Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
namati
namati began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Just change the screensaver GIF files?

Is there any reason not to change, add to or delete the "stock" GIF image files that are used for the screensaver on the Kindle 3? For those of us that feel comfortable in a Linux environment, I would think doing this would be a good option to using the hack. I spent over an hour looking for information on this, but found not one mention of it! I'm afraid to try it on my one and only Kindle.

I did, however, copy the GIF images. If anyone would like them, I'd be happy to pass them along.

Last edited by namati; 02-23-2012 at 11:25 AM.
namati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
no problem with that beside you could fill the root partition, so if you just change them with a couple of custom images it shouldn't be a problem, but if you start putting there, say, 10 of them, I would start worrying You can also check the total size of the originals and be sure you don't go over that. If you want to, then SS hack is the only way
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
namati

Thanks, Giorgio - I think I will give it a try and report back. I like some of the images, but would rather not see a few of them again.

For the curious, my K3 (B008) that was bought a few weeks ago has 24 GIF images totaling ~2.6 MB. I understand older units may have fewer images and they may be in PNG format.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #4
namati

I removed over half of the "stock" images and added five of my own (so far). I converted all the images I used into 600x800 16 bit GIF images. I used the existing naming convention (XX_filename_600.gif where 'XX' is a number starting at '00') to name the images that I added. By renumbering the existing images and my own, I set the order of their display (00_filename_600.gif displays first, 01_filename_600.gif displays second and so on). There appears to be no restriction on what 'filename' is. So far, no problems been experienced after running through the whole set three times manually and at least twice automatically (the SS turning on due to lack of activity).

I did, however, encounter one small problem while working on it. After having deleted all of the images from the directory, I left everything idle long enough for the screensaver to engage. The first time this happened, a blank screen was displayed and the unit woke up with a slide of the power switch. The second time, the unit became unresponsive to the power switch, both by sliding and holding for 15 seconds. As USBNetwork was still active, I copied over an image (for good measure) and rebooted the unit (shutdown -r now). No harm seems to have been done.

The test unit was a Kindle Keyboard (K3) running 3.3_B008.