Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 01-21-2014, 05:46 AM   #871
SBT
Fanatic
SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1, tablet, Nook Simple, assorted kindles, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
May I make a plea for all these wonderful books to also be in an lrf format for those of us, like me, who still have an old Sony (prs 505) as their main/only reader. This reader still functions well, I can't find a better one, so don't want to replace it. PLEASE keep formatting for old Sony's. Thanks.
I stopped uploading books in other formats than epub some time ago. My reasoning was that it was better for non-epub readers to do their own conversion, possibly with some tweaks, instead of me just shoving the book through Calibre with default parameters and uploading it, warts and all. I'm afraid I'm too lazy to tweak a book for more than one format.
SBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:50 AM   #872
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
LRF is a totally obsolete format. I've now stopped creating books in that format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2014, 05:54 AM   #873
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Calibre ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:34 PM   #874
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I thought the 505 could read ePub as well. Is this not the case?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #875
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
The 505 turns the epub into a thin column of text down the middle of the screen when zoomed to medium or large font. This makes it very awkward to read. Also, the great formatting which the uploader has done is lost.

Calibre makes a mediocre job of the conversion. This may be because I find Calibre a bit techie to use and am not very good at it. Lrf is only obsolete when no one uses it; some of us still do. I would upgrade the reader if there was a better, dedicated reader to update to, but I just don't like any of the current ones as much as the 505.

Maybe you could hold a poll about whether members still want/use this format? For the moment, I'd be grateful if you'd still upload books in it. Manybooks still has it, but the books from there are not illustrated or formatted as nicely as they are on MB. Thanks.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2014, 09:13 PM   #876
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I've noticed that between epub and kindle more people seem to download the epub version of any book I have uploaded as well. While I don't think Kindle is obsolete I do notice that epub seems to be the more popular format between the two.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:33 PM   #877
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I've noticed that between epub and kindle more people seem to download the epub version of any book I have uploaded as well. While I don't think Kindle is obsolete I do notice that epub seems to be the more popular format between the two.
I would agree from the few books I was able to post. I think the Kindle folks seem to be more willing to buy new books than read public domain books while the ePub crowd is represented by a lot more variety of products a less dominant suppler of eBooks.

I don't know why the 505 has such wide margins but I would hope there was a way to set them up better. I have heard of some folks that were successful in using the Sony 505 with ePub.

Dale
Old 01-22-2014, 03:06 AM   #878
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
While I don't think Kindle is obsolete...
Given Amazon's complete domination of the ebook market, to regard the Kindle as "obsolete" would seem to be a little odd .
Old 01-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #879
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW2, Moon Pro on Lenovo tablet
I only have a Kindle, but I usually go for the epub version of any PD book, then convert in Calibre (in my opinion Calibre usually handles the conversion very nicely), because that way I have both epub and mobi in the Calibre library - after all, one day I may have a different reader.

I understand that I could download both versions, and get a hand-crafted mobi version with all the bells and whistles, but the way the mobileread website is laid out makes that slightly more trouble than just downloading one version and converting it.
Araucaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:42 PM   #880
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araucaria View Post
I only have a Kindle, but I usually go for the epub version of any PD book, then convert in Calibre (in my opinion Calibre usually handles the conversion very nicely), because that way I have both epub and mobi in the Calibre library - after all, one day I may have a different reader.

I understand that I could download both versions, and get a hand-crafted mobi version with all the bells and whistles, but the way the mobileread website is laid out makes that slightly more trouble than just downloading one version and converting it.
Actually these days I believe most or an least many of the mobi's are converted using KindleGen to create the upload. KindleGen creates both a KF8 and a KF7 copy within the save file. Some may be Calibre conversions but the only compiler to build mobi anymore is KindleGen (or the same code inside of Kindle previewer). I some cases it may include some special mobi only CSS but the sources these days are nearly ePub anyway.

Dale
Old 01-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #881
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Personally I start off with the Mobi version, created with KindleGen, then use Calibre to convert that to ePub.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:15 PM   #882
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If the wonderful MB formatters making these great illustrated books won't upload them in lrf anymore, have you any suggestions for putting said books onto my old Sony 505? Or should I ask in the Sony part of the forum?
Old 02-04-2014, 12:35 PM   #883
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Just uploaded a thoroughly proofed and revised version of "Persuasion" by Jane Austen. This completes my work on her six major novels.

On now to something a bit more light-hearted: the "Philo Vance" detective stories of S.S. Van Dine.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:41 PM   #884
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
If the wonderful MB formatters making these great illustrated books won't upload them in lrf anymore, have you any suggestions for putting said books onto my old Sony 505? Or should I ask in the Sony part of the forum?
Calibre still converts to lrf and chances are this would be what you would get anyway if they were posted.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:50 PM   #885
BookCat
C L J

I've tried to convert epub to lrf using Calibre, with varying success. Could some nice techie please tell me how it's done properly. One problem I have with Calibre is font size; it often comes out too large or too small. I've never managed to get the settings correct.
Another reason I don't like epub is that I prefer justified margins. The right margin is always jagged on an epub.