Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-14-2016, 04:43 AM   #61
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
[edit2] I retract the following statement. Sweetpea did indeed say it before me.
I blame the search engine - I searched for "glove" and didn't get a result. Searching for "gloves" on the other hand finds results...

No one said it yet?

Gloves.

Hold the screen anywhere and nothing happens. Press the button and the page turns.

[edit]Unless it's an IR or responsive screen, of course.

Last edited by Cyberman tM; 09-14-2016 at 06:20 AM.
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:10 AM   #62
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman tM View Post
No one said it yet?

Gloves.

Hold the screen anywhere and nothing happens. Press the button and the page turns.

[edit]Unless it's an IR or responsive screen, of course.
I did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
<snip>
Except when I'm reading in something called winter (though, the indications are that we won't get that anymore...) when you don't want to take your hands out of your gloves... IR would work then too, but I'd still prefer buttons in those cases.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2016, 06:52 AM   #63
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Buttons keep my shirt closed....

I like buttons from the perspective of when pressing I know i have pressed it. With touchscreens you do not get any tactile feedback.

That said, on an ereader it makes little difference buttons or touch, but on devices where you are typing (ie smart phone with sms) it makes it (for me at least) very difficult.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:17 PM   #64
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So if the page forward button breaks or wears out, what would you do then?
Quit buying cheap knock-offs

Modern buttons easily last over 100K clicks
My PEz (2011) buttons and rocker (mainly use for page turns) are fine
I can't say so for the markings. My acid skin kills those fast,
The transit cover is crumbling where my hands rest

The Battery is failing fast and while it is 'user replaceable', no one (google search) has fresh stock for a Hanlin V5.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:24 AM   #65
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Quit buying cheap knock-offs

Modern buttons easily last over 100K clicks
My PEz (2011) buttons and rocker (mainly use for page turns) are fine
I can't say so for the markings. My acid skin kills those fast,
The transit cover is crumbling where my hands rest

The Battery is failing fast and while it is 'user replaceable', no one (google search) has fresh stock for a Hanlin V5.
I've the same problem with my BeBook Mini... The buttons still work perfectly, but the battery is really dieing...
Advert
Old 09-20-2016, 06:52 AM   #66
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
No batteries for Hanlins? Bummer.
The Hanlins used standard Nokia phone batteries...
I gave mine away a few years back but I did get a replacement battery at the time. They were cheap.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:15 AM   #67
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I gave mine away a few years back but I did get a replacement battery at the time. They were cheap.
The 6" version did, the 5" version had some proprietary battery.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:03 AM   #68
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The V6 did
But the local Frys does not even carry a batteries for stuff much over 3YO
(I don't even see ones for my Motorola devices)

The V5 uses a battery with a lead. Astak got out of the reader game when the Price wars did away with the $200+ price for no frills Eink devices
Old 09-22-2016, 05:23 PM   #69
Jeremy_Loweryp
Jeremy_Loweryp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeremy_Loweryp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeremy_Loweryp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeremy_Loweryp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeremy_Loweryp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeremy_Loweryp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeremy_Loweryp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeremy_Loweryp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeremy_Loweryp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeremy_Loweryp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeremy_Loweryp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: lg
My opinion has always been that the more gadgets in your car the more things there are that can break.
Jeremy_Loweryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:27 AM   #70
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_Loweryp View Post
My opinion has always been that the more gadgets in your car the more things there are that can break.
And yet cars are far more reliable than 20 years ago

Unless you have an Alfa, of course, and the electrics stop working because of rain or Tuesday.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:41 AM   #71
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
And yet cars are far more reliable than 20 years ago

Unless you have an Alfa, of course, and the electrics stop working because of rain or Tuesday.
Standard feature with Lucas Electric parts.
I went through 2 Dynamos on my Sprite before I put in (a bigger, used) one from a 3000

That is how to learn Auto repair. Rebuild the SU's, keep the lamps on and repair the gearbox. It was worth it as the car handled fantastic.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:01 AM   #72
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Standard feature with Lucas Electric parts.
I went through 2 Dynamos on my Sprite before I put in (a bigger, used) one from a 3000

That is how to learn Auto repair. Rebuild the SU's, keep the lamps on and repair the gearbox. It was worth it as the car handled fantastic.
I've still got the balancer for SU carbs. I had a Spitfire.

I've also got the feeler gauge for the points which used to close for no reason.

Speaking of buttons - I had to replace the body. Instead of doing the usual wiring to the actual switches, we toggled everything to the dashboard.
Car inspections said you have to have things working, they didn't say how in those days.

I miss the car.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:24 AM   #73
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
I have yet to have a button fail on any of my readers (and I now have a drawer full of them.)

And in my case, the ultimate reason for have buttons...

Holding my T3 in my left hand, turning pages with my thumb on the buttons while I eat nachos with my right!

Can't do that without buttons!
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:48 AM   #74
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Spoiler:
You're allowed to, as you're a woman (AFAIK), but I'm not
See, guys and dolls, this is where the old paperbook came handy. One took a hardback and replaced the dustjacket with some dull classics jacket, so no one was the wiser.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:27 AM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbles View Post
I have yet to have a button fail on any of my readers (and I now have a drawer full of them.)

And in my case, the ultimate reason for have buttons...

Holding my T3 in my left hand, turning pages with my thumb on the buttons while I eat nachos with my right!

Can't do that without buttons!
Sure you can. Just hold the T3 slightly higher up and use your left thumb to swipe the screen. I used to do that with my T1.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote