Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 08-11-2017, 03:03 AM   #1
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
Using editor stand-alone on Windows 10

On my Windows 10 system, I have associated EPUB files with the Calibre viewer. However, sometimes I want to use the editor to look inside an EPUB, so I right-click on the file and go to the "open with" menu, and thence to "choose another app" and "more apps" and. I find "C:\Program Files\Calibre2\ebook-edit.exe" "%1", select it and click OK, and it just takes me back to the "choose another app" menu. If I scroll to the bottom, choose "Look for another app on the PC" and locate ebook-edit-exe, it opens the file in the editor as expected.

I know this is a Windows question rather than a Calibre one, but still: can anyone advise me on what to do so that I can easily open EPUBs in the editor if I want to?
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:34 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
On my Windows 10 system, I have associated EPUB files with the Calibre viewer. However, sometimes I want to use the editor to look inside an EPUB, so I right-click on the file and go to the "open with" menu, and thence to "choose another app" and "more apps" and. I find "C:\Program Files\Calibre2\ebook-edit.exe" "%1", select it and click OK, and it just takes me back to the "choose another app" menu. If I scroll to the bottom, choose "Look for another app on the PC" and locate ebook-edit-exe, it opens the file in the editor as expected.

I know this is a Windows question rather than a Calibre one, but still: can anyone advise me on what to do so that I can easily open EPUBs in the editor if I want to?
Something is broken on your system, because that exact scenario gets used almost daily W10 pro x64
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2017, 04:51 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How did you get the "%1" in there? Mine doesn't have that. It just shows...

the calibre e-book editor

Here's what to try. Select the ePub, right click, open with, choose another app, more apps, look for another app on this pc

Now navigate to where the editor lives and select it and go. It might then add the editor to the list for the next time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:48 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Here's what to try. Select the ePub, right click, open with, choose another app, more apps, look for another app on this pc

Now navigate to where the editor lives and select it and go. It might then add the editor to the list for the next time.

Quote:

I'm using Windows 10 Pro, 64bit version 1703

Like Jon, I never see any paths as quoted strings, what you have looks like it comes from a registry value a'la - "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\????\shell\open\command"

I see a standard Windows select file dialogue, the default starting location is always C:\Program Files, from there I navigate to wherever and select an .exe - e.g:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	158373

That said, Windows (W10 even more so) and file associations are 'problematic'. I recently read, it's because MS try to maintain backwards compatibility with OLE/DDE and all that.

All I can suggest is a light weight registry clean (Piroform CCleaner is my choice), and sfc /scannow, failing that reinstall Windows.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:04 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When I was running the beta of Calibre 3, I managed to end up with multiple Calibre editor and viewer in open with more apps. I went into the registry and remove all traces of the editor and the viewer. Then I did a repair install using the Calibre installer. That fixed the entries I took out that should have stayed.
Advert
Old 08-11-2017, 10:32 AM   #6
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Quote:

That's exactly what I did, and it ended up on the list as the pathname complete with the "%1". (But, one other thing -- I'm using the 32-bit calibre because there was a problematic interaction with SpiderOak, so it's actually in the "Program Files (x86)" directory.)
Old 08-11-2017, 10:33 AM   #7
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Like Jon, I never see any paths as quoted strings, what you have looks like it comes from a registry value a'la - "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\????\shell\open\command"
OK, thanks, I'll try giving the registry a quick wash & rinse.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:51 AM   #8
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Aha, I think I found the problem. IIRC, the 64-bit Calibre had a problem saving files ("Save files to disc" in the library manager), which was apparently a known issue when also using SpiderOak, so I uninstalled and installed the 32-bit version, which I've been using ever since. But the registry was full of calibre64XXX keys which hadn't been removed by the uninstaller, so I deleted those (well, the ones I noticed, anyway; there were lots of them...) and all is now well.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Phssthpok; 08-11-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:50 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Aha, I think I found the problem. IIRC, the 64-bit Calibre had a problem saving files ("Save files to disc" in the library manager), which was apparently a known issue when also using SpiderOak, so I uninstalled and installed the 32-bit version, which I've been using ever since. But the registry was full of calibre64XXX keys which hadn't been removed by the uninstaller, so I deleted those (well, the ones I noticed, anyway; there were lots of them...) and all is now well.

Thanks everyone!
You can dump SpiderOak since it's poorly written.

https://tresorit.com/business/spideroak-alternative
Old 08-11-2017, 08:08 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That SpiderOak 'thing' is a nuisance - its been identified as the cause of problems with many things, calibre included

See Calibre FAQ - ==>> calibre occasionally freezes/crashes (and otherwise misbehaves)?

Quote:
If the crashes happen specifically when you are using a file dialog, like clicking on the Add books button or the Save to Disk button, then you have some software that has installed broken Shell extensions on your computer. Known culprits include: SpiderOak, odrive sync ...
If you want to keep your registry tidy I suggest a periodic wash and brush-up with Piriform's CCleaner (formerly known as Crap Cleaner)

BR
Old 08-11-2017, 08:39 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Calibre follows the rules. SpiderOak does not. In that case, SpiderOak has to go.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:37 AM   #12
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Calibre follows the rules. SpiderOak does not. In that case, SpiderOak has to go.
OK, accepted. But the fact that all the calibre64 crap was left in the registry after the uninstall seem to indicate that there is a problem with Calibre uninstallation, too. And if I take out SpiderOak and then switch back to calibre64, will I end up with unpurged crap in the registry from calibre32 which will cause the same sort of problems all over again?
Old 08-14-2017, 05:37 AM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
OK, accepted. But the fact that all the calibre64 crap was left in the registry after the uninstall seem to indicate that there is a problem with Calibre uninstallation, too. And if I take out SpiderOak and then switch back to calibre64, will I end up with unpurged crap in the registry from calibre32 which will cause the same sort of problems all over again?
All what crap - name the specific registry keys. Looking in my registry, I find the following keys, which are created by the Microsoft Trusted Installer

At HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\calibre 64bit I have: desktop_shortcut_installed, start_menu_shortcuts_installed, and system_path_updated, each with a value of 1.

At HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\calibre 64bit\Installer where I have InstallPath with a value of C:\Program Files\Calibre2\

At HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\App Paths\ I have keys for calibre.exe, calibre-complete.exe . . . and ebook-viewer.exe each of which has a (Default) of the executable name e.g. calibre.exe, and a Path which has a value of C:\Program Files\Calibre2\

The only other calibre entries are those I created for the epub file type which has ebook_viewer.exe and ebook_editor.exe in its Open With list.

If you don't want the Windows Trusted Installer to create calibre related registry 'crap' don't install calibre, use the Portable version instead.

Calibre has approximately 2.5 million active Windows users (see Usage Statistics), and you're the only one we know of with this problem. This SpiderOak related post maybe of interest ==>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=36

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-14-2017 at 05:40 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:42 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Obviously, SpiderOak is a very poorly written program. Why do you still want to use it knowing that it's poorly written and causes problems?
Old 08-15-2017, 06:02 AM   #15
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
All what crap - name the specific registry keys.
I had 74 different calibre64.AssocFile, calibre64Editor.AssocFile and calibre64Viewer.AssocFile entries under HKCU\Software\Classes. It was cleaning these out that fixed my problem, but I would have expected them to be removed automatically when I uninstalled Calibre64. I now only have the same number of calibre.AssocFile, calibreEditor.AssocFile and calibreViewer.AssocFile entries, but I now have no confidence that they will be removed if I uninstall Calibre32 to go back to Calibre64.

Last edited by Phssthpok; 08-15-2017 at 06:06 AM.