Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-29-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Beta Readers?

Folks, I'm about 2 weeks away from a draft version of Maisy May, and I think I'm really going to need some beta readers. Any help would be greatly appreciated, but gratitude is about the only payment I can offer atm.

Here's a draft blurb:

Quote:
Maisy's never managed to be a good little christian girl. She's emo, loud, and thinks sermons are boring. Then she meets Mark, the epitome of the good christian boy - on the surface. Is church the right place for people with doubts?
Here's what I need:

- Nitpickers! People who pick up every logical and contextual inconsistency while they're reading a book

- Critics! People who can write down exactly what they liked and didn't like about a book

- LGBT Community - Because there's a strong 'gay' theme through MM, I'd love at least one person in the LGBT community to give me feedback on how realistic and/or offensive it feels

- Teens and/or people who work with teens - because it's basically about two Aussie teens growing up in a country city

- Just regular folks! I need someone who doesn't necessarily fit any of the above categories to give me some 'general feel' sort of feedback

You would need to be aware that there's some bad language (not much, though, esp compared to DEAD(ish)), potential for offense in all sorts of different ways, Australian spelling , sexual themes, religious themes, even a bit of violence.

If you're interested, I'd love to hear from you, either in the thread or via PM. Please mention which of the categories above that you fit into, because I'd like to get a fairly even spread.

If you're not interested, don't feel bad. If I don't get a single taker, my world will NOT end
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:25 AM   #2
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I would be happy to read it...

English is my second language, so I don't know how much help I could be... I studied English extensively, when I came here, and I do pick up a lot of mistakes, mostly spelling and punctuation.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2010, 05:33 PM   #3
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I'm interested! I tend to fall into the nitpicker category...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:34 AM   #4
nomesque
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Lene and Am, and those who responded via PM! I'll get back to you all shortly, once I have something solid to send you
Old 03-31-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
I'm interested too! I also tend to fall into the nitpicker category...
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
nomesque

Thanks omk3
Old 04-03-2010, 06:28 AM   #7
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
I've had years of experience in reading (and correcting) teachers' reports. I would probably pick up any spelling or grammar mistakes.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
nomesque

Thanks Laine

Quick update - I've made zero progress in the last week and a half. My toddler had bronchitis and a stomach bug at the same time... I decided that writing while half-asleep may provide some extra-creative material, but perhaps cause some continuity issues.

But now that I've at least partially emerged from the Swamp of Disparity, I'll get a proper list together, make sure I have email addresses to send the material to, and get my butt into gear to finish this thing. Thanks again for the generous offers of help, folks
Old 04-12-2010, 03:22 AM   #9
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Yeah me too ... YOU know I'm a FAN

Don't forget the Laundry Bill
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #10
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
include me, if there's room -

my experience would be over at pgdp (slightly different type of proofing), I groan and cringe at errors in books I've bought ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:39 PM   #11
nomesque

Thanks Kevin and Geoff

I'll be in touch soon, folks.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:00 AM   #12
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
Thanks Kevin and Geoff

I'll be in touch soon, folks.
Puts a bit of pressure on you, doesn't it?
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:29 PM   #13
nomesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
Puts a bit of pressure on you, doesn't it?
Oh yeah, that it does

I'm making slow progress. All I need to do is wrap up my current project at work and I should have time and energy to focus back on poor lil Maisy.