Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-17-2009, 12:44 AM   #76
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Ankh,
I loaded your file on mine and it worked fine there too. Actually it loads really fast and changes from one page to the next, or going to a specific page, all occur very fast.

It appears that not all PDFs are equal. Here's a link to the PDF where the Go To Page doesn't work for me -- http://www.archive.org/download/work...01dickuoft.pdf

I think it might just be this PDF. I have some other large image based PDFs at work and I'll bring those home tomorrow and try them. Here is what happens with this PDF.

Menu - Go To 1 takes me to the cover which is expected.
Menu - Go To 574 takes me to the endcover which is expected.

Menu - Go To 2 takes me to page 4 in the book. Three prev buttons clicks takes me to the first page of the book, and as Gideon said, there are a lot of unnumbered pages before this as well. The lower right hand side shows 38 of 574. (i.e. there is a huge jump between Menu - Go To 1 and Menu - Go To 2)

When I press Menu - Go To 22 it takes me to page 28 in the book (not the PDF), and the lower right hand side shows 70 of 574 (note 70-22=58). The number at the bottom center of the display shows 22.

When I press Menu - Go To 35 it takes me to page 45 in the book (is actually an image but the page before it is page 44), and the lower right hand side shows 87 of 574, and 87-35=53 so you can see the PDF pages and the book pages aren't staying in sync.

When I press Menu - Go To 500 it takes me to page 424 in the book, and the lower right hand side shows 500 of 574. The number at the bottom center of the display shows 388.

Sometimes I see the text "Current Page ? of 454" displayed in gray when I press Menu - Go To.

Last edited by Daithi; 06-17-2009 at 12:50 AM.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #77
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I was hoping that the DX would have better implementation of Reader 9.0. Portfolios only appear as one page, even if the document itself is 876 pages. That one page reads "Download Acrobat 9.0 to read this document" or words to that effect.

So, I'm back to thinking that I'm going to stick in search pages or codes in documents or between them. The search function is a little slow, but not too bad considering that "go to page" may not be very accurate. I think a search of the 876 page document (not in portfolio form) from page one to a word I knew only existed on the 876 page took about two minutes. I'll probably stop watch time the next search .....

It really could have had MUCH better implementation. It's still going to help my practice in a HUGE way. I should be able to get all of my client files on it and keep them current on it (I will be using USB pretty much exclusively). I notice that if I have the USB plugged in, and I have Acrobat running, I can open the documents on the DX in Adobe on the computer, and all of the Adobe book marks and other information is still there in the file, so if they improve the firmware, they will have a MUCH better product.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2009, 08:23 PM   #78
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Comparison of Kindle 2 versus Hanlin V3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshanti4la View Post
Hello friends:

Thank you so much for these interesting comments. Pls, can anyone add a bit more commentary on a comparison of the Kindle DX and a BeBook/Hanlin v 3?

I'm still so undecided on which e-reader will work best for my needs, which are the ability to read PDFs and, one hopes, the ability to highlight or make comments on the text. I'm a PhD student (yeah, this is what the failing economy does to some people) and am simply swimming in PDF material. The Hanlin looks interesting but it's size is a bit small, yes? And I live outside of the US, so Kindle support would be iffy at best, don't you think?

Any comments on the software, Stanza, which is reported to reconfigure and load PDF books to Kindle 2s without the assistance of the Amazon middleman?

Again, thank you for such a helpful forum.

Linda
Dear Linda:

ALL Hanlin products are carried by Astak in North America. The Kindle DX is a 9.7 inch and the exact competitor for it is the Hanlin V9.

Here is a comparison on the EZ Reader (Hanlin V3) and the Kindle 2:

http://broo2.blogspot.com/2009/03/as...der-ebook.html

The Hanlin V9 is expected to be better than the Amazon Kindle DX in many ways. The biggest one is that it will have a Flexi screen instead of glass. Glass in that size is prone to cracking from twisting. I am NOT putting down the competition... just explaining WHY Hanlin decided to pull back its glass V9 and re-do it 100% with the Flexi screen. The V9 is projected for October, 2009 as the mass production of the Flexi screen will start in September. I think it will be very well worth the wait. Kindle fans will think not. Sorry, but I am answering your question and NOT putting down my competition.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:41 PM   #79
sungeng1
sungeng1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Robert B,

What's the price tag of Hanlin V9?

Thanks.
sungeng1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:49 PM   #80
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Linda:

ALL Hanlin products are carried by Astak in North America. The Kindle DX is a 9.7 inch and the exact competitor for it is the Hanlin V9.

Here is a comparison on the EZ Reader (Hanlin V3) and the Kindle 2:

http://broo2.blogspot.com/2009/03/as...der-ebook.html

The Hanlin V9 is expected to be better than the Amazon Kindle DX in many ways. The biggest one is that it will have a Flexi screen instead of glass. Glass in that size is prone to cracking from twisting. I am NOT putting down the competition... just explaining WHY Hanlin decided to pull back its glass V9 and re-do it 100% with the Flexi screen. The V9 is projected for October, 2009 as the mass production of the Flexi screen will start in September. I think it will be very well worth the wait. Kindle fans will think not. Sorry, but I am answering your question and NOT putting down my competition.
some days do you feel like you are tip-toeing around in the mine field you create but lost the map for?

Nice explanation btw...about time too...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2009, 10:37 AM   #81
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Review on Amazon

The review is on Amazon now. If you'd like to see it, comment, or vote it up so there's something besides lover letters to Amazon and people calling it garbage you can do so here:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R24OY7A...cm_cr_rdp_perm
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:42 AM   #82
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
The Hanlin V9 is expected to be better than the Amazon Kindle DX in many ways. The biggest one is that it will have a Flexi screen instead of glass. Glass in that size is prone to cracking from twisting.
Just throwing out a data point, but the iRex DR has a 10.2 inch glass screen (larger than the size you're talking about) and has been out since November of last year. There have been very few reports of broken screens.

Theoretically a larger screen would be more fragile, but in practice it doesn't seem to be a real issue. It probably has more to do with a well designed case with structural support and a good cover than it does with any inherent problem with larger/glass screens.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #83
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Just throwing out a data point, but the iRex DR has a 10.2 inch glass screen (larger than the size you're talking about) and has been out since November of last year. There have been very few reports of broken screens.

Theoretically a larger screen would be more fragile, but in practice it doesn't seem to be a real issue. It probably has more to do with a well designed case with structural support and a good cover than it does with any inherent problem with larger/glass screens.
The fact that there are few reported broken screen does not tell us much about the durability of 1000DS screen. First, there may be smaller number of buyers compared to small screen device, resulting in fewer broken screen. Second, users will be aware of the screen fragility and use it more carefully. For example, they may use it more in-doors rather than carry it casually as they would have done with smaller screen readers. Since the machine is rather heavy, I would expect many people will use it indoors.

As the screen gets more durable and reading device gets lighter, people will be able to carry it more freely with less worry. I think it is always a good idea to have more durable screen (flexiglas or plastic) than glass-based e-ink, especially for big screen reader.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:37 PM   #84
tklaus
Connoisseur
tklaus doesn't littertklaus doesn't litter

Device: iPad, Kindle DX
I don't know about the DR, but the DX case is all metal and feels very solid. The screen may break if you drop something on it, but it's not prone to twisting without a lot of force.
tklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #85
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
As the screen gets more durable and reading device gets lighter, people will be able to carry it more freely with less worry.
I agree that plastic screens make sense for a lot of reasons. I was just saying that the notion that "glass screens are prone to cracking" seems to be false.

Quote:
I think it is always a good idea to have more durable screen (flexiglas or plastic) than glass-based e-ink, especially for big screen reader.
Yes, plastic screens are a solution to the durability problem of glass. The question is, does the "problem" really exist?
Old 06-18-2009, 01:01 PM   #86
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Frankly, large screen breakage seems to be a non-issue.

Yes, users are generally able to figure out, that their glass screen can break, if hit with a rock. But the same holds for small screens as well.

I've seen about as many reports of cracked small screens, as I have seen large ones. People have been using tablets and 15"-17" laptops for years, and there is hardly an epidemic of broken screens. Use common sense and a decent cover, and you'll be fine.

And I really doubt most people carry their readers around daily, unless they have a long daily commute on a train, or something. And many commuters carry a larger bag of some sorts, anyway, suitable for a hard-cover or a larger ereader.

But, most read at home. And for regular reading at home, a large screen is hard to beat, IMO. And the K DX is getting close to the perfect size.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #87
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yes, plastic screens are a solution to the durability problem of glass. The question is, does the "problem" really exist?
http://blip.tv/play/gYxSzuc9hcEB
This is one of the demonstration videos of 1000DS. If you look at the screen shown at 4:59, it did not survive the rather short fall. I would expect such "problem" will not happen with plastic screen.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:35 PM   #88
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
http://blip.tv/play/gYxSzuc9hcEB
This is one of the demonstration videos of 1000DS. If you look at the screen shown at 4:59, it did not survive the rather short fall. I would expect such "problem" will not happen with plastic screen.
You expect electronic devices to be regularly thrown on to a hard floor? If this was something that happened frequently, there would be a lot of reports of broken screens. I honestly don't remember seeing any, either on here or over on iRex's own forums. Have you heard of many?
Old 06-18-2009, 01:36 PM   #89
soilwork
useR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Frankly, large screen breakage seems to be a non-issue.

Yes, users are generally able to figure out, that their glass screen can break, if hit with a rock. But the same holds for small screens as well.

I've seen about as many reports of cracked small screens, as I have seen large ones. People have been using tablets and 15"-17" laptops for years, and there is hardly an epidemic of broken screens. Use common sense and a decent cover, and you'll be fine.

And I really doubt most people carry their readers around daily, unless they have a long daily commute on a train, or something. And many commuters carry a larger bag of some sorts, anyway, suitable for a hard-cover or a larger ereader.

But, most read at home. And for regular reading at home, a large screen is hard to beat, IMO. And the K DX is getting close to the perfect size.

I agree that large e-ink screen with glass substrate may work fine with reasonable care. For example,
- if the case is strongly designed to prevent twisting,
- if the screen cover is strong enough,
- if users are careful not to drop something on the screen,
- if users are careful not to put odd shaped objects in the bag with the reader,
- if users use the reading device indoors or on desk,
- and so on.
If the screen is more durable, we don't need so many ifs (including common sense and decent cover) to keep the screen intact.

I am not denying that the big-screen reader is useful the way it is for most people. I am claiming it will be more useful for more people with flexible screen.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:42 PM   #90
soilwork
useR!

Quote:
You expect electronic devices to be regularly thrown on to a hard floor? If this was something that happened frequently, there would be a lot of reports of broken screens. I honestly don't remember seeing any, either on here or over on iRex's own forums. Have you heard of many?
I don't think anyone will drop the device to the floor intentionally but it can happen accidentally.

Let me ask you a question, if you can choose a device
a) that breaks when dropped to the floor by accident
b) that does not break when dropped to the floor by accident.
will you still choose a) instead of b)? If some companies are working on b), I think it will be better than a).

As I posted above, I am not denying that the big-screen reader is useful the way it is for most people. I am claiming it will be more useful for more people with flexible screen.