Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-13-2022, 11:11 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
What about authors that are describing a hand-written letter from someone who can’t make up their mind in what to say???

Strike-through is exactly what you want. Whether you use a <span>, <s>, or <del> tag (<strike> is not supported in HTML5) it is highly recommended to use the ‘text-decoration: line-through’ css to explicitly define the behavior of the tag rather than rely on some “default behavior”.
Is the screenshot from a Kobo displaying KePub? That's where the problem is. The line used is too thin. If there is a way to change the thickness of the line in CSS, I do not know it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 11:40 AM   #32
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2 & Air/Surface Pro/Kindle PW
No. It’s not from a Kobo. I was just responding to Quoth’s statement of not using text-decoration.

The only way I know to change the text-decoration thickness is: text-decoration-thickness: 10%; where the % is of 1em.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 12:35 PM   #33
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLessnau View Post
According to the mozilla.org site:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...tion-thickness

I can use text-decoration-thickness to change the thickness of that line and make it more visible. When I try, the Calibre editor "check book" function doesn't recognize it ("Unknown property").
To quote from the Mozilla page you linked to in the Specification section:

CSS Text Decoration Module Level 4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	css_level.png
Views:	32
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	195846  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 12:47 PM   #34
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

text-decoration-width was changed to text-decoration-thickness at some point… not sure when, and I’m pretty sure it will take a while before everything is updated to use the new term.

Edit: changed in 2019 - still in draft of course

Last edited by Turtle91; 08-13-2022 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-13-2022, 07:05 PM   #35
enuddleyarbl
Evangelist
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
To quote from the Mozilla page you linked to in the Specification section:

CSS Text Decoration Module Level 4
Yep. Sorry. I didn't see that note about the spec level. Also, even if I had seen it, I don't think I'd have realized what it meant. But, after doing a bit more searching on text-decoration-width (which, as Turtle91 pointed out was the earlier term for text-decoration-thickness), I came across this 2016 issue in Github about it:

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/239

Blood was flowing a bit in there. That issue was closed in 2017 because the proposed text-decoration-width solution was accepted into the draft spec of the next css version:

https://drafts.csswg.org/css-text-de...kness-property

It's also interesting that the 2017 issue referenced a 2012 message on the same problem:

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public...2Jul/0445.html

Regardless, I don't think there's any way around this until either something is fixed with kepubs or the next css version goes live.

I haven't tried RbnJrg's method because, frankly, I don't understand it.
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 04:17 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Regardless, I don't think there's any way around this until either something is fixed with kepubs or the next css version goes live.
Even if CSS4 "goes live" and it was taken on board as the next ePub standard, you would need to wait for Kobo to implement it. That could be a very long time or maybe never.
Old 08-14-2022, 08:02 AM   #37
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Even if CSS4 "goes live" and it was taken on board as the next ePub standard, you would need to wait for Kobo to implement it. That could be a very long time or maybe never.
Or they could already be ready and just waiting for the day it becomes final....such pessimism
Old 08-14-2022, 10:16 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Or they could already be ready and just waiting for the day it becomes final....such pessimism
I have experience with such companies not updating to the latest software. RMSDK is not the latest version (for example).
Old 08-14-2022, 12:04 PM   #39
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
I haven't tried RbnJrg's method because, frankly, I don't understand it.
Well, it's not a complicated css code I'll say that is elementary but I will explain you gladly, if you want, what you don't understand.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 06:57 AM   #40
rjwse@aol.com
Addict
rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle epub readers on android
strikethrough any font, any thickness, any color

this is a work around which is a lot of trouble to go to.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	strikethrough.png
Views:	41
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	195874  
rjwse@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 07:27 AM   #41
rjwse@aol.com
Addict
rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle epub readers on android
strikethrough and replacement text

After doing a strikethrough sometimes there will be new text replacing it. Here is an emphatic way of doing that. Pop
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	circle.png
Views:	42
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	195875  
rjwse@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 12:32 PM   #42
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
The circle looks terrible and I've never seen that. Colour is a bad idea for ebooks as about 1/2 are consumed on eInk.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 12:55 PM   #43
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
@DaveLessnau

If you only need to format a handful of words as strikethrough text, you could hard-code them using a special Unicode character:

Combining Long Stroke Overlay (U+0336)

For example:
Code:
<p>This is s&#x0336;t&#x0336;r&#x0336;i&#x0336;k&#x0336;e&#x0336;t&#x0336;h&#x0336;r&#x0336;o&#x0336;u&#x0336;g&#x0336;h text.</p>
Obviously, this isn't a perfect solution.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 01:30 PM   #44
enuddleyarbl
Evangelist
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwse@aol.com View Post
this is a work around which is a lot of trouble to go to.
I tested that with classes on a style sheet instead of with styles on the html/body page. It doesn't work on my Kobo Forma as a kepub. I've got test cases for a strike class and for using <del>, <s> and <striike> tags. In none of those on the Forma does the strikethrough line (I guess a border line with your method) get any thicker. In all cases, it's that 1 pixel thick line. Even more interesting, in the cases of the <del>, <s> and <strike> tags, the struck text is actually lowered on the page. But, the strike class (and putting the text-decoration line as a style in the <span>, keeps the struck text in the proper position.

EDIT: Forgot to include my actual classes:
Code:
@page {
  margin-top: 0;
  margin-left: 0;
  margin-right: 0;
  margin-bottom: 0;
}
.strike {
  text-decoration: line-through;
}
.strike2 {
  text-decoration: line-through;
  text-decoration-style: solid;
  text-decoration-color: black;
  text-decoration-thickness: 30%;
}
sspan, strike, del, s	{
  border-bottom:	10px;
  position:	relative;
  top:	-0.6em;
}
sspan, strike span, del span, s span	{
    position:	relative;
  top:	0.6em;
}
Code:
<p>This is a <span class="strike"><span>strikethrough</span></span> with strike class</p>

<p>This is a <del><span>strikethrough</span></del> with del tag</p>

<p>This is a <s><span>strikethrough</span></s> with s tag</p>

<p>This is a <strike><span>strikethrough</span></strike> with strike tag</p>

<p>This is a <span style="text-decoration:line-through;"><span>strikethrough</span></span> with a style=“text-decoration:line-through;” bit</p>

Last edited by enuddleyarbl; 08-15-2022 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-15-2022, 01:33 PM   #45
enuddleyarbl
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
@DaveLessnau

If you only need to format a handful of words as strikethrough text, you could hard-code them using a special Unicode character:

Combining Long Stroke Overlay (U+0336)

For example:
Code:
<p>This is s&#x0336;t&#x0336;r&#x0336;i&#x0336;k&#x0336;e&#x0336;t&#x0336;h&#x0336;r&#x0336;o&#x0336;u&#x0336;g&#x0336;h text.</p>
Obviously, this isn't a perfect solution.
I think that's the big issue I had with RbnJrg's method: each word would have to be struck uniquely.