Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
StickMaker
Connoisseur
StickMaker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
which model Kindle do I have?

This has got to be as close to a "silly question" as you have seen, but:

How can I tell exactly what model I have?
Product Specifications
Model Number — D00901
Display — 6" diagonal display, 600 x 800 pixel resolution, 16-level gray scale.
Size — 7.48 inches by 4.84 inches by 0.34 inches (190 mm by 123 mm by 8.5 mm).
Weight — Kindle Wi-Fi: 8.5 ounces (240 g); Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi: 8.7 ounces (247 g)
It has only 3.05Gb of (flash) storage space. Wonder how many "average" books that will hold.

NOWhere on my Kindle or the paperwork, does it tell.
StickMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
That's the latest one, I think. Kindle 3 holds around 3 gb of usable storage. Or did you mean if it's wifi only or with 3G?
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You have a Kindle 3. Whether it's the WiFi or the 3G model you can of course tell by seeing if it has 3G options in the menu.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If it has Wifi AND 3G, it has to be a Kindle 3.
The serial number is usually used to determine what "exactly it is."

What are you trying to determine?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
StickMaker
Connoisseur

Thanks to you both; I assumed that. No "3G" options in the menu. Yes, WIFI only.

Is there a "rule of thumb" that suggests how many "average" books this machine will hold? I figure roughly a pile about 214 feet high.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #6
StickMaker
Connoisseur

Just curious; not trying to determine anything but people keep referring to the Kindle 1, Kindle 2 etc and I just did not know other than by assuming it was the 3. s/n B008************

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-28-2011 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Removed personal information (Kindle S/N)
Old 02-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #7
StickMaker
Connoisseur

s/n B008************
Just curious; DiapDealer. People refer to their "Kindle 1" or "Kindle 2" etc but I never knew for sure.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-28-2011 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Removed personal information (Kindle S/N)
Old 02-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #8
StickMaker
Connoisseur

s/n B008************
Just curious, DiapDealer; people refer to their "Kindle 1" or "Kindle 2" etc and I was only assuming I had the 3.
thanks.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-28-2011 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Removed personal information (Kindle S/N)
Old 02-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #9
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
look @ your Serial No.

Quote:
B001 = Kindle 1

B002 = Kindle 2 U.S. (Sprint)

B003 = Kindle 2 International (AT&T)

B004 = Kindle DX U.S.

B005 = Kindle DX International

B006 = Kindle 3 3G + WiFi Graphite/White (U.S. and Canada) NOTE: Some European cities may receive this serial number as well.

B008 = Kindle 3 WiFi

B009 = Kindle DX Graphite

B00A = Kindle 3 3G + WiFi Graphite (Europe)
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:29 AM   #10
StickMaker
Connoisseur

Thanks, all. Very informative. 'preciate it.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:38 AM   #11
StickMaker
Connoisseur

I keep trying to reply but it won't work......
Old 02-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #12
StickMaker
Connoisseur

thanks!
Old 03-01-2011, 06:27 AM   #13
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMaker View Post
Is there a "rule of thumb" that suggests how many "average" books this machine will hold? I figure roughly a pile about 214 feet high.
It really depends on what sorts of books you read. A novel can be anywhere from about 200kb to several megabytes if it's full of pictures.

Books from Amazon itself tend to be bigger than ones gotten elsewhere. Almost a megabyte on average. So that would be 3000 books at that rate. Probably half as much again, but 3000 seems about the minimum you can expect. (If you are using mobi files, anyway, not PDF)
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #14
StickMaker
Connoisseur

Thanks, Jeremy. I'll use that as my "rule of thumb" then and mention that on my new website.
Oh, those repeat postings from me........ due to me not being aware that I should NOT have mentioned my Kindle's serial number in a post. Admin was good enough to catch and fix my error.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #15
StickMaker
Connoisseur

for sure; thanks, Phillip.