Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-02-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
johnstu
johnstu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS505, iPhone, Kindle 2, iPad 2
I think I'm going to return my Kindle 2

I've had the Kindle 2 for nearly a month now and am happy with it in general.

However I'm not happy with the cost of books in the UK.The $14.09 (plus any bank charges that we have to pay is a bit much. and we don't get the internet functionality of our American friends.

On top of that we face the newly empowered publishers grinning at their deal with Apple keen to push up the price of kindle books in the US up to $14.99 leaving we international customers with an even steeper price tag.

does anyone have any words to encourage me to stick with the kindle before I seal up the box and send it back?
johnstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:36 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
If you truly like the Kindle there is no reason you can't buy books from other sources in any format and convert them for use on your Kindle (depending on how comfortable you are with DRM liberation).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Since you already own a 505 I can't think of anything to persuade to keep the K2. Anything I would say would apply to the 505.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:56 AM   #4
johnstu

Thanks,

I love the 505 but was attracted to the Kindle for the whispernet delivery and browsing and (ironically) the $9.99 book prices on the amazon store.

I have no plans to leave ereading, just the kindle. I think if I was in the US it would be the reader that would make the most sense for me but not here in the UK. I'm pretty much decided that I'm going to stick with my Sony(s) for now.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:51 AM   #5
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Nearly everyday there are free books for the kindle... Of course they cost 2 bucks, but that's still cheap..

Edit: For people outside USA, that is.

Last edited by lene1949; 02-03-2010 at 02:57 AM.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2010, 04:48 AM   #6
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
To be honest I only use my kindle for newspapers from calibre and scraped, as well as books from the nypl. I really never plan on buying a book from amazon.
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:23 AM   #7
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I agree with Daffy4U. No-one is forcing you to buy your Kindle books from Amazon. It's a competitive market. Shop around.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
JetSetter
JetSetter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
You might consider that things change. Write Amazon to tell them your comments. If they hear from enough non-American Kindle owners, they may change their policy. I mean, remember that they didn't even have Kindle available for international customers a year ago. I expect the changes in book prices means that Amazon will need to find another way to attract customers and stay competitive. Apple is very international as well, so Amazon will need to compete with them on a global level.

If you aren't happy though, then go ahead and return it. If I were in your position I would hold out, because the minute you return it, they'll suddenly change everything. I bought a US Kindle before moving overseas...a few months later they lowered the Kindle's price and released the international Kindle...why didn't I just hold out? The answer is that I didn't think they would release an international Kindle so soon. That's what I get for underestimating how fast things can change. I do love my Kindle though, so I try not to think about it too much.
JetSetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:48 PM   #9
johnstu

Thanks again everyone, there have been some interesting responses to ponder.

As was mentioned above I do have a couple of Sony readers as well so while considering what to do I've been concentrating on what I'm losing in functionality in returning the Kindle. I lose search within a book, dictionary, text to speech and the whispernet.

Text to speech I can live without. Dictionary is also no great loss, I can look up anything I want on my phone. The wispernet is one thing I wanted the kindle for, but I can wait till I get to a computer to buy for the Sony.

But the search, I really think I'll miss the search. "Who was that character?" my mind asks. Quickly search and my memory is refreshed. Reference works are much more useful with a search function.

That's what it's coming down to; do I want a search function more than a $249 refund? That's an expensive search. But I kind of do want it.

Jetsetter has an interesting point. Amazon didn't become Amazon without knowing a thing or two about marketing so they probably do have a trick or two up their sleeve. If I do send it back then they annonce a deal with international 3G carriers cutting out the $2 premium then I'm going to feel a bit annoyed with myself. Especially as to get a new one I'll have to fork out for shipping and import tax again.

Maybe I can convince one of my relatives to move to America...
Old 02-03-2010, 05:40 PM   #10
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstu View Post
But the search, I really think I'll miss the search. "Who was that character?" my mind asks. Quickly search and my memory is refreshed. Reference works are much more useful with a search function.
That's the thing, it's a personal choice. I can live without the search, but not the dictionary.

The feature sets on current readers are just enough different to make weighing pros and cons a pretty tricky proposition.

Good luck making your decision!
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #11
syfr
syfr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
Is it really right to return a reader because you just noticed the cost of media?
syfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #12
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
I agree with Daffy4U. No-one is forcing you to buy your Kindle books from Amazon. It's a competitive market. Shop around.
But since he has a Sony 505, not much reason to keep the K2 outside of the Amazon store, since he could put books from anywhere else on the 505 just like he could the K2.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:12 PM   #13
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Yes it's not the best situation for international Kindle users. The Sony is a much more compelling device for international people.

I wonder if the iPad will also have additional charges and restrictions for international users - we'll soon see!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #14
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Yes it's not the best situation for international Kindle users. The Sony is a much more compelling device for international people.

I wonder if the iPad will also have additional charges and restrictions for international users - we'll soon see!

The same geographic restrictions will apply...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #15
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
You can always turn to the dark side and start downloading books illegally, or just stick with cheapies. To give K2 away, now that's a crime
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote