Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-04-2019, 12:00 AM   #1
kathyfromboston
kathyfromboston began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Transfer only part of library to different computer

I have searched through the forums and cannot find my exact question. I needed to send my laptop (where my current Calibre library is located) in for repair. While it was gone, I used my old laptop to manage my ebooks and Nook. I have my repaired laptop back and I only want to transfer the books that I added for a few weeks in January to my current laptop.
The instructions to transfer the entire library to a new laptop is easy to find and this is what I did when i first got my new laptop. The Calibre library on my old laptop has quite a few books on it that I do not wish to move and I do not want to end up with two libraries on my current laptop.

Is there a way that I can choose specific books - even if it can only be done one at a time - and export/import to a different laptop into the existing Calibre library. I have tried several copy/paste ways, but none have been successful. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
kathyfromboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:25 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@kathyfromboston - try this
  • Create a new folder on the 'old' laptop- call it New Books
  • Start calibre on the 'old' laptop
  • Create a library in the New Books folder
  • Switch to the 'old' library on the 'old' laptop
  • Sort by Date and select the books you added in January
  • Copy those books to the New Books library
  • Close calibre
  • Copy the New Books library to a thumb drive
  • Put the thumb drive into the repaired laptop
  • Start calibre on the repaired laptop
  • Switch to the New Books library on the thumb drive
  • Select all the books
  • Copy the selected books to your real library
The Switch/Create tool is in the library icon dropdown. The Copy to library tool is probably in the book list context (right click) menu, if not use Preferences->Toolbars and menus to add it to a menu/toolbar

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-04-2019 at 01:28 AM. Reason: clarity
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:27 AM   #3
kathyfromboston
kathyfromboston began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
That worked perfectly!! Thanks so much for the excellent step-by-step instructions.
kathyfromboston is offline   Reply With Quote