Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you feel about DRM?
DRM doesn't bother me. As long as I can read a book on a computer I don't care. 18 6.41%
DRM is evil and should be done away with entirely. 200 71.17%
Quit whining about DRM, it's a dead horse. 13 4.63%
If DRM were a dead horse, DRM would be dead. 9 3.20%
DRM is a useful tool that prevents piracy. 4 1.42%
Some other option not thought of for this poll 37 13.17%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #211
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Well, it looks like there are 4 of us.

We could play bridge together as a break from working and writing.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #212
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can't blame Adobe for using APIs that are part of Windows. But you can blame the makers of Wine for not supporting these APIs.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:36 PM   #213
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can't blame Adobe for using APIs that are part of Windows.
Why not? Does Adobe want its success to be pinned to Windows' market penetration?

Quote:
But you can blame the makers of Wine for not supporting these APIs.
I doubt it's a deliberate choice not to support them. Microsoft doesn't make its code easily accessible to the public, and would prefer that only Microsoft buyers (or at least direct Windows users) could use Windows-based software.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:01 AM   #214
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by no.guru View Post
Maybe VirtualBox would work.
Running a copy of actual MS Windows would, of course, work. But people using Linux understandably regard this as an unacceptable solution. If they wanted to have the hassle/expense of running Windows, they'd be running Windows already.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:08 AM   #215
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
I may be missing something blindingly obvious here, but if you can use an android app to download ADE stuff surely that can be ported a lot easier than a Windows program?
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:19 AM   #216
Mujokan
Connoisseur
Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I wish that DRM removal could be obvious for Linux users. I've found some work arounds under wine, but I find that blog that we're all supposed to google confusing, which leads to dead links, and simply saying "Linux users will find it easy to change the code to plug in"... well, no.
Well, wishing won't make it so! (Homer to Barney) People could get money together to "donate" to people at XDA or something. It would be a bit of trouble to write and maintain after all.

Re. DRM I hope that DRM-free experiments like the Tor Books one become more popular. The ideal situation is like with the Humble Bundle indie games pack, where you pay what you consider fair and there is no DRM. This is actually very profitable but the scale is smaller. Also the audience has a bit more "civic responsibility" than the mass public. Would you make as much money releasing "Harry Potter" using that scheme as you do through a DRM edition? We don't really know but many would have doubts.

The other side of the coin is that the intellectual property industry, in its pursuit of private profit, causes social harms through draconian and questionably useful laws that it lobbies for. From what I understand, arguments that if you don't have strong IP law you do not get innovation are not well supported by evidence. We should be pushing for weaker IP protection, especially in areas like manufacture of generic medicines for countries facing disease epidemics, or right to freedom of speech and open public access on the internet.

Unfortunately the IP lobbying industry has been having a lot of success lately. In the end it is another aspect of the most pressing issue of our times, rich people using their money to influence politicians so that it is easier for them to become more wealthy. This is a feedback loop which has gotten out of control. But that is getting off the topic.
Mujokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #217
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mujokan View Post
Re. DRM I hope that DRM-free experiments like the Tor Books one become more popular. The ideal situation is like with the Humble Bundle indie games pack, where you pay what you consider fair and there is no DRM. This is actually very profitable but the scale is smaller. Also the audience has a bit more "civic responsibility" than the mass public. Would you make as much money releasing "Harry Potter" using that scheme as you do through a DRM edition? We don't really know but many would have doubts.
It's hard to say. I don't have any pirated editions of the Harry Potter books. DRM is not what has stopped me. If I wanted them, I would have them. I don't want pirated editions. Unfortunately, I cannot extrapolate from me to the general public.

DRM hassles do not make me support piracy. They do make me not support publishers.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #218
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
It's hard to say. I don't have any pirated editions of the Harry Potter books. DRM is not what has stopped me. If I wanted them, I would have them. I don't want pirated editions. Unfortunately, I cannot extrapolate from me to the general public.

DRM hassles do not make me support piracy. They do make me not support publishers.
I agree with you. I don't buy or even visit pirate sites but I hate DRM. After spending thousands on ebooks I really don't want to have to rebuy them again if I want to change readers.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #219
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
I agree with you. I don't buy or even visit pirate sites but I hate DRM. After spending thousands on ebooks I really don't want to have to rebuy them again if I want to change readers.
Then your only options are to either not buy any ebooks with DRM, or make the acquaintance of Apprentice Alf.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #220
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mujokan View Post
Unfortunately the IP lobbying industry has been having a lot of success lately. In the end it is another aspect of the most pressing issue of our times, rich people using their money to influence politicians so that it is easier for them to become more wealthy. This is a feedback loop which has gotten out of control. But that is getting off the topic.
I'd say that it's 100% on topic. The entire point of DRM is to grab more power/control for corporations.

After all, DRM is useless for preventing piracy, but it's really good at eliminating consumer rights like fair use and first sale.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #221
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Talking Hurrumph ......

The choice wasn't comprehensive enough for us, but as the nearest, Alf & I ticked DRM doesn't bother us ..........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:34 AM   #222
mclien
42, the answer
mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Pocketbook 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I was referring to the previous poster's claim that "soon we won't be able to buy books without Windows". I don't believe that statement is true; you'll be able to buy them using a Mac.
Oh sorry about that. I sometimes use "windows" as an synonym for "the two closed OS".
I'll try to be more precice next times.
mclien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:29 AM   #223
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Ahh well, back when I made the poll I couldn't think of every option people may come up with, so I did stick "other' on there.

Clearly people who remove DRM sort of "don't like it" otherwise they wouldn't implement ways to disinfect it. I still, as a linux user, don't mind just sticking with the books that come free of DRM already, so I would also choose "DRM doesn't bother me"
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:44 AM   #224
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclien View Post
Oh sorry about that. I sometimes use "windows" as an synonym for "the two closed OS".
I'll try to be more precice next times.
But is even that true? Are older versions of ADE going to stop working? (Genuine question - I don't know the answer.)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drm