Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-22-2013, 04:06 AM   #1
franny0510
franny0510 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Desktop App - login button not working

Hi all

I have had my Kobo touch for a year, works fine. Desktop app on my home laptop works fine.

I have downloaded the desktop app to my work laptop, so that I can reference some of my books at work.

the setup link recognises that my Kobo is already configured.

When I click either of the login buttons, nothing happens.

Any suggestions? Have reinstalled and rebooted to death.

Work laptop - Windows 7 SP1.

any help greatly appreciated.
franny0510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #2
franny0510

So Kobo Help have been unable to solve the problem despite many emails, and suggest it could be the Firewall policy on my office network. So I asked them what the firewall settings should be to allow Kobo through.... They are unable to help and have had to escalate it to another team.
Surely that kind of info should be fairly easy to give me???
Tech Support at my work, also reckon it is the corporate firewall, but need to know what to change to fix it.

Joy....
Old 04-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by franny0510 View Post
So Kobo Help have been unable to solve the problem despite many emails, and suggest it could be the Firewall policy on my office network. So I asked them what the firewall settings should be to allow Kobo through.... They are unable to help and have had to escalate it to another team.
Surely that kind of info should be fairly easy to give me???
Tech Support at my work, also reckon it is the corporate firewall, but need to know what to change to fix it.

Joy....
I seem to remember that there was a key sequence in desktop to enable proxy support... Ctrl p maybe. I wonder if that might help.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I seem to remember that there was a key sequence in desktop to enable proxy support... Ctrl p maybe. I wonder if that might help.
That does sound correct, on OS X it's command (Apple icon key) + Shift + p
You should see the "Proxy has been enabled" dialog indicating it is active.

I'm trying to find out what ports the app uses, but have a feeling it's probably ports 80 and 443 (default ports for http and https). I'm certainly seeing port 80 when I look at the Kobo process via Little Snitch's "Network Monitor".
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ctrl+Shift+P
Old 04-26-2013, 05:04 AM   #6
franny0510

This worked !!! Thanks guys - shame Kobo are not quick at providing responses, this has taken all week.

Frances
Old 04-26-2013, 06:38 AM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by franny0510 View Post
This worked !!! Thanks guys - shame Kobo are not quick at providing responses, this has taken all week.

Frances
To be fair to them, proxy support is not documented, support organizations operate to a very large degree from canned scripts. Also, sharkus is a Kobo employee...