Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #1
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Any suggestions?

I've run out of books to read. Therefore, I must find new ones... any suggestions?

Authors I like:
Cory Doctorow
Harry Harrison
Orson Scott Card
Poul Anderson

(The lower the price the better -- my ebook budget is not large...... )
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:07 AM   #2
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
From the authors you list, it looks like you're squarely in the realm of science fiction.

You might try the works of Niven and Pournelle. The Mote in God's Eye is available for kindle and very reasonably priced. Also of interest would be Dragon's Egg by Robert L. Forward. It's about a race of aliens who evolved to withstand conditions on the surface of a neutron star, with the result that one Earth hour is equivalent to hundreds of their years.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Second Star (Star Svensdotter #1) or The Star Svensdotter Trilogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
I've run out of books to read. Therefore, I must find new ones... any suggestions?

Authors I like:
Cory Doctorow
Harry Harrison
Orson Scott Card
Poul Anderson

(The lower the price the better -- my ebook budget is not large...... )
How about free, Second Star (Star Svensdotter #1) [Kindle Edition]!

Or for $4.99 The Star Svensdotter Trilogy [Kindle Edition] (also contains a bonus short story).

These are by Dana Stabenow.
alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
In no particular order, a few I've enjoyed recently:

Year Zero by Rob Reid
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Wool by Hugh Howey
Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson
Reamde by Neal Stephenson

I got most of these from my local public library, so, except for Wool, free.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
SF in the Harry Harrison/Poul Anderson vein?
Oh, my; that is a river. I read that as adventure stories with ideas and wonder.

Second to MOTE IN GOD'S EYE. Plus Niven and Pournelle's OATH OF FEALTY.
DESCENT OF ANANSI. FALLEN ANGELS is free at the BAEN free library. (If you haven't just download the whole Free Library.)
S.M. Stirling: CONQUISTADOR, ISLAND IN THE SEA OF TIME (and sequels)
F.M. Busby: RISSA KERGUELEN, DEMU TRILOGY
Larry Niven: THE INTEGRAL TREES, THE SMOKE RING (especially the latter)
Keith Laumer: Retief! (free)
David Drake: Lt. Leary, Commanding (Never mind Leary: Mundy rocks!) (free)
Eric Flint: 1632, 1633 (free)
David Weber: On Basilisk Station, Mutineer's Moon (free)
Philip Jose Farmer: The Green Odyssey, Two Hawks from Earth, The Maker of Universes (Not sure all are available in ebook but if you like Harrison's DEATHWORLD...)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert