Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-22-2009, 11:35 PM   #1
palex481
Connoisseur
palex481 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
After having my Kindle 1 for 4 days, I am wishing I hadn't jumped the Sony ship...

The page turn buttons are awkward, I can't stand the previous page button being only on the left side. I flip to the next page, someone says something, then I forget what I'm reading and need to go back to the previous page, but its sooo annoying to hit the previous page on the Kindle!!! I had the hack for the PRS 505 and both sets of bottom buttons changed the page. It was so much nicer. And easier to hold with the page turn buttons at the bottom. I can't even hack the Kindle, which royally sucks too. With the 505 I could read easily with it in the case. The Kindle I feel is meant to be read without the case, and I don't like that.

The wireless features are kind of cool, but way way over-rated. I find myself not wanting to use them just to conserve battery. I may have a bad battery, but it lasts a long while if I don't turn on the wireless, as I suspect would be the case even if I had a good battery.

I just don't find myself using the dictionary, I don't find myself needing the keyboard, and the feature I got it for the most, the wireless, just isn't what I had thought. I may have made a major mistake. And the sad thing is, people on here told me not to do it.

The only thing I like that I would miss is the iphone sync. That is a good feature... but I just don't know if that alone is worth it or not.

I'm seriously considering putting this thing back on ebay, with the new battery I've bought that hasn't arrived yet and getting another PRS-505 or equivalent.... Why oh why did I bail on Sony... I just wasn't thinking properly.
palex481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:53 PM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Yeah, if the previous page button is that important to you, you might have investigated that first. Personally, I think you're just *used* to the Sony way, and if you give the Kindle some time you'll get used to using it the Kindle way. But if you're stuck on the Sony way then you're stuck with Sony; part of how consumer electronics locks you into a brand is you get comfortable with their interface and unwilling to try anything different.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2009, 12:15 AM   #3
palex481
Connoisseur

Yeah I definitely just wasn't thinking it through. And its not even just the previous page button. NO FOLDERS, I know everyone and their brother has said this, and I didn't think it would matter but it drives me crazy on the Kindle. I had all sorts of cool collections on the Sony: Fiction, Non-Fiction, Thrillers, Short Stories, News, Personal Documents, it was just so nice and tidy and I knew where everything was. The Kindle is just is a freaking mess when it comes to organizing things.

I was just stuck on the the, "but it has wireless" functionality of the Kindle. I was just hyping it too much in my mind and ignoring everything else.

Everyone must think I'm nuts... but I've already packed it up, and as soon as the battery gets here, back on ebay it goes. I'm buying another 505 tomorrow.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:47 AM   #4
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
You are such a troll. Go back to the Sony Forum. I command you!
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:57 AM   #5
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
You are such a troll. Go back to the Sony Forum. I command you!
Come on, admit it, you wish that YOU had a Sony !
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2009, 12:59 AM   #6
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by palex481 View Post
The page turn buttons are awkward, I can't stand the previous page button being only on the left side. I flip to the next page, someone says something, then I forget what I'm reading and need to go back to the previous page, but its sooo annoying to hit the previous page on the Kindle!!! I had the hack for the PRS 505 and both sets of bottom buttons changed the page. It was so much nicer. And easier to hold with the page turn buttons at the bottom. I can't even hack the Kindle, which royally sucks too. With the 505 I could read easily with it in the case. The Kindle I feel is meant to be read without the case, and I don't like that.

The wireless features are kind of cool, but way way over-rated. I find myself not wanting to use them just to conserve battery. I may have a bad battery, but it lasts a long while if I don't turn on the wireless, as I suspect would be the case even if I had a good battery.

I just don't find myself using the dictionary, I don't find myself needing the keyboard, and the feature I got it for the most, the wireless, just isn't what I had thought. I may have made a major mistake. And the sad thing is, people on here told me not to do it.

The only thing I like that I would miss is the iphone sync. That is a good feature... but I just don't know if that alone is worth it or not.

I'm seriously considering putting this thing back on ebay, with the new battery I've bought that hasn't arrived yet and getting another PRS-505 or equivalent.... Why oh why did I bail on Sony... I just wasn't thinking properly.
So, you are selling your Kindle because you use the previous page button enough where it went from minor inconvenience to "soooo annoying" and because you hyped a few of the features in your mind?

I don't see how wireless is way overrated. You turn it on and use it when you need to grab a book. It's a nice feature when you are out and about. There's no reason to leave it on 24/7. The dictionary is nice in the rare cases you don't know a word.

It doesn't sound like you are giving it a fair shot.

sirbruce said it best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Personally, I think you're just *used* to the Sony way, and if you give the Kindle some time you'll get used to using it the Kindle way.
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:25 AM   #7
palex481
Connoisseur

I'm not trolling. just stating my honest opinion. Wireless is just a way to burn a hole in your pocket in the amazon store. If you keep a couple hundred books on the reader like I did with my Sony it's completely unecessary.

