Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-06-2022, 06:26 AM   #1
jonlapillerie@gm
jonlapillerie@gm began at the beginning.

Device: Lenovo Thinkpad Windows 11
Windows 10 to windows 11

Hi Everybody
I have very successfully used Calibre on my Lenovo Ideapad running Windows 10. I have now purchased a Lenovo Thinkpad running Windows 11 and wish to copy the entire Calibre setup to it.

I have tried all the steps shown in Mobileread with no success, I keep getting error messages like "Folder is not empty" when it is!

I have copied the Calibre folder to a flash drive and then tried to copy it to the same path on the Thinkpad but no luck.

If anyone has had success perhaps the could post a detailed step by step reply. If not perhaps a member of the Calibre team could try and let me know how if successful.

I am English but have lived in France for the past 30 years and am 76 years old.

many thanks

Yours hopefully

Jon Bayliss
jonlapillerie@gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 06:45 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
See ==>> How do I move my calibre data from one computer to another?

Many people have used it, including at least one person older than yourself.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-06-2022 at 06:47 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 07:03 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

Many people have used it, including at least one person older than yourself.

BR
Make that 2
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 05:51 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've moved my Calibre configuration and data. But I've never exported or imported. I've just copied the relevant directories.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 06:46 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've moved my Calibre configuration and data. But I've never exported or imported. I've just copied the relevant directories.
I've done both with no issue. But export and import is very much faster because there are only big files. About 4000 entries (not all are real ebooks) might mean up to five formats of ebooks, cover and other stuff per entry. The export is 19 files each about 1 G byte, the 19th file being just under 100 Mbyte. A direct copy is over 10,000 files.

Total export/import size is now about 19 Gbytes.

Export or import from local storage (inc USB HDD), but backed up also to a Windows type Share.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 06:02 AM   #6
jonlapillerie@gm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I've done both with no issue. But export and import is very much faster because there are only big files. About 4000 entries (not all are real ebooks) might mean up to five formats of ebooks, cover and other stuff per entry. The export is 19 files each about 1 G byte, the 19th file being just under 100 Mbyte. A direct copy is over 10,000 files.

Total export/import size is now about 19 Gbytes.

Export or import from local storage (inc USB HDD), but backed up also to a Windows type Share.
Hi Quoth
I have Exported all Calibre Data to an external hard disc with no problems. I cannot however Import Calibre from the hard disc onto my new Lenovo laptop.

I have tried everything that I can think of including straight copying from the ext. hard drive to (what I think) is the correct folder on the laptop, but I keep getting stupid messages "folder is not empty" "cannot access this folder" etc.

I will be most grateful for a step by step guide, bearing in mind I am ancient, for transferring Calibre to my new laptop. There are about 30 Libraries and it would be great if the Import function would just grab them from the Ext. hard drive without my having to select folders.

thanks in advance

Jon
Old 08-09-2022, 07:22 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
For each library you exported create an empty folder on the new computer, probably following the same structure. I have my libraries like so:

Code:
D:
    Calibre
        Libraries
            Books
            Covid
            Test
So I would recreate that structure on the new computer.

The folder you Exported to (e.g. F:\CalData) should contain files named part-0001.calibre-data, part-0002.calibre-data…. part-nnnn.calibre-data.

When you Import, first thing is to browse to and select the folder you Exported to: e.g. F:\CalData.

Then for each library you exported, you will be prompted to browse to and select the empty folder you just created for that library.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:29 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Calibre HAS an Export/Import function (on the Library Icon).
This will do all KNOWN (on the quick switch list) Libraries AND the configuration. (this makes use of a custom 'spanned zip type archive')

This IS NOT done by using the Adding Books or a traditional backup copy.

BTW 30 Libraries??? WHY? IMHO the reason for different ones are: Access Limiting, 2)structural needs (to keep things efficient by reducing column count)
Old 08-10-2022, 07:38 AM   #9
jonlapillerie@gm

30 Libraries

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Calibre HAS an Export/Import function (on the Library Icon).
This will do all KNOWN (on the quick switch list) Libraries AND the configuration. (this makes use of a custom 'spanned zip type archive')

This IS NOT done by using the Adding Books or a traditional backup copy.

BTW 30 Libraries??? WHY? IMHO the reason for different ones are: Access Limiting, 2)structural needs (to keep things efficient by reducing column count)
Each library contains a number of books either from a series or a specific author.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:04 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Network the two computers. Then copy the directories from one computer to the other.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:19 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlapillerie@gm View Post
Each library contains a number of books either from a series or a specific author.
Seems like you are stuck in the way of doing things, where a book had 1 place you could find it: Shelved in X section, uder Y

Calibre is more like the old Card Catalog on Steroids. Every ting about a book is TAGGED (the usage named on the Left side).
Want an Author: Select. Want a Topic: use the Topic (set in 'Tags' in Calibre)
The advantage ... ONE copy of the book, but can be found by ANY combination of tags.
BTW I have many series that SOME MEMBERS (books) are written by or with co-authors. That makes the old school method really awkward to set up.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:34 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Network the two computers. Then copy the directories from one computer to the other.
This is one case where I do use this. An OS copy is pretty reliable.
BUT
Do NOT have any program using those folders at EITHER END to avoid locking issues.

Note the following goes against the advice on Networked Libraries.
If these are real Calibre Libraries , I have had excellent success using Calibre to PULL FROM the remote Library. (The same 2 Libraries randomly have issues if I Pushed to the other) WIRED NETWORK

Make sure the source Library is not in use (Calibre not running on that system)
Switch to the remote Library using the Library Icon (Create/Switch:use Existing if needed to set up). MAKE NO other CHANGES to the remote Library while connected this way
Select books: Right click: Copy to Library: <the one you are at> :<delete after is an option>
Find duplicates :Find LIBRARY Duplicates works great here

As always, when going against the masters guidance: Take precautions
YMMV

Tags
windows 10 to 11