiadPdfScribbleMerger v1.4 - src.zip (1.83 MB, 607 views)
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:14 PM   #32
kusmi
Connoisseur
kusmi began at the beginning.

Cool stuff, many thanks - I take a look, as one thing I was missing is support for transparency (not sure, if iText supports it though) - currently all drawings are opaque, so if you (by mistake) draw a line over some text, this text is no longer readable, so perhaps some light transparency might help :-)
kusmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2007, 04:40 PM   #33
Bert
Enthusiast
Bert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with others

Another update (v1.6) - see front page for files & source:

- Scifier noticed that bookmarks are lost when merging pdf's with scribbles (Well, he noticed that with the iLiad companion software - but this was also the case with my tool). This is fixed now. Instead of recreating a new pdf from he old one by copying all pages, I now copy the original and modify that one. This also preserves comments (author, description, ...), forms, ...
- You can now drag & drop files & folders to the source & destination boxes.
- Shows some indication when merging (wait cursor).

Bert
Old 04-05-2007, 05:29 AM   #34
BACbKA
мокрец
BACbKA began at the beginning.

Device: palm, iliad
Thanks!

Moderator: stick this thread, please.
BACbKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:52 AM   #35
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Thanks Bert for your update. Your scribble merger has more features than iRex's one.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2007, 08:12 AM   #36
Scifier
[=>>=]
Scifier began at the beginning.

Device: Asus 620BT (was), Irex Iliad (was), Kindle Keyboard, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert
Another update (v1.6) - see front page for files & source:

- Scifier noticed that bookmarks are lost when merging pdf's with scribbles (Well, he noticed that with the iLiad companion software - but this was also the case with my tool). This is fixed now. Instead of recreating a new pdf from Bert
Works very fast even on the huge PDF files. Excellent tool ! Thanks Bert.

Though one small enhancement could make it a bit more usable - could you add a ability to save color custom color mappings to a configuration file.

Since my LCD monitor has a little bit more colors than Iliad does I would rather prefer to have my scribbles to be of non-grayscale colors.

I would have changed the hardcoded values myself (ScribbleMergeForm.java file) if I knew how to compile java sources into jar file
I guess I need to install Ant, Java compiler and then execute Ant with the build.xml as a command line parameter - but this is there my Java knowledge ends.

If you don't have time for implementing color mapping persistence - may be you could provide us with steps on how to setup a java build environment to build your sources.

Thanks.
Scifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:14 PM   #37
BACbKA
мокрец

scifier: I'm satisfied w/ using the command-line options for mapping the colors, once and for all, and am generally using the tool from the command line.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:54 PM   #38
Bert
Enthusiast

@Scifier: I created the app using NetBeans 5.5 (netbeans.org). Just open the complete directory in NetBeans and you can easily build & run the project.

About the color maps: I myself always use the GUI, an it is a (little) hassle to always select the colors. So I decided to do just as scifier suggested, and implemented color map presets.

Check version 1.7 for details (see first post for binary & source)
Old 04-07-2007, 06:27 AM   #39
Bert
Enthusiast

New update (v1.7.5): Using saved color mappings supported in command line mode (see -? for details, check the -cm switch). You'll have to use the GUI to create the color mappings.
I also fixed a bug in the GUI version: the mapping selected at startup was the last saved mapping, not the last used.

A few notes about these color mappings (in command line mode):
  • The program searches for a file 'ColorMapPresets.xml' in the current directory and retrieves the mappings from there. I decided for now to use the current directory because I wasn't sure where to put the file otherwise ... I could put it together with the .jar, but I can't be sure if I have write rights in that folder (or do I ?).
  • If it can find the xml file, the program will use the default mapping found in that file (this is the last used mapping in the GUI). Extra color switches (-c1 to -c4) can override parts or all of this default mapping.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:36 PM   #40
Scifier
[=>>=]

Quote:
@Scifier: I created the app using NetBeans 5.5 (netbeans.org). Just open the complete directory in NetBeans and you can easily build & run the project.
I've downloaded the latest NetBeans (the version that comes with Java SDK since I didn't have it on my machine) and the sources of your ScribbleMerger
had been compiled with no errors or warnings (this is rarely happens to me when I compile something open sourced) - so I guess I don't have to bother anyone in case if I want a quick fix or a custom tailored enhancement. Thanks for sharing sources, Bert.

Quote:
About the color maps: I myself always use the GUI, an it is a (little) hassle to always select the colors. So I decided to do just as scifier suggested, and implemented color map presets.
Thanks to Bert, now everyone can enjoy scrible colors they like the most.

Last edited by Scifier; 04-09-2007 at 12:32 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:02 AM   #41
Scifier
[=>>=]

Quote:
New update (v1.7.5): Using saved color mappings supported in command line mode (see -? for details, check the -cm switch). You'll have to use the GUI to create the color mappings.
I also fixed a bug in the GUI version: the mapping selected at startup was the last saved mapping, not the last used.
(after some pondering over resulting documents produced by Scribble Merger): Is it possible to implement merging scribbles into PDF document so we could delete/update them later. Currently, after scribbles been merged with PDF document, they becomes irreversibly embedded into PDF document as the images(?).

What I would like to see - instead of converting Iliad scribbles into images, having them embedded as a "line objects/lines" (not sure if I'm using the right term here). Having scribbles as "lines" allow us to remove or update them on PC as well.

I believe the "line" (*1)(*2) is the 2nd most popular tool (the number one is the highlighting but highlights doesn't really work nice on the 16-grayscale Iliad's screen) to make notes "on" PDF documents.

Moreover, we would be able to convert these "line" objects back to Iliad's scribbles - so we could even delete/update them on Iliad! This would really make note taking a two-way process.

---
1. See "Comment and Markup" toolbar in Adobe Acrobat 8.0
2. See "Drawing Markup Tools" toolbar in Foxit Reader 2.0

Last edited by Scifier; 04-09-2007 at 07:48 AM. Reason: fix some mistakes in English
Old 04-09-2007, 02:30 PM   #42
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Just for fun, I tried to build and run this tool and it works well. Nice work! I will probably never use it because I don't use my scribbles that way (nobody but me can read my letters so I manually convert my notes to text), but still... just wanted to say it seems like a great product

Btw, I used itext 2.0.1 instead of 1.4.8, it compiled and ran perfectly (even a bit faster, perhaps? and the jar file is actually smaller). Perhaps the transparancy features somebody mentioned are in place now.

Last edited by narve; 04-09-2007 at 03:17 PM.
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:37 PM   #43
BACbKA
мокрец

Quote:
Originally Posted by narve
Just for fun, I tried to build and run this tool and it works well. Nice work! I will probably never use it because I don't use my scribbles that way (nobody but me can read my letters so I manually convert my notes to text)
my most freq. use of this tool is the "only scribbled page" mode, to dump the pages I have scribbled during proofreading an article (or an e-book I've been preparing during leisure time), for subsequent viewing of the PDF and changing the original TeX accordingly.

A real killer application for TeX-centered proofreading might be an addon to the whizzytex package -- to be used supposedly with the original DVI equivalent to the scribbled on PDF -- so, browsing on the PC through the scribbles in the merger application (maybe just an add-on to a sophisticated enough DVI viewer), one automatically jumps to different spots in the original TeX file through the same DVI specials as in whizzytex.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:30 PM   #44
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
That would be extremely cool.

I really want scribbles for some documents other than PDF, myself.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:31 AM   #45
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
I just used your tool for the first time. I used the Iliad to correct a thesis draft a student gave me, and sent him his PDF back with bright red wonderful correction marks. I love it!

(Now if I could have calibration, I could even write annotations... Imagine "This ain't true! Try again!" using the Iliad... Mhhhhm)
ali is offline   Reply With Quote