Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #61
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kobo Glo, GloHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by angor00 View Post
I need the archive of "recoveryfs" partition from Glo to make the SD image.
I don't know how to archive or restore it.

Here is a card image with that partition in it.
embryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #62
plivesey
plivesey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
The image looks like working. Try to make a card from that image here.
This image is fine as far as I can tell, as was the previous one I was using.

The problem I think is getting it to boot from the external card. Isn't turning it on with the home button pressed down one of the ways to start a factory reset?
plivesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:47 AM   #63
angor00
Enthusiast
angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by plivesey View Post
Isn't turning it on with the home button pressed down one of the ways to start a factory reset?
Yes, but if you cannot do the factory reset as usual by holding HOME while the device is turning on then it means the dualboot was installed properly. Try don't release the POWER button but hold it during about 2 seconds when turn the device on.
angor00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:47 AM   #64
plivesey

Depending upon timings I either get a permanent red light or a permanent green one, but in both cases it gives no indication of booting. You're right that I can't do a reset in this manner any more.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:31 AM   #65
angor00
Enthusiast
angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Depending upon timings I either get a permanent red light or a permanent green one, but in both cases it gives no indication of booting. You're right that I can't do a reset in this manner any more.
It looks like you have an early version Kobo Touch. Maybe the kernel from MarekGibek's image (Touch N905C) isn't working on your hardware.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:13 PM   #66
plivesey

Quote:
It looks like you have an early version Kobo Touch. Maybe the kernel from MarekGibek's image (Touch N905C) isn't working on your hardware.
It's an N905B, even though I bought it new last week (it was very cheap).

I'll try direct booting Android from the internal card and see how that goes. Thanks for all your help though.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:25 PM   #67
angor00
Enthusiast

Quote:
It's an N905B, even though I bought it new last week (it was very cheap).

I'll try direct booting Android from the internal card and see how that goes. Thanks for all your help though.
I think direct booting won't work properly on your device too. Look at this post and posts from jkgeyti in that thread.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:43 PM   #68
plivesey

Quote:
I think direct booting won't work properly on your device too. Look at this post and posts from jkgeyti in that thread.
Using Marek's image for the Touch, direct booting works fine, but touch isn't working in Android, making things rather unusable!

I still can't get it to boot from external though.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:22 PM   #69
angor00
Enthusiast

Try to use this image for creating SD. If it doesn't help then unpack this archive into "Android System" partition of SD card created from Marek's image. You will need Linux for the latter.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:00 AM   #70
schwabelbauch
schwabelbauch began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Is there a chance to install android on the Kobo Aura?
schwabelbauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:45 AM   #71
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwabelbauch View Post
Is there a chance to install android on the Kobo Aura?
Aura (6") does not have an internal sd card.
You can not write the android image file to the internal memory, and if you do, the chances are you're gonna brick it.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:24 PM   #72
angor00
Enthusiast

But booting from external SD on Aura is the same as on Glo, Touch or Aura HD. It gives a chance to debug the kernel without a fear to brick the device.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:06 PM   #73
embryo
Fanatic

Quote:
But booting from external SD on Aura is the same as on Glo, Touch or Aura HD. It gives a chance to debug the kernel without a fear to brick the device.
I agree but ...
the problem is that to boot from external SD, you have to patch the internal system, but wait!!
... you're right.
If something goes wrong you just "factory reset" (if you have the right extSD image)

I'm so used to fix everything by writing images on SD cards that I forget about it ...

So it is possible after all!
Old 02-12-2014, 07:04 PM   #74
plivesey

Quote:
Try to use this image for creating SD. If it doesn't help then unpack this archive into "Android System" partition of SD card created from Marek's image. You will need Linux for the latter.
No difference, I'm afraid. Hey, ho! Thanks for all your help though, it's been very much appreciated.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:55 PM   #75
embryo
Fanatic

Quote:
I was wondering if its possible to add an "if" to the bootloader.

I don't know anything about programming, but can it be done that when the Dual-booting loader in the Nickel card starts booting the extSD, to do it ONLY "if" an extSD is present.
If not, it should continue as normal (and do a factory reset).
Then we wouldn't have a need for another card to reset the device.

Of course, as I said, I don't know how hard or even possible this is...

The other way around would be the start menu that tshering is developing.