I bet you will find several others on here who agree with my thoughts.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:48 AM   #8
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
I'm not trolling. just stating my honest opinion. Wireless is just a way to burn a hole in your pocket in the amazon store. If you keep a couple hundred books on the reader like I did with my Sony it's completely unecessary.

It seems a fair comment, although perhaps more appropriate for the Which one should I buy? section.

IMO, the Search and Dictionary functions of the Kindle (I have experience only with K2) are very valuable. Wireless may be less so, but don't forget that you can also download books from sources other than Amazon, such as mobileread.com.

The 505 has one big plus over the K2, which is the ability to read other formats, most importantly PDF.

The 700 has the best UI, it has Search and it reads PDFs. If it had better screen contrast and a dictionary, it may have been the best 6" device.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:50 AM   #9
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I think if you're looking for a better reading experience the Kindle 1 is going to disappoint.

The reason to go with the Kindle (especially the Kindle 1 over the Kindle 2) is selection. I think the Kindle 2 can definitely hold its own against any of the Sony devices, but if it wasn't for the Amazon store (and personally I think the buttons are MUCH better on the Kindle than the 505) the Sony device is probably a better consumer product.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:13 AM   #10
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I agree that the Amazon store itself (and wireless is an extension of that) is a huge part of the Kindle's appeal. But as to the product itself I find the next page buttons and so on very comfortable. The five-way control is not entirely intuitive as it could be, but I find it handy enough. Having played with Sony's in stores I don't find them to be any more ergonomic. They are very nice, though, and I can see why people like them.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:05 AM   #11
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:

There are many more uses for the wireless than the Amazon store. I have never purchased a book using my Kindle. However, when I was back home in the states for a couple months, I put the wireless to good use. I used my trial subscription to the Wall Street Journal and I was very happy with being able to grab that from anywhere. Even without the subscription, though, I could use the web browser to go the mobile sites for the WSJ and the NYT. Wikipedia is another thing I used frequently. I loved reading articles on the Kindle versus reading them on the PC. I could also use Google. If I had a question or a topic I wanted to read about, I could just pull out my Kindle. This might not be as useful if you have an unlimited data plan with an iPhone or an Android phone but for longer articles, reading on an e-ink screen is a much more pleasurable experience.

I bailed on Sony after my 500 screen broke and I couldn't be happier. Sony did not put enough features into their readers. The 700 has much of the same features as the Kindle but I don't like typing on a touchscreen and the contrast is worse on the 700 due to the type of screen they had to use. Unfortunately, the K1 contrast is a step back from the 505 but the K2 is a big step up in every respect, in my opinion. I don't know what your needs are but you should definitely give the Kindle a little more time to grow on you. Personally, I found the searching and the dictionary immediately helpful. You should wait until you come across words you don't know and see how useful you find the dictionary feature on the Kindle. After a while, other Kindle features started to grow on me. I started highlighting passages and quotes I liked so I could remember them for later. I also started liking the "location" as a way of keeping my place rather than the traditional "pages." This ensured that no matter what font or device I was using, I would still be able to go right to the point in the book I wanted to be.

Give it some time and see if it grows on you. If not, you can always sell it on Ebay and get another Sony. The only advantage in having a Sony, I think, is the multiple formats it can read. However, given the fact that I strip DRM off all my ebooks, this doesn't matter much to me. ePub and lit books are very easy to convert to mobi. Reflowing PDFs is usually not a problem for me, either. Access to the Kindle store is much more valuable to me than being able to natively read several formats. Give it a some more time.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:20 AM   #12
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Thanks for your perspective-- interesting to read.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:35 AM   #13
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Palex, please proceed with the sale of your kindle. I have had enough whining and negativity on this forum. Most of us know the plusses and minuses of our devices.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:47 AM   #14
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I sort of felt the same way when I first started using the Kindle... in all reality is I had to get used to the Kindle. it is the same thing... just different. I got the Kindle because I liked it, and I can share books with my sister since our Kindles are on the same account. For me it is a toss up between the Kindle and the Sony...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:06 AM   #15
palex481
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_hand View Post
Palex, please proceed with the sale of your kindle. I have had enough whining and negativity on this forum. Most of us know the plusses and minuses of our devices.
Sorry some of you see this as whining negativity. I do not see it that way. I just am discussing things from my perspective on a discussion forum. Yes these points have been discussed before, so if you don't want to read this thread, then don't.

The reason I posted this is because I really wanted to like the Kindle, I really did. I used it all day Saturday and a lot of Sunday reading for hours and hours, but I just never found it to be as comfortable to hold as my Sony. I like being able to go forward and back with my right hand with the Sony. I just don't feel like it will ever be the same.

The main thing I like about the Kindle is the font, but I've learned you can hack that on the Sony to match that pretty much. And I'm near a computer with internet 90% of the time, so wireless isn't as big as I thought. If you are a traveler, then yeah its great.

I'm not attacking people who chose the Kindle, so there is no need to get defensive. I was just expressing my personal viewpoints and I may have gotten carried away because of how much I truly truly had wanted to switch to the Kindle for the longest time, but I am just majorly disappointed at the moment.