Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit
Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, ADE
Font embedding frustration

Hi folks... I'm having a problem that seems to be plaguing many others here -- trying to get fonts to embed -- and I've scoured tons of messages in here and tried to do everything right, but so far all I seem to have been able to manage to do is to get headings to show up in the specified font, not the main text.

What I'm trying to do is replicate this PDF, which is done up entirely in freeware fonts...

http://www.imaginary-friend.ca/pdf/E...rie_Frende.pdf

...(about 1.4 megs in size).

So far, just to try to get a simple test page to work as an epub, I've only done up the short "Prologus" page (without any graphics) -- if I could just get that working, then surely I'd get the rest working (and be able to toss in graphics, too, of course).

Interestingly, when working on it in Sigil, in the preview pane it shows up perfectly! But when I send it over to my ipad, only the heading comes out in the specified font -- and the rest is all just gobbledygook.

I'll attach my test file here, too -- oh, the fonts here are TTF, but I read somewhere that you should use OTF. However, I've tried that (by converting the fonts, etc.) but that doesn't work either.

Any ideas what on earth I might be doing wrong -- or am I trying to do something that's just not workable?

Thanks SO much in advance!

Ron
Attached Files
File Type: epub epistyll-ttf.epub (312.5 KB, 141 views)
Psymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
IIRC there are additional steps (a special file?) that are Apple specific to use embedded fonts

Nothing jumped out at me.

Weird: I opened the file with the Calibre Viewer I see the black-letter.

I open in Sigil 7.3 (on XP), I see a Sans face

I tried to validate the CSS to CSS 2.1

lots of not supported in 2.1 which may drive other devices off the deep end .
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
There are a number of things:
1. Your stylesheet needs attention. There are some things which I doubt are supported and check all your references. They are usually case sensitive.
2. The 'apple' file (com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml) is not present in the ePUB. That is required for iBooks to honor the embedded fonts
3. There are a lot of strange characters, but they might be part of the font.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit
Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
There are a number of things:
2. The 'apple' file (com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml) is not present in the ePUB. That is required for iBooks to honor the embedded fonts
Oh, interesting. After going through sooooooo many threads on here (and elsewhere on the 'net) about embedding fonts in epubs, this is the first I've heard of that!

I've just searched a little bit around, but can't seem to figure out what that file is, what it's supposed to do, or what I'm supposed to do with it. I did see on one site that apparently Sigil won't let you add one in, though!

Perchance would you be able to direct me to a link that gives GOOD instructions on what I should be doing here (and how I can implement it in conjunction with using Sigil as my epub editor)?

Thanks so much -- I have a feeling that this is, surely, the main reason for the problems I'm having here.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psymon View Post
Oh, interesting. After going through sooooooo many threads on here (and elsewhere on the 'net) about embedding fonts in epubs, this is the first I've heard of that!
Probably because you were assuming iBooks would read ePubs normally... Alas, that's not the case. It has a number of idiosyncrasies that mean that, in order to have a file that work as intended in iBooks, you'll probably need to make it non-compliant with the ePub spec.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ron
Apple rules are not EPUB, they are an extension at best

which is why searching for a EPUB solution might come up short

What is the native language of this document? Toxaris noted the discrepancy which I had attributed to a nonsense sample (like Lorumipsum).

You may have other problems (like unsupported characters)
Old 10-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit

NEVER MIND! I found the instructions -- and then followed them -- and that worked! I'll still have to look at my CSS file for whatever "weirdness" is apparently going on in there, but indeed it was that missing com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml file that was the issue.

I just added that in... and eureka! It's lookin' good! Some minor bugs (my "ye" is coming out with a space, i.e. "y e", for example), but hopefully I'll be able to figure those out.

THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH!!! ))
Old 10-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Ron
What is the native language of this document? Toxaris noted the discrepancy which I had attributed to a nonsense sample (like Lorumipsum).
Believe it or not, but it's English! But not modern English -- it's late Middle English.

Here, if only for reference, I'll attach my "successful" epub that I just made (although I still have some issues to work out, but at least it's showing up in the correct font).

If you compare this epub with the original PDF that I'm creating it from (specifically the "Prologus" page)...

http://www.imaginary-friend.ca/pdf/E...rie_Frende.pdf

...(and which I wrote/created myself, too, of course) you'll see that it's now coming out like it's supposed to (minor bugs notwithstanding).

I'm sooooo happy! ))
Old 10-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #9
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit

Quote:
What is the native language of this document?
Oops! I forgot to include my "successful" epub in my last reply to you (a few moments ago) -- here it is (attached)
Attached Files
File Type: epub epistyll-ttf.epub (308.8 KB, 135 views)
Old 10-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Do I assume the EPUB was created in some word processor?
You mentioned the space in Y E
Code:
<p class="olde">Doy¥ y e kno whot I woold lykke to do? I woold lykke to iu¥ ƒett whythe y e in a roome ƒwmwher and ¬ar in a qwiett moment of yow r tyme —</p>
The odd characters and spacing may be from the attempt at styling in the Source.

You might try running the source through a Calibre conversion, them tune that up
Old 10-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit

Quote:
Do I assume the EPUB was created in some word processor?
<snip>
The odd characters and spacing may be from the attempt at styling in the Source.
Yeah, that original PDF was created in WordPerfect, and then to create this tentative epub (of just that "Prologus" chapter) I just copied/pasted the text straight from there -- I'm not sure why there was a space in that "ye"! Technically, there shouldn't be, of course -- I can't remember, but if it's not an accident, perhaps there was some reason I did it that way (maybe related to bad kerning in the font or something).

In any case, I'll definitely have to go over EVERY single word and see if it's turning out okay in this, it's not something I can just run a simple spellcheck on -- but thankfully it's not a million pages long, at least!

I'm so happy and thrilled that it does look like this just might all work out -- perhaps beyond my wildest expectations, in fact.

Again, thanks SO much for your help in this! I definitely still have my work cut out for me, though (even as relatively short a piece as it is), but I'm just soooo filled with enthusiasm now! Woohoo!
Old 10-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #12
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit

Quote:
You mentioned the space in Y E
Ah, I know why the space was getting inserted in "ye" -- it's because the "e" was set in superscript in the original WP/PDF version, that's what inadvertently caused that. EASY to fix!
Old 10-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psymon View Post
Ah, I know why the space was getting inserted in "ye" -- it's because the "e" was set in superscript in the original WP/PDF version, that's what inadvertently caused that. EASY to fix!
for figuring out.

WP
Have you tried opening the Wordperfect file in Open/Libre Office?
Writer2EPUB might speed things up
Old 10-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #14
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
If you use Sigil's spellcheck it will allow you to correct multiple identical errors at one time.
Also in tools, tell it to check CSS to try to clear up any problems there.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #15
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit

Quote:
for figuring out.
Have you tried opening the Wordperfect file in Open/Libre Office?
Writer2EPUB might speed things up
Maybe, but I've got sooooooo much software installed on my computer already, the last thing I need is another BIG word processing program -- I think I'll just stick with poring over this code with a fine tooth comb manually. As I said, thankfully it's not really all that long! And thankfully there's search & replace, too, of course (as was mentioned/suggested elsewhere).