Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #1
aliettedb
aliettedb is a glorious beacon of lightaliettedb is a glorious beacon of lightaliettedb is a glorious beacon of lightaliettedb is a glorious beacon of lightaliettedb is a glorious beacon of lightaliettedb is a glorious beacon of lightaliettedb is a glorious beacon of lightaliettedb is a glorious beacon of lightaliettedb is a glorious beacon of lightaliettedb is a glorious beacon of lightaliettedb is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo
MicroSD issues with glo

I've owned a Glo for about a year now, and I've started having odd problems with the microSD I use to store my books. Whenever I turn the Glo on, it gives me a "Can't recognize your SD card. Format to FAT32 & try again."
It then is able to read the contents of the SD--sort of: it takes ages and the Kobo freezes whenever I try to navigate more than a page at a time in a book, and sometimes it misses half the catalog (I have about 1000 books on it)
That's in spite of the SD card being formatted properly to FAT32 (I checked, it's not the SD contents--I reformatted it to empty FAT32 and I still get the same error message). I've tried resetting the Kobo to factory settings, updating to the latest firmware, but neither has worked.
Has anyone had this issue before? I'm inclined to think it's a Kobo issue (as opposed to an SD one), possibly with the microSD port itself, but I could be wrong...

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by aliettedb; 12-21-2013 at 09:29 AM.
aliettedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Try formatting with SD Association formatting tool at this link in full overwrite mode. I also give the card a simple name easy to see what drive/card I am later selecting.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
KJB
KJB began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Clara HD
Same issue here (sometimes) when I restart my Glo, but without the freezing problems. Ignoring the warning (press OK) gives me a freely accesible SD-card without reading problems. The warning doesn't occur every time I restart, which gives me the idea that it's some problem with processing speed and that the Glo sometimes is too fast for its own steps (excuse my bad english).
However: as I use a sleepcover I hardly ever restart my Glo, only when installing new firmware or one of the nice extras I find on this forum!
KJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliettedb View Post
I've owned a Glo for about a year now, and I've started having odd problems with the microSD I use to store my books. Whenever I turn the Glo on, it gives me a "Can't recognize your SD card. Format to FAT32 & try again."
It then is able to read the contents of the SD--sort of: it takes ages and the Kobo freezes whenever I try to navigate more than a page at a time in a book, and sometimes it misses half the catalog (I have about 1000 books on it)
That's in spite of the SD card being formatted properly to FAT32 (I checked, it's not the SD contents--I reformatted it to empty FAT32 and I still get the same error message). I've tried resetting the Kobo to factory settings, updating to the latest firmware, but neither has worked.
Has anyone had this issue before? I'm inclined to think it's a Kobo issue (as opposed to an SD one), possibly with the microSD port itself, but I could be wrong...

Thanks in advance!
This seems to be a common theme introduced a few firmwares ago. The result is I only place my Aura Hd in sleep mode. My Fathers touch has the same issue and is placed in sleep mode as well. Formating it will usually result in nothing changing. If you do format before you do try the card in a card reader and see if you have the same issue. There are however some known issues with cheap cards, the best results can be achieved by sticking to the native sandisk micro sd cards that Kobo has adopted as memory on the main board either as removable memory or soldered to the board memory.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As the others have said, recent firmware are putting up the "format as FAT32" message more often. I have always seen it and took it as a sign that I hadn't inserted the card cleanly. But, it happens more often than not now, and I just ignore it. But, it sounds like something else is going on.

From your symptoms, I wonder if the card is faulty. The error when reading a book sounds like it is not able to read the book properly. Is the error happening when you navigate to a new chapter? A new chapter is usually a separate file inside the epub and is likely to cause a read from the card.

The same goes for with missing books. If there is a problem reading from the card, then it might not find all the books.

I don't know how to test a micro SD card. There are probably tools to do it available on the web. But, do you have another card you can try? If it works, then it probably is a problem with the current card.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2013, 06:01 AM   #6
aliettedb
aliettedb is a glorious beacon of lightaliettedb is a glorious beacon of lightaliettedb is a glorious beacon of lightaliettedb is a glorious beacon of lightaliettedb is a glorious beacon of lightaliettedb is a glorious beacon of lightaliettedb is a glorious beacon of lightaliettedb is a glorious beacon of lightaliettedb is a glorious beacon of lightaliettedb is a glorious beacon of lightaliettedb is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo
Thanks everyone! The card itself doesn't seem to be at fault (I've tried a number of readers and nothing changed).
In the end, doing another reset to factory settings and a complete formatting of the card as suggested by filmo seems to have worked. Thanks!
aliettedb is offline   Reply With Quote