Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 10-08-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
rainbowworrier
Frazzled
rainbowworrier began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Pro 603
Pixelar Hanlin V3: Japanese problems

Hello again all,

I can't get Japanese files to display on my Pixelar Hanlin V3. I have tried .txt, .rtf, .epub and files. I have tried setting the language to "Japanese". I am deeply suspicious of the fact that, when the language is "Japanese" none of the words on the menus are readable - except for the oones that are always in English.

My firmware version is V2.01EN.081203. this should support Japanese, shouldn't it? Do I need to install and upgrade or patch or am I missing something obvious?

I have succeeded in getting German, French and Russian files displaying properly, it's just Japanese that's giving me grief.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!
rainbowworrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:10 PM   #2
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
Hi Rainbowworrier. Asian language files have special problems. First of all, do you have the Japanese fonts installed? Second, is the encoding in Unicode or JIS, JIS Shift? I get the same problems with Chinese language files.
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2009, 04:39 AM   #3
rainbowworrier
Frazzled

Quote:
First of all, do you have the Japanese fonts installed? Second, is the encoding in Unicode or JIS, JIS Shift?
It doesn't look like the Japanese or Korean fonts are installed...though by rights they should be. A Chinese true type font is there and works fine.

The man from Pixelar says I am on v2.10 therefore it doesn't have Japanese support. I can't see why V2.01 should be the same as v2.10. Anyhow he has promised me a firmware upgrade....perhaps it will actually be a downgrade to V2.02. I hope it works.

It seems that the files I created in RTF using wordpad are unicode UTF-8. Maybe they should be in JIS?

Presumably I could add a Japanese truetype font myself?

It doesn't help that I am new to learning Japanese so can't actually read it yet. D'oh!
Old 10-09-2009, 01:20 PM   #4
rainbowworrier
Frazzled

Update:

Pixelar had a word with Jinke texh support who have put a new firmware update on their web site. There is no description but they say it'll fix my Japanese problems. I have installed, also a different font as I couldn't work out if IBOOKN.ttf (the system font) actually supports Japanese.

Now I can get ebooks in Japanese and Chinese, created by people who know what they are doing, to display correctly. Also the files I created myself from Google Documents in .PDF display fine. The files I created myself in RTF and TXT in Japanese and Chinese still don't display.....maybe I did something wrong? As I say, files created by people who know what they are doing are displaying fine.