Notices

Old 10-28-2006, 11:08 AM   #1
hrbrmstr
OS X Wielding PRS-500 Own
hrbrmstr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
prs-gen.pl :: Batch RSS->PDF Script

Hey folks,

Found this site & forums after getting my Reader two days ago (had it backordered on SonyStyle until Nov 10, but our local Borders had plenty of them and I managed to use the 10% off personal shopping day to save a decent amount of $$). Both the main mobileread blog and forums are a great resource!

I'm a Mac user (though I use Windows, *BSD, Linux & Solaris almost as much depending on the day), so having to deal with Parallels to run XP to be able to use the sham that is the CONNECT software is more than I want to go through to get content onto the Reader. The selection of CONNECT RSS feeds is also pretty limited (tho, I can kinda understand why since not many RSS feeds are full text) and the once-per-day update is lame at best.

So, I threw together a quick script (that requires a few helper libs/modules) that should be adaptable to any platform. I posted some info on it, a download link and a sample PDF over at: http://www.rudis.net/2006/10/28/prs-...-pdf-rss-feeds. I also attached the tar/gz bundle to this post.

It's not as user-friendly as the very cool RSS2Book mentioned here - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7946 - but it's highly hackable and doesn't require Windows or the .NET Framework (though it does require Perl). Like RSS2Book, it relies on HTMLDoc for much of the heavy lifting.

I welcome any feedback, changes, suggestions, etc.
Attached Files
File Type: gz prs-gen.tar.gz (1.7 KB, 383 views)
hrbrmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 11:53 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Hi hrbrmstr, glad to see you've found us And that's a very nice first post... thanks for the script!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert