Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Tolino

Notices

Old 06-16-2020, 05:05 AM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Tolino nagging me to upgrade?

I don't remember the Vision 4 HD nagging me constantly to upgrade in the past. I upgraded to 13.2.1, didn't like it, moved back down to 12.2.0 and now, every time I try to do something on the Internet I get "hijacked" to an upgrade screen that I have to click "Later" to get rid of. It's almost like Windows (which I hate and don't use). Is there any way to shut this nag down? I don't want to upgrade to 13.2.1 and I don't want to see the upgrade screen. Did Kobo add this new, irritating "feature?"
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:30 AM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't remember the Vision 4 HD nagging me constantly to upgrade in the past. I upgraded to 13.2.1, didn't like it, moved back down to 12.2.0 and now, every time I try to do something on the Internet I get "hijacked" to an upgrade screen that I have to click "Later" to get rid of. It's almost like Windows (which I hate and don't use). Is there any way to shut this nag down? I don't want to upgrade to 13.2.1 and I don't want to see the upgrade screen. Did Kobo add this new, irritating "feature?"
Make the upgrade and free the Android 4.4.2
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2020, 05:16 AM   #3
AnimalOfArt
Groupie
AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: changing frequently
I guess, the only way to use the Tolino app without this update notification, is going the way Peripathetic described here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=327186

But you would need to look into the app code for yourself and try to fix this. Or tell Peripathetic about it and maybe he will customize it.
AnimalOfArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:10 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Make the upgrade and free the Android 4.4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalOfArt View Post
I guess, the only way to use the Tolino app without this update notification, is going the way Peripathetic described here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=327186

But you would need to look into the app code for yourself and try to fix this. Or tell Peripathetic about it and maybe he will customize it.
It looks like a lot of work — and the instructions to do it seem geared towards Windows. I'm guessing I could do it in Linux but I would have to chase down whatever applications were needed. But, if I looked into it, it might even be easier Linux.

As for being nagged... I guess the reason I never really noticed it before was because I just went ahead and updated. 13.2.1 is the first release I like less than what it is replacing.

I'm experimenting with PocketBook now. One of the main reasons I like Tolinos is because you can buy books directly from *some* eBook stores and borrow books from Overdrive just using the device. PocketBooks give you more options for doing this. And the browser saves your passwords and works with the "three dot" menus.

At any rate, thanks for the answers. I may try hacking a Tolino... right now the idea doesn't appeal to me.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:03 AM   #5
Peripathetic
Enthusiast
Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Tolino Shine 3
Quote:
It looks like a lot of work — and the instructions to do it seem geared towards Windows.
Not really a lot of work. Just change the EPubProd.apk extension to .zip (you can pull the file from the device or take it from a downloaded update.zip file, it's under /system/app/), and modify the text file assets/environments/app.properties.prod inside it, changing UPDATE_CHECK_URL= to anything invalid (like http://0.0.0.0/, details).

Then replace the file on the device (with the original extension, .apk) and make sure the metadata matches (chown root.root, chmod 644, chcon u:object_r:system_file:s0).

On Linux it's just the same as long as you have ADB, which you can install manually or with a package manager, depending on the distribution you are using (apt-get install adb, yum install android-tools, etc.)
Peripathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2020, 12:36 AM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peripathetic View Post
Not really a lot of work. Just change the EPubProd.apk extension to .zip (you can pull the file from the device or take it from a downloaded update.zip file, it's under /system/app/), and modify the text file assets/environments/app.properties.prod inside it, changing UPDATE_CHECK_URL= to anything invalid (like http://0.0.0.0/, details).
Changing that file is easy (I downloaded update.zip and took a look at it), but I'm guessing ADB is required to get to the root of the Tolino? (It is in my repository, I just haven't used it in years, so I'll have to start from scratch.) I'll definitely experiment on my Tolino Vision 2 when I get back to Idaho. I'm also interested in replacing the browser... as mentioned in another thread. If that browser (Bromite?) works like the browser in PocketBook, that means I could download books from Kobo and Google Books, etc., on the Tolino. That would make it worth it right there.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:22 AM   #7
Peripathetic
Enthusiast
Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Tolino Shine 3
Quote:
I'm guessing ADB is required to get to the root of the Tolino?
Theoretically it's possible without ADB: you'd boot into custom recovery (fastboot boot twrp.img in bootloader mode) and then either flash a special update.zip you prepared with the modified EPubProd.apk or copy the file over and adjust permissions using TWRP's Terminal mode (instead of typing the commands you can run a shell script, files can be copied to the device earlier via USB when it's running normally and connected as a Mass Storage Device).

In this scenario you still need Fastboot though, and that is part of the same Platform Tools package as ADB (link to precompiled binaries from Google: https://dl.google.com/android/reposi...test-linux.zip), so it makes little sense in practice.

Without using either ADB or Fastboot it's also possible but getting more complicated: you'd have to generate your own OTA certificate, take out the SD card, mount it in Linux, add the certificate to the whitelist, and sign your custom update.zip with it. This way you can flash the ZIP using stock (standard) recovery.

Or you could just modify the SD card filesystem from within Linux directly. But would still have to take out the SD card from the device first.

Using ADB is the most straightforward way.

Last edited by Peripathetic; 06-26-2020 at 07:26 AM.
Peripathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:32 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peripathetic View Post
Using ADB is the most straightforward way.
I think so. Looking at your instructions – without using it – kind of made eyes glass over. I'll reintroduce myself to ADB when I get back home. Thanks!