Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-14-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
janjanjan
Enthusiast
janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook ST Glow
Can't figure out Open EPub on ST

My Nook is authorized correctly, and I have no problem transferring and opening Adobe EPub books. However, our library has recently begun carrying Open EPub books, and I can't figure out how to use properly.

When I check out one of these on Overdrive, the download link is marked save, not download. I've tried saving directly to the Nook, but can't find the book on the Nook. I tried to solve this, and downloaded a program to read Open EPub, found one called EPub reader. This gives me a library, and lists the books I've saved. I can open the book in the reader and it opens it in a window on my browser. The navigation bar calls this address chrome:epubreader.

I can "move" the book to my Nook ST, saving it into the My Files Books folder. I can see it when I open files. But, when I go to my library to try to read it, I can see only ADE and b&N books.

What am I doing wrong?
janjanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by janjanjan View Post
My Nook is authorized correctly, and I have no problem transferring and opening Adobe EPub books. However, our library has recently begun carrying Open EPub books, and I can't figure out how to use properly.

When I check out one of these on Overdrive, the download link is marked save, not download. I've tried saving directly to the Nook, but can't find the book on the Nook. I tried to solve this, and downloaded a program to read Open EPub, found one called EPub reader. This gives me a library, and lists the books I've saved. I can open the book in the reader and it opens it in a window on my browser. The navigation bar calls this address chrome:epubreader.

I can "move" the book to my Nook ST, saving it into the My Files Books folder. I can see it when I open files. But, when I go to my library to try to read it, I can see only ADE and b&N books.

What am I doing wrong?
Check if the files have the correct file extension: ".epub".
Also check that the dot from the ".epub" extension is the only dot in the filename. If there is more than one dot in the filename the Nook will not recognize the file type.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
janjanjan
Enthusiast
janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook ST Glow
Thank you, Yes

Geertm, At first I couldn't figure out how to check the extension, but once I figured it out, it turns out that the file type is indeed .epub, and there is a single period.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.
janjanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by janjanjan View Post
Geertm, At first I couldn't figure out how to check the extension, but once I figured it out, it turns out that the file type is indeed .epub, and there is a single period.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.
Try to sync the llibary so the Nook builds a new index of its books.

I assume open ePub books are books without DRM?
If that is the case use Calibre to convert the books from ePub to ePub. That will fix problems with badly formatted books.

I cannot think of anything else to try.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:21 AM   #5
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Where on the nook are you saving it?
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
weltonsfancy
Enthusiast
weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet
I have a Nook Tablet and am unable to download directlly from my local library. I have to download the book to Adobe Digital Editions first. Then I use the usb to connect my Nook to computer and drag/drop the books into the Nook.
weltonsfancy is offline   Reply With Quote