Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-20-2016, 02:33 PM   #1336
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Hopefully it's temporary, or I'm doing something wrong, or whatever, but none of my Windows apps will sync new books today. NOOK Study stopped working for me a few weeks ago, but today NOOK for PC and NOOK for Windows stopped working as well. They go through the motions of syncing ("Connecting", "Authorizing", "Sync Complete"), but new books don't show up. I tried reinstalling, but now I have an empty library. The NOOK app for Windows does the same thing. The NOOK app for Android still works and I was able to retrieve my new books that way, but the device needs to be rooted for that to work.

I haven't spent any time figuring out what's wrong yet, but I figured I'd shout a heads-up in the meantime.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:21 PM   #1337
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
Hopefully it's temporary, or I'm doing something wrong, or whatever, but none of my Windows apps will sync new books today. NOOK Study stopped working for me a few weeks ago, but today NOOK for PC and NOOK for Windows stopped working as well. They go through the motions of syncing ("Connecting", "Authorizing", "Sync Complete"), but new books don't show up. I tried reinstalling, but now I have an empty library. The NOOK app for Windows does the same thing. The NOOK app for Android still works and I was able to retrieve my new books that way, but the device needs to be rooted for that to work.

I haven't spent any time figuring out what's wrong yet, but I figured I'd shout a heads-up in the meantime.
It might be time to use a Android Virtual Machine on your P.C.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:55 PM   #1338
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I just bought a free ebook from B&N and had no problem getting Nook for PC to download it.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:49 PM   #1339
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
I just bought a free ebook from B&N and had no problem getting Nook for PC to download it.
I just checked and it's working for me again now, too. Hooray for temporary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Neat thought. I tried installing the NOOK app in an x86 Android VM and it worked, allowing me to retrieve books.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:12 PM   #1340
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:

bernie
Quote:
Neat thought. I tried installing the NOOK app in an x86 Android VM and it worked, allowing me to retrieve books.
Retrieved as in calibre and the "Tools"?

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:26 AM   #1341
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I have an old version of Nook for Android that I'm not updating. It stores files in accessible location, where they can be copied to Dropbox and accessed on my computer.

Of course, these days I only have my Asimov's and Analog subscriptions to worry about, but I do have a couple of bucks of settlement money waiting for me there.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:42 AM   #1342
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I have an old version of Nook for Android that I'm not updating. It stores files in accessible location, where they can be copied to Dropbox and accessed on my computer.

Of course, these days I only have my Asimov's and Analog subscriptions to worry about, but I do have a couple of bucks of settlement money waiting for me there.
I was going to use some of my settlement to buy 1636: The Chronicles of Dr. Gribbleflotz, but Kobo had a 90% coupon. I got it for $0.90 and it is my current read.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 04:56 PM   #1343
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba

Quote:
Retrieved as in calibre and the "Tools"?
Yes. I used VirtualBox with one of the images from android-x86.org. It's built from CyanogenMod, so root is accessible out of the box. You could do the same thing with the emulator included in the Android SDK, but even the x86 image is slow without rather beefy hardware.

The books are stored in "/data/data/bn.ereader/files/B&N Downloads/Books" and the DRM key is in one of the sqlite3 database files. I'll note that my Android key is now different than my NOOK for PC key, which wasn't the case the last time I imported books from Android.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I'd forgotten about that and didn't realize it still worked. Anyone with a version older than 4 doesn't need root.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:43 AM   #1344
cromag
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I was going to use some of my settlement to buy 1636: The Chronicles of Dr. Gribbleflotz, but Kobo had a 90% coupon. I got it for $0.90 and it is my current read.
Apache
I'm thinking about using mine for a couple of issues of Ellery Queen or Alfred Hitchcock mystery magazines. They're already DRM-free (at least, they have been in the past) so I'll just have to Dropbox them into Calibre on my computer.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:45 AM   #1345
cromag

Quote:
I'd forgotten about that and didn't realize it still worked. Anyone with a version older than 4 doesn't need root.
If/when it stops working, I'm out.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:16 PM   #1346
javabird
Enthusiast
javabird began at the beginning.

Device: Clie T615C
Nook Study appears to be broken on MacOS Sierra now.
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:27 PM   #1347
SilenceIsGolden
SilenceIsGolden began at the beginning.

Device: Cool Reader on Android
Question Can't log into NookStudy on new install

I hadn't bothered with B&N for a while but found a bunch of older books by one of my favorite authors that are sold ONLY at B&N.

Found a site to download NookStudy again (was silly, should've left it on my PC / Win7), but it just spins and spins, claiming to sign me in, but then never lets me in, just shows the login-form again after a while.

It seems to recognize my login-credentials because when I try a previously used pw, it right away tells me to double-check the entered data.

Anyone have an idea what else I could try? I don't have an iDevice and my Android one isn't rooted.

UPDATE
Sorry, should've tested first - now downloaded an old copy of Nook for PC and THAT ONE still works! Yay!! Downloaded my test books (that were still in my account), liberated it with Calibre and am off to read it now.

Last edited by SilenceIsGolden; 04-30-2018 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Found solution!
SilenceIsGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:19 PM   #1348
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilenceIsGolden View Post
Anyone have an idea what else I could try? I don't have an iDevice and my Android one isn't rooted.
If you're running Windows 10 (couldn't figure out if the Win7 mentioned was an old PC) the Nook for PC app in the Microsoft store works fine. Finding the buried folder where your downloaded books takes some work though. But I've had no problem downloading books and removing DRM from them.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:34 PM   #1349
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I made the mistake of logging out of Nook Study last year sometime and it never would let me log back in.

Just tried it now and it did load and I was still somehow signed in to it.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:30 PM   #1350
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Stallman was right...

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote