Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-07-2019, 03:59 PM   #1
calvinder
calvinder began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet / Kindle
Duplicat book folders

Good day
I am fairly new to Calibre and don't use it very often but here goes.
My wife has a large Calibre file and today noticed that most the books in it are there twice and in the same format IE mobi or epob. If I look in a folder for an author there are two folders for each book and both contain the same folders with the same name but the number on the end is different. If I open them they contain the exact same files.
The Calibre folder is 19.7 GB and contains over 21.000 folders and 52.000 files according to file explorer. I went into Calibre and it says I have 7042 books I then selected all of them and clicked save to disk and saved them to a new folder. File explorer shows it is 8.3 GB and contains just over 11.000 folders and 23.500 files.

I would like to find a way to direct Calibre to the new folder and keep the data of books that are stared, read, marked to read and other data in columns that my wife has created. I cant seem to do this and believe it's because the number at the end of the folder name that Calibre uses to identify the folder is gone in the new folder.

I tried the Find Duplicates plugin and it does not find duplicates.

I have also tried using a program to find duplicate folders and files in a specific folder or directory. it would not recognize them because they have the same name but with a different number on the end.

Any suggestions and thanks in advance

Calvin
calvinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:25 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Try doing a Library Maintenance / Check Library and if the first pass finds no errors do the optional second pass.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:39 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
And after that
Get and run the Find Duplicates Plugin

Preferences: adding books: Adding Actions (tab): Auto-merge (set to your choice)

That will control NEW adds
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:45 PM   #4
calvinder

Thanks PeterT
That worked perfectly You rock!!!
Old 02-07-2019, 07:41 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinder View Post
Thanks PeterT
That worked perfectly You rock!!!
If that worked, someone overlayed (restored) a Library on top of the existing one.

Never add or delete (or even rename) files or folders within a Library. That messes up the linkages recorded in the DB

Full backups or restores should be done using the Export/Import tool on the Library Icon. If you have not done so, do one now. That even captures your plugins and settings (yes, you can restore just the settings)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:20 PM   #6
calvinder

The ducks
Ya that makes scene when I look back at our backups it has always been that big even before we has Calibre
Thanks