Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-21-2022, 11:00 PM   #1
C.S.
Enthusiast
C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Points for Kindle Books

Is anybody else seeing this?

From my own anecdotal experience: $1.99 books seem to be 10 points, $2.99 books are $15 points, and probably onward and upward.

I have no idea what the points are for though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kpoints.png
Views:	5510
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	197296  
C.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 11:07 PM   #2
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Looks like they might following Kobo's lead. Kobo's had a points system since time immemorial, rack up enough points, use them to 'buy' a book. If Amazon is doing similarly, it makes me much more likely to check therm out now
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2022, 11:33 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I see it too. Not just for Kindle books, print also.

Perhaps a new feature being tested that was accidentally turned on too soon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	points.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	197298  

Last edited by jhowell; 10-21-2022 at 11:37 PM.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 12:55 AM   #4
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Doing a bit of research to figure out how to redeem points and how points are calculated, it seems you need to enroll in a Rewards program to take advantage of the points.

Most of the program options seem directly aimed at US citizens.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	amazonrewardpoints.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	197299  
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 12:59 AM   #5
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
Doing a bit of research to figure out how to redeem points and how points are calculated, it seems you need to enroll in a Rewards program to take advantage of the points.

Thanks for that , no need for me to switch my preferred ebook store just yet it seems
Advert
Old 10-22-2022, 08:06 AM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post

Those are points associated with a credit card. I can make purchases at any store, earn points on my Chase card, and redeem them automatically at Amazon.

This is different. These points appear to be earned only for books. And Kindle books earn twice as many points as paper books that cost the same.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 10:58 AM   #7
CathyA
Zealot
CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
This looks like that summer rewards program they did last year. You got points for buying Kindle books, print books or borrowing Prime books, and then you could redeem points for e-book credits. Maybe they're extending the program to all users, or maybe a bug caused the old points display to reappear.

edit: here's an article with some screenshots showing how the rewards worked https://booksliced.com/books/amazons...wards-program/
CathyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 02:36 PM   #8
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Those are points associated with a credit card. I can make purchases at any store, earn points on my Chase card, and redeem them automatically at Amazon.

This is different. These points appear to be earned only for books. And Kindle books earn twice as many points as paper books that cost the same.
Ok, thanks for clearing that up.
Two different point reward systems... that's not confusing at all
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 02:21 AM   #9
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KPW3, KOA3, KF7 (2019)
From what I've seen, this has been a thing on Amazon's Japanese Kindle Store for some time now (I poked around there to try and fetch some Japanese ebook covers manually).

Interesting that they are finally bringing it here, though.
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 02:36 AM   #10
innocenat
Zealot
innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PPW5, Quaderno A4, Supernote A6X, Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcatalex View Post
From what I've seen, this has been a thing on Amazon's Japanese Kindle Store for some time now (I poked around there to try and fetch some Japanese ebook covers manually).

Interesting that they are finally bringing it here, though.
In Amazon Japan, it's not specific to Kindle. Most items sold by Amazon also accrue points, and points can also be spent (1pt = 1 yen) buying anything on the platform, not limited to just Kindle and physical books.
innocenat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 06:46 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
So far, I’ve only seen this once. I’ve clicked on a couple of dozen today without seeing ‘points’.

Whatever it is, it does not seem very valuable in terms of promoting purchases until Amazon lets us know what they are good for.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 07:32 PM   #12
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
So far, I’ve only seen this once. I’ve clicked on a couple of dozen today without seeing ‘points’.

Whatever it is, it does not seem very valuable in terms of promoting purchases until Amazon lets us know what they are good for.
a/b testing maybe?
Old 10-25-2022, 10:56 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
a/b testing maybe?
It would be more like bad a/b testing, e.g. some other change was object of a/b test, but they accidentally included 'points' (which if they were testing THAT, should have an associated explanation and somewhere else where you could see how many points you've accumulated).

It's reasonable to expect they are something like Kobo bookstore's (from what I gather, I've never bought from them).

I usually qualify for the 'Buy $X, get $Y credit' promotions without much effort, and am sometimes tempted by limited time credits towards books written by the same author of a book I just finished. Not sure how or if this would influence my purchasing pattern.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 08:20 PM   #14
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I don't have this unfortunately. I checked my mother's account just out of curiosity, and it's not on hers either.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 09:46 AM   #15
CathyA
Zealot
CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
In my Amazon (U.S.) account, they've now reconnected the Kindle Points and Rewards pages that they previously used during the summer reading progam. Still in beta though. See attached screenshots. Here's the page from which they were taken: https://www.amazon.com/Rivers-London.../dp/B01ABNB8EW

I also have a different thing called "Great on Kindle" where I can get a $2 credit in addition to the points. That's shown on this page: https://www.amazon.com/World-Travel-.../dp/B083SN8RF7
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2022-10-27 063745.png
Views:	147
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	197391   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-10-27 063818.png
Views:	149
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	197392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-10-27 063912.png
Views:	151