Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-23-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
Johansen
Johansen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony SR650
Tagging with author name if empty

Sony 650-PRS

I gave up the Sony Reader Library. Or rather, IT gave up on me. When I get 17(!) error messages when I install a program, and then the program refuses to start after it's initial "welcome, this is going to be great", I give up. I am not adverse to tinkering with programs, but hey... I tinker with the ones that work, in order to make them work better. I stay away from the ones that doesn't work in the first place.

So, I ended with Calibre, and so far, I am happy with this. Some minor problems with connections (things stop etc), but at least the program works.

Now, I seem to be having a problem with organizing my "collection".

When I pick up my Agatha Christie, I want to read about Marple, Poirot or "somebody else". Marple and Poirot are in my "collection", and after some hard work on my part, they are in the correct order. The rest are in "crime". With other authors. AND with Marple and Poirot. Not unreasonable, as "tags" and "series" are both organized in "my collection" on my reader.

But I kind of want to find Marple in "Miss Marple" and not everywhere else.

So, I seem to be giving up "tags" for organizeing my reader (and use it instead to organize my collection in Calibre), and I wonder...

Is it any easy way to get authors name in the series-slot if the series-slot is empty?

Then I would get, in "my collection" on the reader, "Poirot", "Marple" and "Agatha Christie". And I could definitely live with that...
Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
From what I understand you want to create collections from the author names? You can select which metadata fields to create collections from in the Sony device interface plugin (see preferences->plugins->device interface plugins, look for the Sony plugin and customize that).
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johansen View Post
Then I would get, in "my collection" on the reader, "Poirot", "Marple" and "Agatha Christie". And I could definitely live with that...
As Manichean said you can control collections in the Sony device plugin. If you put author_sort with series then Authors would also be listed under collections.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
Johansen
Johansen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony SR650
But then I would have
1. The series by any author as "series" in my collection
2. The author as "author" in my collection, and this "author"-tag would include the series by this author?
Whereas I only want the books NOT in a series to be listed by that author...

I know I am making this a lot harder than it has to be. But the way my mind works, I want my books to be ONE place in my collection unless i do a search.
Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:41 AM   #5
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Create a new Series-type Custom column called nonseries
(You could even use the existing series column)

In entries for books not in a series, put author name in nonseries column and then use the series number to show them in an order your happy with (maybe publish order)

Then in Sony-plugin, add #nonseries to collections
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote