Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-08-2014, 05:10 AM   #1
simonzed
simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle & Android
DOCX to epub (and eventually mobi) and cross-references

I have quite a big document that I want to make available to my guests. It's currently a DOCX file though I have it in pdf too:

http://www.patrignone.com/images/Sim...oneBigBook.pdf

The document has lots of internal links (internal cross-references) to help users jump about to the relevant sections without having to go through the TOC. But converting from DOCX to epub doesn't seem to preserve these links.

Am I doing something dumb?

Last edited by simonzed; 05-08-2014 at 05:10 AM. Reason: clarity
simonzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:40 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@simonzed : Would probably be useful if you could post the DOCX (or relevant fragment thereof) - you'll have to put it in a zip as the board doesn't allow for DOCX attachments.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2014, 06:04 AM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
PDF's don't convert well in Calibre. What you might have to do is convert it back to text and put it back together as an epub file (putting any illustrations in as you go along) via something like Sigil. Then you can load your epub into Calibre and convert it to Mobi.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:53 AM   #4
simonzed
simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@simonzed : Would probably be useful if you could post the DOCX (or relevant fragment thereof) - you'll have to put it in a zip as the board doesn't allow for DOCX attachments.

BR
Done...the original DOCX is in the rar file attached. Thanks for the help!
Attached Files
File Type: rar The Patrignone Big Book 2014.rar (2.08 MB, 166 views)
Old 05-08-2014, 08:51 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonzed View Post
Done...the original DOCX is in the rar file attached. Thanks for the help!
@simonzed - Hmmm, I'm not familiar with doing internal links as you've done them... via fields. I've only ever done them via bookmarks, and they've always worked. Truth is, I never clicked on Insert->Cross-reference until 5 minutes ago - I assume that's what you used in Word.

Probably best to wait for Kovid Goyal to take a look.

Sorry I couldn't be of further help

BR
Advert
Old 05-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #6
simonzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@simonzed - Hmmm, I'm not familiar with doing internal links as you've done them... via fields. I've only ever done them via bookmarks, and they've always worked. Truth is, I never clicked on Insert->Cross-reference until 5 minutes ago - I assume that's what you used in Word.

Probably best to wait for Kovid Goyal to take a look.

Sorry I couldn't be of further help

BR
Hi there, yes, that's exactly what I did. Used the flippin things for years as they're quite useful and survive the transfer to pdf quite well. Desperately hoping they can also survive the jump to epub/mobi too as I think my guests would love it.

Thank you for trying!
Old 05-08-2014, 10:50 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'll take a look when I have a few minutes. In the meantime, can you post where exactly some of these non-converted links are, as looking at the attachment it looks to be a very large file and I dont want to have to go hunting through it.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...e036bc26ba1d8a
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:06 PM   #9
simonzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'll take a look when I have a few minutes. In the meantime, can you post where exactly some of these non-converted links are, as looking at the attachment it looks to be a very large file and I dont want to have to go hunting through it.
Sure. Top of pg 12 (actual) [pg 9 cosmetic] there's the paragraph "Day trips" with a link "Maps" at the bottom. And when you go to "Maps" there's a similar x-ref to "Day Trips"

[As an aside, can I say thank you for this brilliant product. I hope it pays the bills, you certainly deserve it.]
Old 05-08-2014, 01:07 PM   #10
simonzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Way over my head I'm afraid...am i supposed to do anything with this code?
Old 05-08-2014, 01:14 PM   #11
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Way over my head I'm afraid...am i supposed to do anything with this code?
That is Kovid's way of saying he has committee a change to the source. If you run Calibre from source then you can take advantage of the change immediately. if not then it will be in the next release, which is typically made every Friday (i.e. tomorrow in this case).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:16 PM   #12
simonzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
That is Kovid's way of saying he has committee a change to the source. If you run Calibre from source then you can take advantage of the change immediately. if not then it will be in the next release, which is typically made every Friday (i.e. tomorrow in this case).
Really? That quick? Are you kidding?! Unbelievable...

I'm not a source-code kind of person, I'm afraid, but I'll test the new build when ready...can't wait!
Old 05-08-2014, 05:16 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Hi there, yes, that's exactly what I did. Used the flippin things for years as they're quite useful and survive the transfer to pdf quite well. Desperately hoping they can also survive the jump to epub/mobi too as I think my guests would love it.

Thank you for trying!
When the be-ribboned Word 2007 came amongst us, I conflated insert->cross-reference with references->citations, and I'm afraid that's where its stayed ever since. Don't misinterpret that as me saying I don't like ribbons, within a week I 'got them'.

I think the new version should reach you about 10am today, I get an RSS notify from this page http://calibre-ebook.com/whats-new, it usually rings the bell in the early evening, my time.

Quote:
Really? That quick? Are you kidding?! Unbelievable...

I'll test the new build when ready...can't wait!
Me too - thanks for bringing Words 'cross-reference' to my attention.

BTW Kovid's response was true to form, but that doesn't make it any less amazing!

BR

Added - its there already, and its not even 3pm, the cross-reference links work a treat - see release notes for one caveat relating to page and paragraph numbers.

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-09-2014 at 12:58 AM. Reason: see added
Old 05-09-2014, 02:41 AM   #14
simonzed

If only all applications were supported like this...downloading now...

Genius. This is going to make it a synch to produce highly 'interactive' documents, and I for one will make full use of this, as will my guests.

Kovid, I showed my wife the new book and she was amazed, more at how quickly you updated Calibre than my book, I think. She told me to offer you a big discount next time you come to Tuscany. And she's in charge.

It's so nice to deal with a great product and a bunch of enthusiastic people for a change. It made my day, and honestly, I think this feature is going to be of great use to our guests.

Thank you all, but esp Kovid. Excellent work.

Last edited by simonzed; 05-09-2014 at 02:59 PM. Reason: update